List of tarot myths

MareSaturni

carcinya said:
- Justice is 8 and Strength is 11

This is not a myth. In all decks except the Rider-Waite and the ones that follow it's tradition, Justice is 8 and Strength is 11.

Arthur Waite was the one that changed the order and made Strength 8 and Justice 11.

Rasa

don't cross legs or arms when reading cards!

Here's a new and interesting one for me...

I did a reading for two ladies here in Uruguay several months ago, and had my ankles crossed under chair as I began shuffling. The sitter noticed my posture and eyed me with confusion, asking, didn't I know that you can't cross any body parts while reading the Tarot, otherwise it won't work? I told her I had never heard that before, but her friend confirmed that it's common knowledge. :p
I told them there are many different beliefs about how to use Tarot properly, but I uncrossed my legs to apease them. Neither of them had an explanation for why it was necessary...
A short while ago, a friend invited me to attend a Quimbanda ritual (Afro-Brazilian spirituality) with him, and when I sat down on a bench in the temple, I sat it my usual comfy ankles-crossed position. A man beside me tapped me on the shoulder and told me that it was inappropriate to sit with any body parts crossed, because I was in a house of the saints! The plot thickens...
Many Tarot readers here are practicing these types of spirituality, so maybe this not-crossing belief came from there.. but I still don't know what's wrong with crossed body parts...
maybe making a closed posture, or blocking energy flow or something?

Anyone else familiar with this?

carcinya

Marina said:
This is not a myth. In all decks except the Rider-Waite and the ones that follow it's tradition, Justice is 8 and Strength is 11.

Arthur Waite was the one that changed the order and made Strength 8 and Justice 11

I know that. :) What I meant is that they don't accept Strength as 8 and Justice as 11 in other decks. Ergo the myth is "Only Justice can be 8 and Strength can be 11". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sulis

carcinya said:
I know that. :) What I meant is that they don't accept Strength as 8 and Justice as 11 in other decks. Ergo the myth is "Only Justice can be 8 and Strength can be 11". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I don't actually accept that Strength can be number 8. If I get a deck with the Waite numbering I change the numbers of the cards so that I can use them and read them the way I read.
Justice is number 8 and that's the end of that }).

gregory

Sulis said:
I don't actually accept that Strength can be number 8. If I get a deck with the Waite numbering I change the numbers of the cards so that I can use them and read them the way I read.
Justice is number 8 and that's the end of that }).
No it isn't })

Kreative-Dragon

AHAHA, what a way to spend my work time, picking through this.

Have a couple of stories for you mates. One myth "tarot is a deadly serious buisness, and you can use the cards to play games" This was brought to my attention after a road trip with my family. My brother has pretty crazy ADHD, and I'm a little wonked myself XP BUT someone forgot the deck of playing cards we bring for roadtrips. I had my decks with me, so I whipped out the DT and then procedded to remove the Pages and all the Major Arcanas (poor Pages, what did you ever do wrong), and we then played a number of rounds of poker, cheat, slapjack and BlackJack. I was telling a mate this story, and we were cackling over the fact that my brother Jame dropped his hand when trying to slap the deck for slapjack, and then demaned a reading from the upright cards. But another kid at school tore me one that I wasn't "respecting the great spirits that gave me such a precious gift"

And then theres the story of the twins nextdoor, who informed me that when I read for them "the spread relates to both of them, because they're twins and everything that will happen to one will happen to the other." I looked over that their mother, who nodded and stated "It's true". I then pointed out that ONE of them had broken her arm.
BAZINGA!!!

MissJo

A little late, but I got one to add :p

The only deck that you should read with is RWS because every other deck (with the exception of Mersailles, but RWS just makes Mersailles easier) is completely useless.

MissJo

And then theres the story of the twins nextdoor, who informed me that when I read for them "the spread relates to both of them, because they're twins and everything that will happen to one will happen to the other." I looked over that their mother, who nodded and stated "It's true". I then pointed out that ONE of them had broken her arm.
BAZINGA!!!

Dragon: 1
Twins and mother: 0

Nice! XD

Minotauro

Xd

Hmm. You should say very calmly:
"Oh! The death card. Love the art on this one.
Okay.
The meaning is that you will die.
........ Eventually! (burst out laughing, then suddenly stop and look worried) Unless you've been BITTEN???"

I just laughed too much at this I am SOOOOOO doing this to my friends XD lol , I cant wait for it to happen :p

Minotauro

Oh!

tarot is for girls :'C