I'm feeling at Risk...

HighPriestesss

lark said:
I'm a Pisces too so I know what you mean. :)
Sometimes being a reader really pushes your nose up against the seedy side of life.

YaY!! A fellow Pisces!!

Seedy indeed, seems on a regular basis these days.

HighPriestesss

AJ said:
I was a hairdresser for many years and got the same stories. I often felt like I knew some of my customers better than their families did.

Maybe it is the telling that is important, not the reader or listener.

I hope you don't have any aggressive step-customers.

Funny you should mention hairdressing, AJ, as I cut hair (for my mom) too, and I'm her active audience for her dumping ground. Ugh! And it's always about my dad, and I would so much like to hold my hands to my ears and sing LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAA!!!! Wouldn't make for a good cut tho.... :)

"the telling" as in 'get-it-off-your-chest' type thing and it'll go away inside one's head? Maybe that will work for ME!! My vulnerability will go away now that I've laid my feelings out...

Aggressive step-customers: those are the ones I'm fearing (if they're out there). I like that you've put a label on them! "ASC"

Debra

The people in the shop where I read are sensitive and smart and keep an ear out for all of our safety and welfare. This might be something to discuss with the shop owners and the other readers.

HighPriestesss said:
I read the card truthfully, as that's what they're paying me for.

I'm in agreement.

nisaba

HighPriestesss said:
Has anyone experienced "behavior problems" from either Sitter's spouse or other family member who learned what was discussed during the reading, and want to "take it out" on that Source? You know what I mean. They found out it was YOU who saw the other woman, and want to seek revenge? How dare you reveal their dirty little secret type thing?

I can't seem to shake this somewhat paranoid feeling!

HP
What you describe has never happened to me: I did my first paid reading in 1980 and have been reading very consistently for a long time.

Out of all those thousands of clients, I only twice had a *moment*: once when a husband who took umbrage to his wife potentially discussing their business with a stranger burst into the alcove and physically dragged her out during a reading (didn't pay any attention to me whatsoever), and once when I *knew* a woman was going back home into danger: I advised her to visit a friend but she went home anyway, and ended up in hospital.

No one has ever blamed me for their marital problems, and in neither of these cases was there an issue of a triangular nature, more a case of a controlling individual wanting to maintain absolute control.

There's been a hell of a lot of readings when nothing untoward has happened at all, and I myself have never once been at risk.

Alissa

High Priestess, I have been in a similar situation so I do understand.

The spouse of the Sitter was NOT PLEASED about me and I became persona non grata after reading about the less savory aspects of the sitter's spouse.

Here are my two points, briefly:

1. Reading for more money means the stakes are higher. If a sitter pays $5 for a 5 minute palm reading, they're having a laugh and satisfying their curiousity. If they're paying $50 an hour for a reading, and need several hours of readings and counselling, they're not laughing any more. They're scared, they're upset, they're frightened, they're heart broken... they don't pay that much to have a laugh and be entertained. So I agree, the more you go pro, the worse off you see in the subjects of readings.

'Cuz all of humanity comes down to money and sex. And nearly every reading I've ever done as a Big Time Pro (chortle at self, but you know what I mean) is about money or sex. About 3% ends up being about spirituality (past life, current spiritual path, etc). Oh sure, it may be a "Career" reading, or a "Relationship" reading... but it's all about money and sex. Toys and candy.

2. A good reader is The Mirror. If the spouse doesn't like you, it's because there are aspects to himself and his life that he doesn't like, and he sees those aspects in you and your readings.

Being The Mirror is perhaps the nastiest part of being a pro reader. Risky? I guess so, but it depends on what they see and hate about themselves, so try to remember that as they turn it into a very personal attack against you (be that an attack of words, reputations, whatever).

Grizabella

But what about the fact that we can be wrong? Why would you tell someone a spouse is unfaithful, knowing (or at least, I hope you know) there's a fairly good chance you can be wrong?

If you insist on telling the sitter things like this, isn't it better to preface it by reminding them that you're just telling them what the cards seem to say, as you in particular interpret them, but that you could be wrong? Even if you're reading the cards right, I don't think it's right to say "Yeah, your husband/wife is cheating on you" without prefacing it with that disclaimer. You could get someone killed if you don't disclaim or at the very least, you could destroy a marriage and probably a family as well, only to have it turn out you were wrong.

Yes, things like that do put the reader in jeopardy and not surprisingly.

Baroli

I know Griz and understand what you are saying,....so forgive me if I sound a little hard. Well maybe not hard, but well, realistic???

If you don't want to take the "risk" of being wrong, then a person who feels they are a professional reader, maybe should reassess. If the reader is not willing to lay it out for the customer, because afterall, that's what they are paying the reader for, then maybe they should step back and continue to practice until they can step up and take the responsibility for what they do.

When someone calls and makes an appointment, they're making a call for help. It's up to us to help, good or bad,....I agree with HP you read the cards truthfully as you can. If you are wrong, well there is a lesson in that as well for the sitter.

Just my opinion,....

Rev_Vesta

I understand there are many different types of readers out there and when they read Tarot they may use other tools/skills/abilities to enhance their Readings........

When I read I type out the reading and the messages i get and the interpretation I get from Spirit I believe is the truth........(as taken me awhile to get there after I recieved a message from a Medium/ Clairvoyant etc.......)
he asked me why I did not trust the interpretation of the message I receieved from Spirit was 100%........my answer I did not know I did not trust in myself .....The Message "I must trust the message I recieve from Spirit, I must trust in my ability to interprete the message and must trust I give it to the client in a kind and loving way.......and with integrity........"

This is not ego based but based in trust and love for The Spirits that Guide and work with me while I do readings and healings......

I must admit in NZ, the community is very open to Tarot, we may get a small minority that shout the loudest when they don't agree, but very few.....

The readings Spirit Brings to me are usually involved with Relationships, abuse.. needing to move on, let go, release.........(As I have been there and worked through it...)

I do get a few with career, Spiritual path, and confirmation of their great path they are travelling......

I do work from Home so surround myself with Crystals, protective light, the Protective Symbols etc..........

AS we all travel individual paths we must allow ourselves to trust in the Universe, acknowledge what we receieve and inteprete it to our best ability..........and always deliver the message with love and kindness, no matter what the message is , it must also be delivered with integrity.....

Namaste....

Vesta

Nevada

Baroli said:
If you don't want to take the "risk" of being wrong, then a person who feels they are a professional reader, maybe should reassess. If the reader is not willing to lay it out for the customer, because afterall, that's what they are paying the reader for, then maybe they should step back and continue to practice until they can step up and take the responsibility for what they do.
But what if you're wrong? I mean anyone, no matter how good, can be wrong.

My doctor might know what I have looks like cancer, but he's going to do tests before he tells me I have cancer. I don't think it's responsible to give someone information that could be damaging when I don't know for sure. I'd feel more comfortable suggesting they check things out, and that I could be wrong. If I thought someone was ill I'd suggest they get a checkup, not diagnose them. Isn't this the same thing?

So am I not qualified to read for people?

I'm not positive about this, but I don't think even a licensed family counselor who saw all the signs of cheating would tell the spouse your husband is cheating on you. I suspect they'd wait until they knew.

HighPriestesss

nisaba said:
...a stranger burst into the alcove and physically dragged her out during a reading (didn't pay any attention to me whatsoever)

OMG! That's bad enough!