Is there a loving man in the Tarot Majors?

YDM42

Reading a post here, I started thinking of which qualities of the majors would make a good male mate....now it seems to me that if they eovlove to that level or mastery, then...love becomes something you should not expect...

It is only kings that love,
do only women nurture and love in the tarot majors?

What do you think?

214red

Remember a man can be an empress....these are archetypes.
An emperor can be loving and protective

yirabeth

I think the key to remember is that the Majors exemplify an archetype, rather than a particular sex. We are all bits and pieces of many archetypes. Myself, I see shades of Emperor in me, as the head of my family. But I also see shades of the Empress. Not that I'm macho or overly masculine. Just that as an archetype, I can embrace that it is part of me.

So, if a male gets the Empress in a reading, that doesn't necessarily mean someone in his life as indicated by the Empress. Perhaps he's a single father, raising a child. Perhaps he breeds dogs, and they're very dear to his heart rather than a business proposition. Either way, he's nurturing life, as exemplified by the Empress.

As to which would make a good male mate..that depends 100% on the partner. What do they want in a mate? Each person's ideal is different, and what you find most necessary in a mate may give me the shivers. Do they want someone more nurturing, do they want someone with more patience (Hanged Man) do they want someone wise and knowing (hierophant) or do they want someone powerful and forceful (Magician)

Keep in mind each of those traits can be exemplified within women as well though...

Tarot - the ultimate gender neutral advice! (Although sometimes the cards are not I realize)

~Yira

214red

yeah, what Yirabeth said so elequently...

YDM42

I just dont see the gender nuetrality. Especially in readings. There was someone, who mentioned that the females in the courts are inner sides of the personality, and males where outside of the personality. Wonder if iit could be the same for the Majors.

Amanda

YDM42 said:
I just dont see the gender nuetrality. Especially in readings. There was someone, who mentioned that the females in the courts are inner sides of the personality, and males where outside of the personality. Wonder if iit could be the same for the Majors.

If you really dig, there is male/female, positive/negative in all the Majors...

going from how you are describing though, to answer your original question- no. Not unless he's a female.

YDM42

Laugh...
Amanda_04 said:
If you really dig, there is male/female, positive/negative in all the Majors...

going from how you are describing though, to answer your original question- no. Not unless he's a female.

Marcia959

Along with the archetype v. people and gender discussion about the majors, I would also say that each of the majors defines love its own way. The Magician's definition of love is different from the Hanged Man's, for instance. To me it is a reminder that the love as defined by an archetype is not necessarily the love we need at the moment. Ref. the thousands of articles written by women who say, "But I just want him to listen to me, not to fix my problems!" Her definition of love is listening; his is fixing her problem. They are easily both love, but, like the 5 of Pentacles, the light shining through the windows does not necessarily reach the needy passerby. Or, as I sometimes like to quip, "What they got, you don't need. What you need, they don't got." Poor English, of course, but sometimes good things miss the mark.

And it brings up an important discussion about needing v. wanting. We are, of course, complex creatures.

Best wishes.

YDM42 said:
Reading a post here, I started thinking of which qualities of the majors would make a good male mate....now it seems to me that if they eovlove to that level or mastery, then...love becomes something you should not expect...

It is only kings that love,
do only women nurture and love in the tarot majors?

What do you think?

canid

YDM42 said:

What you say about females/inner & males/outer is very true, but if you strictly adhere to that, it's extremely limiting. For instance, the King of Cups could be a woman who is keeping her emotions under strict control. She/he is more established; be it a caregiver, counselor, doctor, whatever. Whether it's because of circumstances or her own personality making that happen. The Queen of Cups could be a man who is embracing & using his emotions - protecting & showering with affection, nurturing, a bit different than using emotional experience, like the King would do. Relying more on the heart, than experience. OK, how do people react when seeing a baby? Some immediately wholeheartedly & instinctively reach out to hug & embrace it, cooing protectively; others will hold it, maybe at arms' length at first, still feeling strong emotions, yet keeping them a bit in check, but still protecting the baby. Those reactions are not gender based.

Of course it applies to majors. I mean, think about it. Just because Strength usually has a woman on the card, would you negate the meaning if you were reading for a man? The Empress has already been mentioned, but for instance, the High Priestess is NOT gender specific at all. Everyone comes in contact with the hidden, esoteric, secret, inner self. It's one of the ways we grow.

Does that help?