Is Valerian bad for you?

gregory

Fair enough - except for the book. Reading in bed makes one think of bed as - a place to read.... Listening to music is OK....

sharpchick

gregory said:
Fair enough - except for the book. Reading in bed makes one think of bed as - a place to read.... Listening to music is OK....

It's a shame you are so far away, Gregory. I could give you some technical texts I have to read for work. . . would put you to sleep after about page 3. . .

Furnacechant

I find it very odd, if I read in bed I can't fall asleep, but if I take the same book and read it lying down on the couch in the livingroom, I'll fall sound asleep within a few pages...

Nevermore

Actually, Gregory, for me reading a couple hours before I want to sleep helps. But a little lavender is good on my pillow too;)
Music not so cause then although I relax, I have to worry about tangled headphone wires or turning a machine off. Sometimes though it does work and I don't turn bright awake when I take the headphones and walkman out of my bed.
If you haven't got problems with it, a glass of milk can help too.

opaloz

I cannot get to sleep without prescription drugs, my mind simply will not turn off the more I try the worst the situation becomes, I've tried all the suggestions shown even bought expensive sleep DVD to no avail, I still try each evening to get the right mindset but by 2 a.m. I'm awake still and very alert

gregory

If you use them, you will become permanently dependent on them to sleep. It's a vicious circle and one well worth breaking when you can take the time off to go a few days with nothing....

Nevermore

gregory said:
If you use them, you will become permanently dependent on them to sleep. It's a vicious circle and one well worth breaking when you can take the time off to go a few days with nothing....
I agree. It can be something of a psychological thing, when you actually can sleep without them somewhat just that you're so used to it. You expect it to work and the routine of taking it, it's reliable.

opaloz, if your doctor agrees to it, just try to relax in bed, don't worry about falling asleep or not. Just try to relax. Take a warm bath, put on a nightlight or not so bright lamp and read a good book.

My method: When it's around when you want to be falling asleep, put the book beside your bed and get the light out. Close your eyes. Don't worry about anything, worry about things in the morning when the sun is back out. Breathe with the belly and just relax. Better than no sleep at all, relaxing. If you can, just read the book again till your eyes start closing.

Hope that helps!

serenaserendipity

Ok here is the update:
for the past week i have been sleeping fine!!!

but for the two weeks before that, i was up all night at least two nights a week and had so much trouble sleeping... i didn't realize i had perhaps become addicted to valerian.

so this is what i did(though this won't necessarily work for everybody!)...
per everyone's advice here... i weaned myself off the valerian and replaced it with chamomile only... (still going to bed very late ~~around 4...) but then my friend came to stay and we drank WINE. very good red wine. and then she had to take the bus early, so we woke up on only 4 hours of sleep, walked her to the bus and went to the bakery, had a coffee, appreciated the beautiful morning, and then went to bed at 7:30pm!! then we woke up at 7:30 and have been going to bed by midnight, waking up before 9 ever since.

OH! also i have been eating LOTS of sharp white cheddar cheese (for tryptophan)

now that i am off the valerian i feel like a child, i get so TIRED at night i feel like my limbs are made of lead.

the mornings have been so beautiful and my dreams have been vivid.

Ok, that's all folks

Thanks for all your help!

Sincerely,

Serendipity

gregory

Way to go cheese !!!!!

DarkElectric

Hi Serena :)
My grannie used to make hot milk for me when I couldn't fall asleep as a child. Warming it increases the lactic acid somehow, which in turn promotes restful sleep. I also had sleep problems as an adult, until I discovered melatonin. That not only works for me, I find the sleep disturbance is completely gone,and so is my low level depression, which I though would plague me forever. I buy the melatonin at CVS. Any health food store will carry it also. I buy the 3mg tablets. There's lower strengths available, but for me the 3mg works well. I do the valerian capsule thing when I have problems with pain or muscle spasms in my legs, which thankfully isn't often. I think one can become dependent on valarian, if taken too much. Kava Kava capsules work for me too, but I use these remedies for the muscle spasms, not to get to sleep. The sleep is a nice bonus.

Hugs,
DE