Introducing yourself to a new deck

divinegoddess

How do you introduce yourself to a new deck? I have gotten two new decks and I was just wondering what are some of the best ways to introduce yourself to a new deck. :)

Bhavana

RexMalaki;2924080 I like to shuffle and look said:
and do lots of quickie readings - meaning I don't really ask any questions, or do the whole meditative candle lighting thought focusing incense burning ritual reading thing - I just lay the cards out in all types of spreads, looking at each one, relationships between them, etc etc.

peaceandkarma

I like to shuffle and look at each card too. I just really familiarize myself with each card and try to work out the meaning of each card and what it means to me.

nisaba

How do you introduce yourself to a new deck? I have gotten two new decks and I was just wondering what are some of the best ways to introduce yourself to a new deck. :)

I just open 'em up and use 'em.

Works for me.

astronautica

I found this thread a while back: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93600

I find it a really useful way to get to know a new deck. I feel it's a little more "constructive" (for lack of a better word) than just looking at the artwork - if I'm just flicking through a deck I often miss things, but this gives me a chance to look at the cards one by one and appreciate them without thinking too hard about them :)

divinegoddess

I often feel like I need to introduce the deck with my energies and myself. So, I actually take the deck everywhere I go for a few days, even put the deck underneath my pillow :D

I also usually do a introduction with a new deck spread, which helps me get a view of what i can expect out of the deck. For the first time, I'm also doing an IDS ;)

I found this thread a while back: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93600

I find it a really useful way to get to know a new deck. I feel it's a little more "constructive" (for lack of a better word) than just looking at the artwork - if I'm just flicking through a deck I often miss things, but this gives me a chance to look at the cards one by one and appreciate them without thinking too hard about them :)

Oh, that looks very interesting! I shall try it soon!! :)

Dancing Bear

Im with divinegoddess.. I like to take my deck with me, put my own energy on them..

and before i do anything else.. "after i have had a flick through them" on their first shuffle i ask them, what our future together holds.. I draw one card..
and without a word of a lie.. each deck i have done this with. that one card has always rung true.

my last deck i drew 2 of cups Awww!!! LOL!! And i do love this deck.. Then i start using them as i would any other deck.. What better way of getting to know them than throwing yourself in the deep end..

Le Fanu

Sometimes I just know it isn't going to be used so it goes on the shelf while I wait for the mood to perhaps seize me when I might want to take it down.

If it is a deck I really like at first sight, I will choose a nice bag from the ones I have, one that goes with the vibe of the deck (can't be any old bag). I put it in a protective pouch/envelope and carry it around with me, out & about, in my bag, to peruse in cafés/ on the subway if nobody is around. Not that I worry about going through a deck in public, I just can't stand people peering as they invariably do if you're sitting opposite or next to them!

I get so little time to really wallow in my decks. If I'm lucky, before I go to sleep I sit up in bed and go through the deck looking at the cards and thinking about them, imagining them in different spread positions.

DownUnderNZer

I like to snuggle up with it and put my vibes into the deck...

I like to shuffle, look, even smell the cards as sometimes there is a certain smell to them. :)