il Meneghello Tarot Cards

starlightexp

Does anyone know where one can get a list of all the cards made by them?

starlightexp

Woo Hoo thanks!!! I think I may have a new obsession

Le Fanu

Anyone out there know if the Meneghello Dotti (1845) is similar to the Soprafino? The two decks look very similar. I have the Soprafino and am thinking of ordering the Dotti, but would like to be able to see more of the Dotti deck first...

Anyone know a link where I can see more?

shaveling

Le Fanu said:
Anyone out there know if the Meneghello Dotti (1845) is similar to the Soprafino? The two decks look very similar. I have the Soprafino and am thinking of ordering the Dotti, but would like to be able to see more of the Dotti deck first...

Anyone know a link where I can see more?

Here's a link to Mark Filpas's review, with pictures and comparisons between the two decks.

The decks are the same size, my Dotti is laminated, my Soprafino isn't.The engraving on the Dotti is, I agree with the review, not quite so fine as the other. Also I think the artwork fills the space a bit better on the Soprafino. The Dotti shuffles wonderfully, and doesn't intimidate me quite as much as the other. (With the Soprafino, I feel sometimes like Oscar Wilde, not being able to live up to his blue china.)

I believe I've read that this is the deck WB Yeats used. But I can't say where I read that.

Greg Stanton

I love this publisher too.

May I recommend one of my very favorite decks -- whimsical, non-traditional imagery, but sort of between a Marsailles and a RWS, art-nouveau-ish... I Naibi di G. Vacchetta. These cards are unvarnished, and the colors are lovely. I use it for special readings only.

Lo Scorobeo publishes (or published) a re-colored version of this deck called "Tarot of the Master". I don't like it nearly as much as the il Meneghello version.

WolfSpirit

I agree with you, Greg. I also love the I Naibi.
But there are people here who prefer the LS version, tsk ;)

Le Fanu

Something I decided last month, is to allow myself to buy one or two Meneghellos decks per month as they really are the best decks on the market and if you order them online, they work out at what my local shop charges on the bog-standard US Games decks anyway. For me, a Meneghello from Alida is the same as - say - the Gil tarot in my local store. No comparison really.

And Im in the process (sounds like therapy - it IS to some extent!) of learning to use my Meneghello Soprafino NOT for special occasions. It WILL stand up to use and deserves to be used and not purely drooled over. Ive made a list of five Meneghello decks Im going to order over the next few months during my U:S Games boycott! I just wondered whether the Dotti should be on the list.

O and thank you V much Shaveling for the link and the fascinating titbit; about WB Yates. I shall remember that forever now! And I totally agree with what you say about the art on the Soprafino "filling" the space well.... (not sen the Dotti so can´t compare...)

prudence

Yes, on that Naibi...I love mine....another great deck from them is the Bologna, by Giacamo Zoni, small and gorgeous, no lamination. Looks like an antique. It is one of my all time favorite decks. The way the faces are rendered is wonderful, it's a deck full of gentle, smiling people...even the Devil is a very charming, happy looking dude.

SolSionnach

WolfSpirit said:
I agree with you, Greg. I also love the I Naibi.
But there are people here who prefer the LS version, tsk ;)
I'd be one of them - if you trim the awful green borders off the LS version, the colors pop out nicely, and are very tasteful. The Meneghello one has much thicker, coarser black lines, and the colors are downright garish!