in times of trouble, tarot?

Ethereal

i was wondering if anyone has had tarot become a comfort for them, in times of troubles where there seemed to be no answers, anywhere. if so, i would love to hear anyone's example of how tarot helped; any and all experiences around this welcomed. thank you.

RunningWild

I spend the majority of each day alone. Even when I was employed full-time I probably said no more than five complete sentences on any given day. So my dog and the cards have become my closest friends and allies.

If there's trouble brewing, I'll consult a tarot deck long before I ask another human being about it.

loaa boa

I find them very comforting at times. i can't think of any one situation but i can ask questions that i wouldn't ask anyone else.

caridwen

i was wondering if anyone has had tarot become a comfort for them, in times of troubles where there seemed to be no answers, anywhere. if so, i would love to hear anyone's example of how tarot helped; any and all experiences around this welcomed. thank you.

Many many times. This is a wonderful thread so thank you for starting it:)

I consult my cards before anyone else and they are now an integral part of my life. If they don't give me the answers I want they at least give me insight into the situation. They have saved me from heartbreak by repeatedly telling me that 'special' person wasn't so special:laugh:

Like everyone else or a lot of people, I prefer to believe what I want to hear but the cards have woken me up many times. Consultng them has also brought perspective.

Alta

Yes, I find that tarot helps me to explore troubling and confusing situations. And if I do consult with others, it at least gives me a starting point, a way to approach them.

poivre

in times of trouble?
Yes!

Many times, when I'm down and out
I take my cards and just sit and play.
I also like I Ching for troubled times.

Cards gives us personal comfort, when needed
because of our belief in them. :)

Chiriku

It has not become a consistent source of advice or comfort.

I don't know if it can, for me. I recently started a thread that explored exactly why my 15 years of tarot have included relatively few self-readings (compared to readings for others or academic study). A lot of it has to do with being introspective to a fault to begin with and then on top of that, having a reliable and sage circle of close family that serves as a frequent and intensive sounding board. By the time I'd make it to the table to do a reading, the issue has been picked apart by half a dozen people.

However, I did recently go through a brief but tumultuous period, one that was so bewildering and mentally disturbing that even after I had had the usual analytic conversations with the usual folks, as well as turned the issue over and over in my own head, there was still room left over for another source of "answers."

Even if the tarot provides no more concrete answers than those educated guesses and speculations of intelligent folk with wide experience of the world, it is still a balm to the unsettled mind to imagine that the tarot might provide even a shred more inkling of insight than that to which I already had access.

But I did not do frequent readings on the subject. I did exactly two (within a month of the tumultuous event). And each had a different focus.

I believe that any utility a reading on an important subject--particularly an angsty or "troubled" one-- may have is diminished by constantly throwing cards at it. The mind needs to dwell upon the "answers" (such as they are) that it's given, and continue, over time, to mine further meaning from those same initial cards.

I believe that people going through trauma or pain who are tempted to do frequent readings on the same fraught subject would do much better to periodically pull out the cards from the original reading and try to absorb their meaning in different ways. For instance, they could blog/journal about them, write a story with them, make up a proverb or affirmation phrase with them, or even, if it fits with their beliefs, do some sort of ritual with them.

Masa

Definitely. I can't think properly when I keep my thoughts inside my head; I have to talk to someone, or write things down. Playing with tarot makes an excellent penseive, for me.

Ethereal

i have gotten so much from reading everyone's perspectives on how tarot can comfort them in times of need or trouble. also, chiriku what a wonderful perspective, there! i personally have found them also, at times, can answer questions,and provide answers and insight where others or myself could not. i have wondered about this for sometime, wondered what other people's experiences were with the cards, so i thought this might be an interesting thread to start. any more experiences and insight welcome so, please do post!

Cassandra022

indeed. this is a large part of why i've gotten so into tarot the last 1-2 years, i think...