Lovers and platonic r'ships

BrightEye

I've been mulling this card over for some time now. Has it ever come up for any of you as the desire for an intimate but platonic relationship?

Lexie

Yes, sure it has...

Thirteen

The old name for the Lovers was just "Love" and I think it's more accurate. "Lovers" suggests romance and sex, but there is all kinds of Love, including Platonic. Much more apt for a card about connecting to someone or something spiritually and mentally rather than sexually (not that sex is ever ruled out with the card, but it's really about that recognition of a soulmate, whether or not there's any physically attraction).

BrightEye

Soulmate relationship is heavy stuff though, more so than physical attraction. Don't know whether this is good news or whether that is what indeed applies, but I'm glad to read I'm not the onlly one.

Lexie

BrightEye said:
Soulmate relationship is heavy stuff though, more so than physical attraction. Don't know whether this is good news or whether that is what indeed applies, but I'm glad to read I'm not the onlly one.

Yes indeed..a relationship of that kind is something precious but also quite difficult sometimes...

~Lexie~

mrene

Thirteen wrote:
"The old name for the Lovers was just "Love" and I think it's more accurate. "Lovers" suggests romance and sex, but there is all kinds of Love, including Platonic. Much more apt for a card about connecting to someone or something spiritually and mentally rather than sexually (not that sex is ever ruled out with the card, but it's really about that recognition of a soulmate, whether or not there's any physically attraction)."

I agree
Sometimes we get what we wish for ~
we've found our soulmate (at least what I thought a soulmate should be)...and indeed We Have, but it is not as we had imagined it would be.

It's tough and I know as I've been through it with someone who is very close to me. It is as if we are mirrors of one another and know without ever having to speak a word. But the physical bond is just not to be; and we both have come to terms with that but it took some time for us to get to this point. We took some time away from each other and managed to come back to one another again. Although we now are even closer than we had been in the past, there has been some revamping of our foundation to make this relationship work as well as it does and we both invested ourselves in that endeavor.

I know I will never find anyone, nor will any other relationship be as close to me as the one I have with him. But you know I feel so blessed that we found each other in this lifetime and I know we will be together once more in another life after this one. Perhaps one where we'll be free of what our physical aches and desires are right here and now. Does that make sense?

My advice would be to really think quite a bit if you're considering sacrificing this relationship that has and will continue to enrich your life in so many other deeply meaningful ways.

Take good care and best wishes to you

Lexie

mrene said:
Thirteen wrote:
"The old name for the Lovers was just "Love" and I think it's more accurate. "Lovers" suggests romance and sex, but there is all kinds of Love, including Platonic. Much more apt for a card about connecting to someone or something spiritually and mentally rather than sexually (not that sex is ever ruled out with the card, but it's really about that recognition of a soulmate, whether or not there's any physically attraction)."

I agree
we've found our soulmate (at least what I thought a soulmate should be)...and indeed We Have, but it is not as we had imagined it would be.

It's tough and I know as I've been through it with someone who is very close to me. It is as if we are mirrors of one another and know without ever having to speak a word. But the physical bond is just not to be; and we both have come to terms with that but it took some time for us to get to this point. We took some time away from each other and managed to come back to one another again. Although we now are even closer than we had been in the past, there has been some revamping of our foundation to make this relationship work as well as it does and we both invested ourselves in that endeavor.

I know I will never find anyone, nor will any other relationship be as close to me as the one I have with him. But you know I feel so blessed that we found each other in this lifetime and I know we will be together once more in another life after this one. Perhaps one where we'll be free of what our physical aches and desires are right here and now. Does that make sense?

My advice would be to really think quite a bit if you're considering sacrificing this relationship that has and will continue to enrich your life in so many other deeply meaningful ways.

This is also another great post. :)

~Lexie~

BrightEye

mrene said:

This is a wonderful post! Not sure whether the person I had in mind is a soulmate though. There seems to be so much distance between us. It feels like an energy wall when we talk. We are not 'close' at all, although I do sometimes 'know' things about this person, like picking up a frequency, but I don't know if it happens to her too. Yet, that card comes up all the time...

star-lover

mrene's post should be framed and gilded :D

re lovers - i could never see this as a platonic relationship - aka just friendly/intellectual
what does platonic mean?

lovers to me means just that - lovers - passionate about each other in all ways

Grizabella

Sex can be one way of expressing love. But sex isn't love. Love is 90% non-sexual but so many people confuse sex with love because of movies and literature and TV commercials and what-not that the most wonderful and beautiful intimacy two people can share without sex gets lost in the hype. This card can certainly come up to indicate the desire for an intimate but platonic relationship, if by that you mean intimacy without sex, and I think it often does but people don't recognize it for that because they mistakenly believe that love=sex.