incomplete decks; where do you stand?

turtlebite

I mentioned in another thread being fascinated by the idea of an incomplete deck. I wouldn't read with it obviously but it seems to me that an incomplete deck has a different story than a complete one.

And of course, if it's a rare deck then it's a story I probably wouldn't get to hear if it was complete. Part of the story of a deck is, like you say, in the colors and the cardstock and just being able to see some of the art right up close that you may not get a chance to otherwise. I definitely think they have value, but what value I would personally give them I wouldn't know until actually confronted with the possibility of buying one.

gregory

The Frankendecks rely on incomplete decks for their very existence ! :D

AJ

I wouldn't knowingly purchase a incomplete deck, of any age or collectibility, but on the other hand I'd like to someday have gathered a deck of 78 moon cards. I think i only have about 10-12 now but I just love them. Something to live for anyway, if I couldn't think of any other reason :)

lark

I would buy an incomplete Greenwood so I could have extra cards and maybe help out other people who have Greenwoods with missing cards.

Or a very old deck, I'd buy an incomplete one if it was a good price.
Just to feel the energy and history of it.
I know the half price book store here throws out decks without boxes, and if they have books puts them on the self to buy.

I wonder if they would throw the cards in a box and sell them to me???

The crowned one

I have no problem buying incomplete decks...if they are over 100 years old. at that point I am buying them for the history, not for reading....though I try occasionally:)

Chiriku

The only way I could stomach an incomplete deck is if I mentally relinquished the idea of it being part of my collection.

That is, if I designated a non-collection-ish purpose to the deck such as laminating and carrying around as a bookmark/study card; pasting into a journal or artistic project, etc.

ETA: And I don't even read with 90% of my decks, anyway!

In the case of an historical or extremely rare deck (and 1935 is "historical" enough for me, though perhaps not in the tarot history fashion, of course), I'd buy it and pay a decent amount for it, too.

Le Fanu

Chiriku said:
ETA: And I don't even read with 90% of my decks, anyway!
This is my point. If I don't read with most of them and enjoy looking at the art, does it really matter if a few cards are missing? How much of the pleasure of perusing a deck I'll never use is the fact that it is "complete"? Very little I think. Often I don't even look at all the cards!
turtlebite said:
I mentioned in another thread being fascinated by the idea of an incomplete deck. I wouldn't read with it obviously but it seems to me that an incomplete deck has a different story than a complete one.
Oh definitely. The cult of the ruin, a romantic fragment which has survived, albeit battered & (to use Aulruna's description) maimed. To speculate about when, exactly, it got separated. Are the other cards still in existance? Is there the remote possibility that they might be found one day in the back of a drawer somewhere and live on as bookmarks or folded over under a table leg to stop it wobbling? The romantic in me rather likes the idea of a deck "in ruins". (But then I always liked ruined towers and castles much more than the spruced up versions)

The crowned one

Chiriku said:
In the case of an historical or extremely rare deck (and 1935 is "historical" enough for me, though perhaps not in the tarot history fashion, of course), I'd buy it and pay a decent amount for it, too.

My first thought here was "The church of light". I read with that one so it would have to be complete :)

I do not mind owning single cards from old or rare decks. I love knowing that at one time they meant a lot to someone, or perhaps many people and the stories they told are weaved into the fabric of the card now...involved the same emotions we humans have, even idea' and physical needs but not the same mode, no cars or planes but perhaps the same desire to go somewhere. No Letter carrier for the average person, but the same desire to know how a loved one is doing in some far land... The hands that held these cards are long dead, but their belief and desires in a sense live on through this belonging of theirs.

Nytebugg

I wouldn't make a habit of it. if it was for collecting purpose only and never an intention to read from it sure I'd buy an incomplete deck as long as I knew beforehand it was incomplete.

VGimlet

Older, and by older I mean...1920's or earlier (have to draw the line somewhere) I might just because of the coolness of it.

I would buy a newer incomplete or damaged deck, depending on the deck, for a few dollars to use for one of my art projects.