It is harder setting up a website then I realized

PathWalker

I'm one of those folks who would love to have a tarot reading website, but I am completely un-technical :(

I didn't even understand half of this conversation :(

Where on earth do folks learn, when really they don't have much interest in being clever at websites, just want to get out there with their cards? And I'm talking REAL SIMPLE hear you know!

Pathwalker

Simsy

PathWalker said:
I'm one of those folks who would love to have a tarot reading website, but I am completely un-technical :(

I didn't even understand half of this conversation :(

Where on earth do folks learn, when really they don't have much interest in being clever at websites, just want to get out there with their cards? And I'm talking REAL SIMPLE hear you know!

Pathwalker

Hi Pathwalker

My suggestion is to use something like weebly (http://www.weebly.com) i have used them before and they use what you see is what you get (wysiwyg) type software so its simple to use just click and off you go. elements are easily dragged and dropped etc templates are also very customisable via that process as well.

Simsy

EDIT: I use a wordpress.com hosted blog for my site now, which is also easy to use and they have loads of customisable templates which dont require you to learn CSS (thank god!) and its point and click etc check out my website if you want to have a look at a wordpress.com hosted site to see if that would work for you Pathwalker

HOLMES

I Cancled My Website

The people at ipage wanted 107 dollars for my website, saying that the deal for 3.30 a month is only for first time customers.
I wasnt' happy with it though,, the website creator had only 9 pages, and even now when i went to edit the last page of my site to say it was closing down i couldn't even update the page to do that.
it will disappear on march 22 though, i thought about it and i was ok with paying the 42 plus tax but not the 107, especially with all the extra fees they were handing out for any increase.

i am happy though i did do the website as i did get one awesome customer, but i think now i am extremely wary of getting a website as i been burned twice now by website hostings claiming to be free, or that their website builders are awesome then you find out they are not.

Glass Owl

I have heard good things about GoDaddy too.

If you can create a blog (wordpress, tumblr, blogger) and make that work for you rather than trying to set up a website, I think that is an excellent idea.

I have seen some really nice looking Wordpress and Tumblr pages where Tarot readings were offered. You can also use a blog to just share your thoughts or your own readings, basically a journal of sorts.

And one nice thing about blogs is that they are very popular and interconnected. Once you "friend" or "like" other people's blogs, they start doing the same with yours, and that's how you can easily generate exposure and traffic for your blog.

For many years I ran a fan website hosted by Geocities and it was so much work. And on top of that I had to pay for extra storage and bandwidth because my site was so popular and it really added up. Recently I created a free Tumblr and through a series of blog posts, I have up the content from that paid Geocities site and I think it looks even better. Plus, it is much easier and fun to manage.

Keigh

WordPress...

WordPress is a fabulous way to get up and running online if you don't have or want to learn technical skills. There are two options. Wordpress.com offers free websites and free hosting. The only caveat is that you are there on their good graces. They can pull your site down at any time simply because they "own" it - meaning all things on their site are subject to their approval.

The second option, which takes a little skill, but is quite easy if you choose the right host (like GoDaddy - which makes installing and using WordPress a snap) is a self-hosted wordpress site via "WordPress.org". This is the same CMS (content management system) as wordpress.com hosted sites, but YOU own the site as you are paying for private hosting. GoDaddy offers a "WordPress" package that is quite inexpensive and they install the program for you. All you have to do is start blogging. You can even add static webpages as easily as adding a blog post. Many free themes are available - and installing those are quite simple as well.

Holmes - so sorry to hear about your website issue.

Keigh

Glass Owl

Keigh said:
WordPress is a fabulous way to get up and running online if you don't have or want to learn technical skills. There are two options. Wordpress.com offers free websites and free hosting. The only caveat is that you are there on their good graces. They can pull your site down at any time simply because they "own" it - meaning all things on their site are subject to their approval.

The second option, which takes a little skill, but is quite easy if you choose the right host (like GoDaddy - which makes installing and using WordPress a snap) is a self-hosted wordpress site via "WordPress.org". This is the same CMS (content management system) as wordpress.com hosted sites, but YOU own the site as you are paying for private hosting. GoDaddy offers a "WordPress" package that is quite inexpensive and they install the program for you. All you have to do is start blogging. You can even add static webpages as easily as adding a blog post. Many free themes are available - and installing those are quite simple as well.
Great information, Keigh! It is good to know that there are inexpensive options out there for those that want a self-hosted blog/site. And it doesn't sound like something that is wildly complicated or difficult to set up and run.