Is it ok to be swapping between decks?

ElliDee

I'm a relatively new tarot reader. The Gilded TArot being my first, which I feel like I have bonded to, if u understand what I mean.
But I've just got a new deck - the silver era - which I am keen to get to know and read for others with this deck...I feel like i'm ready to read for others, yet I don't want anyone else to be touching my Gilded set!
My question is, is it ok for me to be using the Gilded for my personal daily reading and questions, whilst also using my silver era at the same time? Or should I be "exclusive" to the silver's?
Hope what I'm trying to ask is making sense!
Thanks, Elli

Miss Divine

Noway, no need to be ''exclusive''!:D

I am always switching decks. I'm too fickle to stick to one, just enjoy yourself.

Glass Owl

I switch decks all the time although I sometimes find myself drawn to using the same deck for a few days or weeks. Sometimes I will pull out a deck because I feel that it is a good deck to use for that particular topic but often it is just the deck I feel drawn to at that given time. Since you mentioned two decks you could use both when doing relationship readings, assigning a deck for each person in the relationship.

AJ

as long as you don't kiss and tell who is to know?

Welcome to AT!

euripides

Nothing wrong with that at all. I go through phases, sometimes I'll only read with one deck for a long time, other times I'll pick a deck depending on the sort of reading I want to do.

Sometimes it's helpful to stick with one deck while you're getting used to it and getting to know its quirks, especially if it's a different system to what you're used to or uses a lot of a particular theme symbolism (eg an Arthurian deck or something).

Rev_Vesta

This is such a personal journey....

Trust how you feel in which deck or decks you work with and when....

only you will know if you are able to work with more than one deck at the same time... for me I found working with different decks at different times enhanced my Tarot knowledge.... giving me different perspectives about each card.....

enjoy the journey... do not make it a chore but fun.....an incredible journey of self-discovery.....

SloughSister

Tarot is kind of like a buffet ... you can pick and choose what looks good, taste it, and go back for more of what you like best. Then, if you really want to study and understand just one dish, you can spend some concentrated time getting to know it. Maybe with little forays over to visit what dish/deck pops into your mind, clamoring for another taste/attention. I adore the variety. Enjoy!!

nisaba

I'm a relatively new tarot reader. The Gilded TArot being my first, which I feel like I have bonded to, if u understand what I mean.
But I've just got a new deck - the silver era - which I am keen to get to know and read for others with this deck...I feel like i'm ready to read for others, yet I don't want anyone else to be touching my Gilded set!
My question is, is it ok for me to be using the Gilded for my personal daily reading and questions, whilst also using my silver era at the same time? Or should I be "exclusive" to the silver's?

Do you feel secure in your knowledge-basis? (I don't mean feel like a Tarot-God, just feel as if you have a handle on it)

If you do, then branching out into new decks will help and deepen your learning.

However, it is my personal opinion that if you are still largely confused by Tarot, branching out into new decks will confuse you more, not help your learning process.

It's up to you to judge which of those two answers will help you most. Don't give any deck away - there *will* come a time when you are ready and willing to change decks, and/or use different decks as the mood strikes you.

(Jeez, I wish someone had said that to me when I started out)

Asbestos Mango

Hope what I'm trying to ask is making sense!
Thanks, Elli

I think this is a great idea, actually, to have a personal deck that you only read for yourself with- I actually have three that I wouldn't read for others with, basically because I'm concerned that the imagery would spook them- and another that you explore for a while and read for others with.

If you don't want others touching my Gilded (which is the first deck I bought when I started getting back into Tarot, it got me through some rough emotional times), then keep it as your personal deck, and read for others with the new deck.

Kosjitov

For a very long time I kept one deck exclusive to myself. Inevitably we get the itch to move on. There is very little wrong with changing decks. If you feel comfortable with it, it may be time to move on as it's given you a foundation to work from.

Think about it more like a varied diet. You can't just live on one food indefinitely. You have to have other sources to help you stay healthy. Different decks are like that, imo. They add different nutrients to your journey, offer you slight nuances that are the spice of life and help shape the answers you get from tarot in the future. I've had slight epiphanies about meanings taken from the details in the images.