Is there ONE deck?

rota

personally, I think it's not about about the cards at all. It's not about whether we adore or feel comfy with our cards. It's about the reading. The cards are there as a lens, and if you're able to read, you can do that with practically anything.

Chronata

rota said:
personally, I think it's not about about the cards at all. It's not about whether we adore or feel comfy with our cards. It's about the reading. The cards are there as a lens, and if you're able to read, you can do that with practically anything.

I absolutely agree with this statement! (Thanks rota, for putting it so concisely!)

Which is why I have the ONE (my beloved Hanson Roberts)

but which is also why I have all the other ONES as well!
(my original RWS, the Minute, the All Hallows, the Paulina...etc)

Scion

I own hundreds. I read only with the Liber T.... funny old world. :)

I CAN read with anything you put in my hands. ANd I will read with anything people prefer, but if it comes down to it in a prizefight?

Liber T, no contest. Anyone surprised? :D

WyrdRaven

I am madly enfatuated with the Bohemian Gothic, but my One True Love is still the Waite-Smith deck. Beautiful and evocative, always the voice I will choose above all others.

minrice

It's funny how we have all these decks but we always come back to our favorites...like when you have a closet full of clothes but you always wear the same pieces to rags!

For me it would have to be, of course, the Morgan Greer. It's warm, colorful, inviting, and I just have a deep personal connection with this particular copy of the deck. However this mirror has two faces and so the dark side of me relates to and uses my Lasenic a lot as well...the decks people have mentioned here are definitely staples in the deck world no wonder we love them so!

shadowdancer

for me I would say yes but I still bounce around due to the fact I dowse for which deck to use.

I created the perfect deck from decks I own / have owned. this was done by choosing my favourite images and a 78 card deck was born, taking images from across around 20 decks.

Then I extended the majors using images that conveyed something slightly different, thus giving an extra interpretation to fall back on. these were scanned, sized the same, titled the same and then printed and laminated. In total around 30 decks have been used.

I have two versions. The larger one has 120 cards, the smaller one has slightly fewer cards and some images are different (where I couldn't choose between two favourites, one went into the larger deck, one went into the smaller deck). by larger and smaller I refer to the dimensions/card size itself.

Love it to bits :D :D I resonate with every single image which would not happen with all decks, and this has only happened because I chose them.

So yes for me there is ONE deck but it is not at the exclusion of other decks in my collection.

JBerry

The mono food diet?

I gravitate towards a mono food diet. I like to eat simply with maybe one or two whole foods at a time, i.e. Breakfast: 2 apples; 5 dates.

Tarot deck choices can be a bit more complex. I have certain decks that I feel work really well for different types of reading. Usually I think in terms of elementals. What type of question am I exploring, or is the Querent exploring? I pick the appropriate element. So for earth: I like the Sacred Circle. For water, I have been using the Maat Tarot -- I love the imagery and the calendar correspondences, but I'm still looking. For air, I use the Illuminated Tarot. This is my favorite deck all around. For fire, I use the Shining Tribe.

When reading professionaly, I spread at least 4 decks out on the table. The Querent hopefully strongly resonates with at least one. This determines the selection.

I'm looking for 1. aesthetic appeal. 2. feminist orientation. 3. adherence to traditional Tarot structure. 4. not agist. I like a world populated with believable figures, not glossy supermodels and hunks. 5. intercultural or specifically Jewish

Then for my work as a Hebrew priestess, I am designing a deck. After an exhaustive search, I concluded that the deck I was searching for simply does not exist. I wish that it would.