Keeping an Inventory

Bhavana

And I don't think I will ever, ever understand the concept of having multiple copies of the same deck. The closest I have to this phenomenon is the Special and Mass Market versions of the Tarot of Dreams. Which are different enough to need both.

If I had the extra cash, I'd grab up extra decks that I knew I might be able to sell for more someday....why not? Especially if you know they are going to go up in value. Also good to have desirable decks for trading. I also think that if you really love a deck, and use it a lot, can't hurt to have a spare...But, to have multiples just because you LIKE a deck - that I don't get.

jema

I recently lost both hard-drives and all stuff I had on them since 2005 or so, including all tarot files, scans and ebooks and lists. So I was glad that I found my list here on my profile. Just copy paste that to a spread sheet that i use to pick my weekly deck. I guess I should back-up more eh?

I am expecting a new shelf for all occult stuff though so when I sort that cabinet out I will try and copy that idea of a 'where it is' column.
Right now I got more books then shelves so everything is a mess. Double rows of books and stacks of books everywhere.

PathWalker

I set up an excel spreadsheet (with similar fields to Gregory's) when I aquired a collection of 100 plus decks at once. I didn't even know what some were, had multiples of others and so forth.
Since then I've stuck with it (it's on a thumb stick, not my hard drive) and add decks as I get them. It enabled me to see a couple of trends in my decks, round decks of course, but I realise I like B&W for example :) and I also rated them, those I would never part with, those I could easily part with for something else, that kind of thing.

I have multiples (3) of my most used deck. It's out of print, and unlikely to come back, and I use it all the time. So I bought them whilst I could still get them. I see the price creeping up now, and know that if I needed a replacement I'd be getting priced out, so for that deck I'm glad I did.

gregory

Oh I have backups and backups of backups on 3 bard drives and 2 thumbsticks.... :)

Hedera

Oh I have backups and backups of backups on 3 bard drives and 2 thumbsticks.... :)

A bard drive, that sounds good!
Gotta get me one of those. ;)

I keep a list of my decks in a small address book, that someone gave me some time and that I didn't use (because I already have an address book).
It's nice because it makes it easy to alphabetize. :)

Haven't updatet it in a while, though...
I'm very very bad at updating and keeping lists (hence no list in my profile; One Of These Days, perhaps).

I don't make note of purchase date or prices or where I bought something: I will write which edition if there are several (like with the Baroque Bohemian Cats), if I've trimmed a deck, etc.
And if I sell or trade it, I cross it out.

Morwenna

Yeah, I'll take a bard drive too. :)

I'm this close to being computer-illiterate. I'm likely to list everything by pen in a notebook. But hubby has a LOT of books for sale, and one of these days one of our friends or maybe his niece will get us started up with a spreadsheet. But I don't think I'll ever have enough Tarot decks to warrant such an effort. I never wrote down the dates or places or prices of the decks I have; most of them I remember the places, but almost none the dates. My profile here on AT has most of them in a rather random order, with a few of the longest-term favorites at the top, and only the last few are chronological (i.e. acquired since I joined this forum). I have only one duplicate, and it's a semi-duplicate because of two different sizes. I have around 30 decks, and I don't expect to more than double that in my lifetime despite however many I fall in love with from scans. And so far I've never traded any away. So keeping track isn't a big thing, though I do wish I had dates on the decks. Too late now. :(

gregory

A bard drive, that sounds good!
Gotta get me one of those. ;)

My BEST one lights up blue when in use. Like Shakespeare. NOT :D

Oops and that !

VGimlet

Access database. (with a backup in Excel in case Office ever falls over, which I always fear, from Microsoft...)

Fields: Catalogue number (I have a catalogue with scans of a couple of cards from each deck), where stored, name, artist, limited etc status, publisher, country, date, no of cards, where bought, when bought, how much for, a few notes about the deck.

I am a geek :|

heh. me too. If I ever do a database, this is what i want. With pie charts available...

(cringing from the rotten tomatoes)

I learned the hard way to have multiple back-up's of everything on my computer. :p
Hmm, I may have to go in and start fooling around with databases...

Hedera

though I do wish I had dates on the decks. Too late now. :(

Yes, I really wish I had dates, too - or at least the order in which I bought the first couple of decks (I do remember from each one where/how I got it, I think).

I know the Thoth was my first, at age 14; but after that there was a loooooooooong gap, of at least 10 and probably more like 15 years, and I SO wonder which were the second and third decks I bought!