in times of trouble, tarot?

Carla

i was wondering if anyone has had tarot become a comfort for them, in times of troubles where there seemed to be no answers, anywhere. if so, i would love to hear anyone's example of how tarot helped; any and all experiences around this welcomed. thank you.

Many times. I have turned to them a lot over the last year, and they kept telling me not to worry about my job, and guess what. I didn't lose it. :)

punchinella

For me, in times of worry (which is more often than not as I am born to worry) tarot is a great source of comfort but not of objectivity. Perhaps this is because I read too frequently, as Chiriku describes. I will just sit and chat with my cards--for hours sometimes, flipping cards over as questions arise about every aspect of the problem. There is no objectivity in this at all, which is why I think of it as talking to myself--and not "higher self" or any sort of exalted spiritual being, just plain old ordinary me. Although I know there's no objectivity, I still find it comforting, like a crackling fire or old pair of boots.

Chiriku, you are fortunate to have such an extensive and capable support network--so that you do not need to resort to using tarot to divide yourself, for purposes of analytical dialogue, into multiples :laugh:

Le Fanu

And let's not forget the small comfort of shuffling a favourite deck as a mere distraction in times of anxiety. Better than biting your nails.

Elendil

And let's not forget the small comfort of shuffling a favourite deck as a mere distraction in times of anxiety....

Absolutely! A calming period before the cards have their say and give their insight - often picking up on those things we just cannot (or choose not to) see at times...

Glass Owl

For me, in times of worry (which is more often than not as I am born to worry) tarot is a great source of comfort but not of objectivity. Perhaps this is because I read too frequently, as Chiriku describes. I will just sit and chat with my cards--for hours sometimes, flipping cards over as questions arise about every aspect of the problem. There is no objectivity in this at all, which is why I think of it as talking to myself--and not "higher self" or any sort of exalted spiritual being, just plain old ordinary me. Although I know there's no objectivity, I still find it comforting, like a crackling fire or old pair of boots
I feel the same way. Even the act of shuffling and admiring the images brings me comfort and joy, partly because I think I have associated Tarot with positive energy. My decks are like old friends and during times of despair and trouble they have not only provided advice but they have helped me heal and build myself back up when I've been knocked down. I honestly don't know what I would have done without my Tarot and Oracle decks during the aftermath of a particularly painful and upsetting time in my life. I didn't have anyone in real life to talk to about it and just a few people online.

VGimlet

Yeah, I have used them to help me a time or two hundred.

A few examples; years ago when DH and I were going through a rough patch and my cards helped me quite a bit. Also when my mom and his mom went through the dying process.

When I was a teenager (oh the drama) I used them a lot. I have never lived and died by what my cards said, if you know what I mean, but I have gotten a lot of insight and comofort from them.

Chiriku

Ethereal,

If you need any examples of specific spreads or questions to ask to get answers that might provide you with insight into your specific situation, you can PM me.

I will just sit and chat with my cards--for hours sometimes, flipping cards over as questions arise about every aspect of the problem. There is no objectivity in this at all, which is why I think of it as talking to myself--and not "higher self" or any sort of exalted spiritual being, just plain old ordinary me. Although I know there's no objectivity, I still find it comforting, like a crackling fire or old pair of boots.

I am indeed fortunate, and of course return the favor to my family and friends. Have been doing so all weekend, in fact. I will offer the caveat, however, that very tight-knit families also have some notable downsides that one doesn't often hear as much about!

What you wrote above reminds me that the OP's question had two parts: do we use the tarot for advice ("answers"), and do we use the tarot for comfort? I only answered with regards to the first part of the question. As you and some others here have suggested, even when one's uses of the tarot--repeated shuffling; frequent readings in a "chatting" mode as you describe-- might not provide one with objective advice, they can indeed provide comfort to some.

Just make sure the deck is comfortable to handle. My deck this week for the Deck of the Week group is dreadful to touch and shuffle. Shuffling it increases rather than lessens anxiety!

Richard

I was recently faced with a rather large expense (predicted by the cards). When I had the issue resolved, the cards assured me that the expense involved could not have been avoided. This was a great relief to me, as I cannot stand the idea of being suckered. Instead of agonizing over it, I am at peace.

Sinduction

I am a rather mental person. I am always in my head and thinking. I find that once I consult my cards I am able to let go of the situation and focus on better things.

I think the biggest issue I ever consulted my cards about was when I met my fiance. I am a die-hard feminist and have many issues with men. I knew I was falling hard for him and was worried I was making a mistake. I do realize that, for most people, this would not be a time of trouble but I am insane. I consulted the cards, just with a quick 3 card spread, and was instantly put at ease. To this day it is the only reading I remember. The Queen of Coins (my sig), The Hierophant, and the King of Swords (his sig). I saw our union, blessed by God. Even though I am anything but a religious person and the Hierophant usually gives me the willies!

We've been together (happily!) for almost 6 years, my longest relationship if you don't count my dogs. Had I not had tarot in my life, I'm sure I would have obsessed over the whole thing and sabotaged myself. I haven't doubted our relationship since. He proposed soon after that reading.

I know that sounds kind of dumb and I feel dumb even admitting it to anyone. So don't tell! :D