Interesting Correspondences : suits/elements/seasons/directions

northsea

Dark Inquisitor said:
13. ASTROLOGICAL: The astrological year is divided into four equal quadrants, each beginning at a solstice or equinox. And each quadrant is governed by one of the four elements. Which element can be discovered by examining the exact midpoint of the quadrant. For example, the first quadrant, beginning at the winter solstice (north) is governed by air, which rules fifteen degrees Aquarius, symbolized by the Man or Spirit. The second quadrant, beginning at the spring equinox (east) is governed by earth, which rules fifteen degrees Taurus, the Bull. The third quadrant, beginning at the summer solstice (south) is governed by fire, which rules fifteen degrees Leo, the Lion. And the fourth quadrant, beginning at the fall equinox (west) is governed by water, which rules fifteen degrees Scorpio, here symbolized by the Eagle. Thus, north, east, south and west correspond to air, earth, fire, and water, and to Spirit, Bull, Lion, and Eagle, respectively. If the last four symbols seem familiar, it is because they represent the four elemental power points of the astrological year, and their symbols appear in the four corners of the tarot cards, the World and the Wheel of Fortune. (The same figures were later adopted by Christians as symbols of the four Gospel writers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.)

I've sometimes wondered why the Wheel of Fortune & World cards didn't quite match the standard assignments, and why the yang and yin elements aren't balanced. One point of confusion (it's past midnight so maybe I'm not thinking): as the zodiac is laid out counter-clockwise, doesn't beginning with Wands in the south then place Cups in Scorpio/east, Swords/north, and Pentacles in Taurus/west?

Fulgour

Thank You! Dark Inquisitor

Thinking about the Watchtowers...
by Wormwood Crow

I discovered a catching editorial by Mike Nichols on his site
The Witches' Sabbats, titled "Re-thinking the Watchtowers
or 13 Reasons Air Should Be in the North."

...Nichols provides 13 reasons to endorse his position that air
really should be in the north, and earth in the east, ending
with a request that others defend the alternate popular path
with air in the east with something more substantial than
"But we've always done it this way."

After a few months meditating on the subject, the following
are my reasons for sticking to my original gut instincts on
what watchtowers go where.

Click on to read complete Witche's Voice Inc article

ravenest

I find all this directional stuff rather fascinating.

It depends on the level of your working, astrological? elemental? Qabalistic?

Some people insist that certain directions are not changed in the southern hemisphere as they are qabalistic. Yet qabalistic directions are usually based on the 4 winds (have a look at these directions and the location of Jewish settlements / city states - E. coast of Mediteranian) and that appears to be an environmental development.

Some Hermetic systems have inhereted some very old directional traditions, possibly back to Egypt ( and Ocean in the North).

East coast Oz we often use localised; E, water, Pacific Ocean. W Earth, the heart land of Australia, N, Fire, path of the sun and S. air, source of strong s. winds. Microcosmically we might even change that if we are by the river.

yet some people just cant deal with it and cant work with switched elements to directions.

Which direction do you lay your head at night?

northsea

It seems the RiderWaite court cards would align with Swords=north/winter, Pentacles=east/spring with the Queen of Pentacles' easter bunny.

Fulgour

Be nice to your Queens...

northsea said:
It seems the RiderWaite court cards would align with Swords=north/winter, Pentacles=east/spring with the Queen of Pentacles' easter bunny.
The Pamela Colman Smith Tarot of 1909
(created by that woman, not two men)
aligns very well:

Wands East (Aries)
Cups North (Cancer)
Swords West (Libra)
Pentacles South (Capricorn)

Check your ATLAS for the pertinent tropics,
with Cancer NORTH and Capricorn SOUTH.

northsea

Looks good, Fulgour, but I have two questions: are those Coleman-Smith's correspondences? and, is Capricorn/South considered Summer?

Fulgour

northsea said:
Looks good, Fulgour, but I have two questions: are those Coleman-Smith's correspondences? and, is Capricorn/South considered Summer?
If you (carefully) examine Pam's TWOS you'll see very exact,
specific, unmistakable details that clearly show her intentions
as to what suit pertains to which direction/season. I wrote on
this in the Colman Smith :) Study Group Sub-Forum [..RwS..].
And it's ideas poor old Arthur E Waite never had a clue about.

As for "Capricorn/South" being Summer ~ only Down Under!

northsea

Fair enough, Fulgour, but why don't you share your thoughts on the TWOS as I don't really want to search your RWS threads.

Fulgour

Try asking The German Ocean

northsea said:
Fair enough, Fulgour, but why don't you share your thoughts on the TWOS as I don't really want to search your RWS threads.
Because...I suppose maybe this is Dark Inquisitor's thread
and I've already strayed from DI's fantastic presentation!

Tarotphelia

Fulgour said:
Because...I suppose maybe this is Dark Inquisitor's thread
and I've already strayed from DI's fantastic presentation!

Gee, maybe I should copy and paste more often . Makes me look smarter, doesn't it ?