Interesting tarot pairs

Anastacia

Aset said:
That's a good description, though I think I'd be more inclined to associate that type of personality with the Queen of Cups (being water of water), or even the Knight/Prince (being a less mature version of the King). Definitely something I want to meditate on, though.
well yes, but going on RW imagery the Knight has his horse to ride and is still in the quest phase, the queen is seated on the sand at the seashore and being feminine is more at home with the water, the king being masculine is not as comfortable with the water and there is so much of it that his throne is floating.

Barleywine

rosegold said:
I've learned a lot from this thread so far. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on Justice + 7 of Cups. A verdict or outcome that isn't completely fair, but just looks that way on the surface? Or an outcome that's fair but doesn't seem so at first?

I don't have a lot to add to this thread right now, but find it interesting that earlier today (before I saw the thread) I was rummaging around on my bookshelf and pulled out my long-neglected copy of Dorothy Kelly's "Tarot Card Combinations" (Weiser/1995). It shows that someone has gone to the trouble to at least partially codify and publish some of the possible two-card (and three and four card) combinations and their blended meanings, including reversals. However, it's still vastly incomplete and the interpretations are so thin as to be largely uninformative. For the Justice + 7 of Cups combo, it has "Legal Decisions, Court is Speculating, Equality with Choice." I can see the derivations and might be able to glean something constructive out of them for a reading, but it just seems so dry. Still, this might be worth a look if only to have an on-the-fly reference work to build upon.

Aset

Anastacia said:
well yes, but going on RW imagery the Knight has his horse to ride and is still in the quest phase, the queen is seated on the sand at the seashore and being feminine is more at home with the water, the king being masculine is not as comfortable with the water and there is so much of it that his throne is floating.

Ahh, yes, I think I failed to mention that I was using the Thoth ::blushing:: Based on RW imagery, that interpretation does make total sense.

SloughSister

Anastacia said:
So you started with World as feelings - and clarified it with King of cups..... too many variations are possible - here's a few
*Noah's Ark - the world ended but Noah managed to stay afloat
*feeling trapped and overwhelmed by emotions... I need space...
*travelling the world by boat
*things have ended and I'm going to drown my sorrows..

am trying to come up with something positive here but not having a lot of luck, must be too jaded, sorry.

That's funny, I got quite a positive hit - as soon as I saw the pair I thought "aha! Finally, a culmination - and, oh, look, it's a culmination that came from all that steady, patient affection, that kind wisdom-that-understands-how-people are" --> and then was left totally blank as to what kind of culmination kind, patient tolerance might lead to. :confused:

Aset

SloughSister said:
That's funny, I got quite a positive hit - as soon as I saw the pair I thought "aha! Finally, a culmination - and, oh, look, it's a culmination that came from all that steady, patient affection, that kind wisdom-that-understands-how-people are" --> and then was left totally blank as to what kind of culmination kind, patient tolerance might lead to. :confused:

That was more or less my reaction too LOL. To me this is an odd pair that doesn't seem like an odd pair... which makes it more odd.

Aset

Tower+Strength - trying to control a situation unsuccessfully

Anastacia

Aset said:
Tower+Strength - trying to control a situation unsuccessfully
That one reminds of Samson and Delilah - when his hair finally grew back, he used his strength in an act of revenge. He pushed some pillars apart and the whole building came down killing hundreds of people including him.

MoiraKarin

Through the hard way i found the description of a psychpath by this trio

The devil / Justice / cups X

(Done by thoth deck) with the coleman smith i had the " hermit+ the lovers(the world) as conmfirmed within a yes / no/ why spread as well also makes a lot of sense to me

LJRBLUE

interesting perception of the King of cups, but I don't see him that way. When I think of a king, I think someone in control, someone of power, a leader who is strong even in the moments of chaotic turbulence. So when I see the King of cups I think, someone who is in control of the emotions, and/or someone who approaches the situation with a calm and rational effect.

LJRBLUE

Justice and 7 of cups - when rosegold mentioned courtrooms I had this image of the courtroom dramas where the lawyer is addressing the jury. Those cups represent the jurors. Especially when the facts are clouded the lawyer needs to manipulate their emotions as he addresses them. And the choice of Jurors is like the 7 of cups too - I think both sides get to assess the potential jurors and decide whether or not they are eligible to sit on the jury based just on their appearance and what is known of their profile.
So Justice + 7 of cups = trial by jury.

The Justice card doesn't necessarily have to be a legal card. Taking the definition of the word Justice, meaning fair and proper administration. Then seeing the 7 of cups as having choices, some seen, some unseen. The combination then becomes about making the proper choice. Just another way to view it outside of legal matters.