Cheap Tarot Cases

Black Crosis

Just wondering, as my collection of cards is growing, where do I find a good, sturdy, and cheap tarot case? They don't seem to exist, yet I can think of plenty of reasons to have one. For me, I need a dedicated place to store my decks. Books are easy, they go on a shelf. But decks are different. They're small, most don't come with convenient boxes and it's practically impossible to find anything that would appropriately store them. I was thinking a standard briefcase might do the trick, but with all the extra junk that's attached for office use and a complete lack of dividers, I don't see how they'd bee much use unless you had enough decks to fill it completely. Besides; they're expensive. Even the small "cheap" ones are $40 or more and most aren't wide enough to store decks sideways.

I'm currently just keeping my decks in dice bags, but eventually I'm going to need to get a case for them. My collection's small enough currently to store them in a footlocker, but eventually that'll become too disorganized. Besides, I will eventually want to take a good number of decks with me to my Roleplaying sessions for some extra fun and I'd like to bring a nice variety to choose from. Hey! I may be too inexperienced to do any serious readings, but I can utilize them for gameplay, (they were originally created as playing cards afterall,) almost immediately. I must say I am lucky enough to still have a small briefcase from a hair clipper kit I got during my "beard days" which fits 6 decks quite snuggly, which will suffice for now but I'm looking to the future as there's a few decks that I'm looking to get before my current spendable income hits rock bottom for Christmas (7 member family; ouch).

Anyways, it'd be lovely if there was a "Traveling Tarot Reader Briefcase" out there, but there's not. Anyone know of any somewhat inexpensive alternative? Heck, I'd love to know what others use to transport their decks, even if it's not a case! I'm just looking for something that can keep my decks protected and organized.

Thanks for your input!

- Black Crosis

MrAndrewJ

I need a good picture of my setup. My "working" decks all go in a metal lunchbox that supposedly came free with two really bad vampire movies. In all actuality, I think the movies were the giveaway.

My other decks go in a cabinet where I also keep a collection of playing cards. The local big-name and much despised mega-store sells miniature milk crates for a pretty small price. I think sometimes down to a buck or two each.

It's interesting that you mention dice bags. When boxes disintegrate - and they will - people tend to turn to things like that for storing cards. One person I know personally folds a large square of silk around his deck. I have sewn my own dice-bag like items to put the deck in, then folded up the box for storage.

Le Fanu started a really interesting thread with creative ideas here.

Wow. I just realized I'm more superstitious about people touching my dice than my cards.

Black Crosis

Never thought of that...

Thanks for the input. That's interesting, the metal lunchbox. I didn't even think of that and I have one literally sitting right next to my Tarot books on my bookshelf (*smacks head*). Well, I'm currently using a leather briefcase version of one of those, but it would be interesting to see which carries more. It would be nice to have a different clasp as the one I'm using currently only needs a small budge and WHAM!; down to the floor everything inside goes.

(I know this is off subject, but: as for the dice superstitions, I'm right there with ya. I don't let anyone touch my dice. I figure, if they roll a 20, they've used it up for me somehow. But, then again, I'm a huge math wiz and run the statistics in my head for practically every roll in the group, which makes those situations painful.)

willowfox

Black Crosis said:
Anyways, it'd be lovely if there was a "Traveling Tarot Reader Briefcase" out there, but there's not.

Strange you say that as there used to be such briefcases available, I still have one and it measures 12" long by 9" wide and about 3" deep. I think there were even smaller ones available at one time.

shadowdancer

well I have been using the Pelican 1020 cases. Incredibly sturdy and fit decks perfectly.

Thanks to amazon.com I purchased mine for around $15 each. there have been posts here about them so if you type the words Pelican 1020 in the search fields, you will also find where those of us who use them have posted piccies.

I use the solid black cases. Where you don't have clear lids, you have extra padding in the lid

Davina

Black Crosis

willowfox
If there used to be nice briefcases that fit cards so well, it'd be awesome to have a name of what they were called, or model, or whatever.

shadowdancer
Very nice and protective. I've seen those around, but I'm looking for a case that holds many decks, not just one or two. These would be great for carrying a deck or two, but could get pricey really quick even if you only spend about $15 a pop. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

willowfox

The small briefcases cost less than $10 and were not heavy, and one could carry a dozen decks.

canid

I got a tiny metal (Double Bubble!) lunchbox that houses Hanson-Roberts perfectly, a couple of sturdy wallet type zip-ups at GoodWill, a really cool wooden box with a sliding lid I found in our BASEMENT (it used to house some kind of calibration tools), a couple of small wooden chests, plus I make my own bags. It's fun to be on the lookout for card containers - once you start you'll be amazed what pops up. I'll even look in toy departments for things. A lot of times puzzles come in a good sized tin container.

Le Fanu

I know you wanted cheap, but I opted for "free". I found my travelling tarot case in the trash whilst out walking a friend's dog.

As soon as I saw it, I thought "oooh! tarot decks." then vintage luggage came back in fashion and it looks cooler with each passing day! :D

I keep it by the side of the bed, for my most oft-used deck. I also think of it as handy in case of fire or earthquake. Slam it shut and RUN!

Attachments

• SDC11470.JPG
    SDC11470.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 116

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
As soon as I saw it, I thought "oooh! tarot decks." then vintage luggage came back in fashion and it looks cooler with each passing day! :D

I keep it by the side of the bed, for my most oft-used deck. I also think of it as handy in case of fire or earthquake. Slam it shut and RUN!

OMG, I want that!! I was just thinking about how on earth I would grab all my various containers full of decks if there was a fire, especially since I would (obviously) save my sons first...a little vintage suitcase is perfect.

Btw, this thread will probably get moved to Talking Tarot...