Cheap Tarot Cases

Black Crosis

Very cool! I unfortunately am an electronics-hound and most everything I get comes in cardboard or way-too-slim containers. I'm also looking for a nice, snug-fit pocket-sized container for a standard deck of cards so I can keep one with me in my cargo pants. I want it to be well-protected and shielded from basic water as it rains heavily where I live, but otherwise just something that I can carry my deck in so I can practice whenever & wherever I want. It would definitely help me learn the Tarot better if I can think of a question anytime and just pull out the deck to do a quick spread.

BTW, I thought we were in "Talking Tarot"...

OctoberGwen

Black Crosis said:
BTW, I thought we were in "Talking Tarot"...

Ah. So we are. LOL. :D

Sorry, for some reason I thought I was in Trading. Clearly I need more coffee.

Le Fanu

Remember, I have my emergency suitcase which houses the oft-used decks but then the other "few" :D are stored in a separate house which is fast becoming a tarot depository, with shutters permanently down to prevent fading of boxes from sunlight. I seem to remember I bought that house to "live" in. Oh well...:D

However, the O.P wasn't thinking of fire or earthquake just yet. LOL but everything I need for tarot storage is either in the trash or at the flea market but not everyone is near a flea market to pick up storage solutions for 50 cents. Yesterday I found a soft leather pouch, perfect for decks, for 50 cents! Joy!

I think tarot storage solutions is a long terms thing. A lifestyle if you will. Take my advice. Get your brain into "tarot obsessive" mode and suddenly everything you see will be useful for storing decks. I constantly pick up tins and boxes and bags and cases all over the place for transporting/saving decks.

I remember seeing tarot suitcases for sale at Tarot Chest a while back. They looked like those metal cases that make-up artists/ photographers/DJs carry their equipment around in. I prefer my battered old 50s suitcase though...

Black Crosis

Does 7 decks, 13 books, 5 bags, and a footlocker (just for Tarot) in the first 6 weeks of learning the Tarot count as "obsessive"? lol...

Le Fanu

can I ask, what's a footlocker? A cupboard for keeping shoes? I always thought it was... Like in gym changing rooms, no? Oh and while we're at it, dice bags? Do you get bags when you buy dice? And how many dice do you need to buy?

Black Crosis

A footlocker is simply a lockable chest for just about anything (about 3ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft), which is a bit big to be lugging around. As far as dice bags, they're accessories for roleplayers who need to transport multiple dice of multiple styles a lot easier and more secure than zip lock bags. I personally use around 30 dice in my current game, (which is rather small for me; I normally transport over 100).

Le Fanu

aaaah! thank you. And do I need to check out dice gaming online shops because they might sell dice bags which I can use for tarot? :D

Black Crosis

Yeah, that would work.

Here are some links:

Cheap Low-Quality (Velour) Bags (they'll still do the trick and not fall apart, just not very "soft" and hair gets stuck to them quite easily):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DQY9WA/ref=oss_product

Medium Quality (Cloth) Bags (You can get some awesome designs):
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=736

High Quality (Velvet & Satin) Bags (I LOVE these! I use these for my Roleplaying dice and my favorite Tarot deck [which I have yet to use]):
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=23484

No one of these bags should cost more than $6 - $9 (high end) each or you're being ripped off. Of course, you'd need to pay shipping, but I've found if you just save up a little bit and find a site that offers free shipping on orders of a certain amount (up to $50), you can just buy a bunch and utilize them as needed. Personally, I can find uses for these for TONS of stuff, not just dice. It's really nice now that I have Tarot too, but I need to restock my collection of bags. Large ones will measure 5"x 7", but if you can find medium sizes, you can probably fit most decks snuggly.

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
However, the O.P wasn't thinking of fire or earthquake just yet. LOL

True, but a nice deep little suitcase would hold the entire collections of some folks, including me. I think. If everything was in bags, not boxes. Anyway, it's a great idea and I love the portability.

Le Fanu said:
I think tarot storage solutions is a long terms thing. A lifestyle if you will. Take my advice. Get your brain into "tarot obsessive" mode and suddenly everything you see will be useful for storing decks.

A good thought. I'll have to start making time to go to flea markets & thrift shops again. (Darn!) ;)

gregory

Cheap bags - see Dollarama in Canada (find a friend to mail them !) - $1.25 CDN a pop and really pretty.

Boxes - someone got me some intended for index cards in Walgreens last year. They are very sturdy - but will only manage a standard deck; they're too thin for a thick one, if you see what I mean !