I think I have Tarot Bulimia

WalesWoman

sravana said:
Be careful what you wish for!

If you read around here, nothing is much worse than re-purchasing decks at a premium...

Yah, that IS the truth. I still give decks away to people I think will meld with them, but am trying to avoid tarot purges when in a tarot reading slump, because it won't matter what decks, I can't read any of them. Last time I did that, I gave away my VR and then when I decided I wanted it... there were very few copies to be had and the price had doubled.

I try not to feel guilt over the decks I do have because I think I am getting some very good ones (and have some really bad ones too), but justify it by telling myself, by the time I'm dead and gone, my kids might have something valuable to sell on ebay.

emmsma

Yes, I guess the reading slump is part of it. I've been feeling lately that I have so many decks. I have a hard time choosing a deck - on those slumpy days. I spend more time looking at them than reading with them.

(Most days that isn't a problem for me.)

That is a large part of my enjoyment of them - the looking. The comparing of one decks artwork/interpretation to another.

Some days, though, I wish I could just read.
(Having a lovely weekend migraine, so don't mind my self-flagellation.)

Going to look at some cards. Minchiate always makes me feel better.
Oh, and La Corte dei Tarocchi.

irisa

hunter said:
Why do I feel so much more guilty about tarot than regular books?

I wish I knew the answer to that one :)

I'll buy 3 or 4 novels and not think anything of it - but load a couple of tarot decks in the cart and I feel guilty - the kind of guilty that hides them away and then pretends I've had them for ages and not just bought them. And why? No-ones going to say anything about it and if they did why would I care no-one tells me what to spend my money on. It's really weird though now you've pointed it out.

irisa :)

nisaba

<grin> People *so* agonise about the oddest things ...

Gypsyspell

Yes ,there is the recession -but I think there is a widening gulf between those who have and have not-I am speaking in general terms,not Tarot. And i wonder myself why it is that the have nots,less well off,poor, are the ones who mainly feel the need to justify ownership of anything?
Whereas, the more affluent members of society seem to bask in their possessions! brag they live on snob hill ,feel so important, drive such and such a car ,have this type of career etc....Just my observations....
And the society we live in spends a fortune on warfare rather than welfare!
Leaves the seriously corrupt in charge! Does'nt help the needy,when they are far better equipt to do so!
I don't collect cards but if i did i would feel No guilt ,i am so personally angry at so much other money used so unwisely!!!!
Sorry, this is also about some other personal stuff --im venting!!!
I just discovered a disability service organisation-i have been venting at has just blown another $700.000 ,on yet another exercise in futility!

olivia1

hunter said:
Binge and purge. Binge and purge. Ugh!

Me, too. I don't like having too many decks, so I will eventually be selling a recently purchased OOP deck to make room for a deck that just went back into print. When it comes to tarot, I prefer to be a minimalist.

hunter

Gypsyspell said:
And i wonder myself why it is that the have nots,less well off,poor, are the ones who mainly feel the need to justify ownership of anything? Whereas, the more affluent members of society seem to bask in their possessions!

I know I have a variety of base chakra deficiencies. My dissociation/lack of grounding foremost, but also fears of having possessions and taking up space. Some chakra books say we inherit our base chakra deficiencies. Interesting. I was born wealthy, but had many relatives who barely survived their poverty and was thrown into poverty myself at 6 years old.

Maybe some of us have inherited a discomfort of acquiring possessions, thinking we are stealing more than our fair share from a world where there isn't abundance?

Today I took out every one of my decks and picked a card from each. Even the $4.00 decks I messed up trimming and only have because I didn't think they were good enough to give away.

It took 4 hours and every deck to get to where I felt better and knew how to move forward. Today I feel the right to have all my decks...but I know the guilt will set in at some point :-(

Irisa, what's with us pretending we bought the decks long ago? How is that supposed to make it better? So weird :-0

olivia1

Gypsyspell said:
Yes ,there is the recession -but I think there is a widening gulf between those who have and have not-I am speaking in general terms,not Tarot. And i wonder myself why it is that the have nots,less well off,poor, are the ones who mainly feel the need to justify ownership of anything?
Whereas, the more affluent members of society seem to bask in their possessions! brag they live on snob hill ,feel so important, drive such and such a car ,have this type of career etc....Just my observations....

I believe it. But I think its more the person rather than the social class. Maybe there are just more braggarts in general (which is why there are so many people who max out there cards, living beyond their means). The school I went to had a lot of rich people but interestingly enough, I noticed that the richest ones were the ones who were also the cheapest and would actually try to pretend to be "poor" just so they wouldn't have to pay for everyone else.

ETA:not to say that everyone who maxes out their cards are braggarts but I think you all get what I am trying to say.

victoria.star

I collect books (that I love) and Tarot cards (that I love).
I try to keep my spending within my means and share with others as much as I am able.
:heart:
Enjoy your cards!

ilweran

I've never really felt part of any social class, or that I should boast about or feel guilty about owning things. Sometimes I feel vaguely bad about spending the money when it could have been spent on something 'more important', but that's usually fleeting.

Sometimes I want to have a clear out as I'm a bit of a natural hoarder with daydreams of minimalism :D I do have a bit of a hard time letting go of things though - sometimes because they remind me of something, like the Tarot of the Orishas, don't like that deck but it reminds me of the lovely day out in Lincoln when I bought it.