Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

Imagemaker

I love checking out your new cards! Great progress.

Two immediate thoughts:
1. The animals look "cute," even with the grimace on the monkey, giving this a slightly whimsical tone, though it goes with the insouciant Emperor's backwards cap. (That word just popped into mind and insisted on being used.)

2. Don't most depictions of the Wheel have it turning clockwise? The head-leading positions of the monkey and alligator make me think this wheel turns counterclockwise.

You may want this "reversal," but it strikes me as too meaningful to let slip through unnoticed--or is there a message that we back into all our changes of fortune?

Major Tom

Imagemaker said:
Two immediate thoughts:
1. insouciant (That word just popped into mind and insisted on being used.)

2. is there a message that we back into all our changes of fortune?

I love getting feedback like yours. ;)

You are very sharp with your perceptions.

ouch! :laugh:

Imagemaker

Well, as I go for jury duty tomorrow, I'm working with my swords to be ready for all that incisive analysis I'll need to inflict :)

Got bandaids? (plasters, I believe you call them).

M-Press

Imagemaker said:

2. Don't most depictions of the Wheel have it turning clockwise? The head-leading positions of the monkey and alligator make me think this wheel turns counterclockwise.

You may want this "reversal," but it strikes me as too meaningful to let slip through unnoticed--or is there a message that we back into all our changes of fortune?

Very interesting point... I never thought of that, BUT when I talk about the Wheel to other non-tarot people, i always say that the blind filded Fortuna, turned the while, either way, as she pleased, slowly or fast, to the right or to the left...
Did i make this up?

To me it makes total sense that it can turn two ways, and doesn't that describe the proces of "one step forward, two backwards"?

I like it that way...
i n any case major Tom, my comments on your cards, stay increasingly stable: THE MORE I SEE OF THEM- THE MORE I LIKE.
You totally work well in a "series"....;)

Imagemaker

To me it makes total sense that it can turn two ways, and doesn't that describe the proces of "one step forward, two backwards"?

I agree. Is there someway of depicting this simply? Or is that necessary.

I just passed 500 posts! Fireworks and hosannas!

M-Press

Congrats about the post Imagemaker!
Lucky you...can have a sexy avatar now!!! ;)

I don't think there is anything "simple" about the tarot, just like there is nothing simple about life. Sometimes what goes forward can go backwards, and sometimes, what goes forward, has no way of returning...
I guess the image of the wheel itself, already holds all these in it. The various directions and speeds, the subtle and major differences. The need to go with the flow and adjust...
So maybe it is "simple" after all, but as we know by now, simple is the most difficult to do...

Major Tom

M-Press said:
To me it makes total sense that it can turn two ways, and doesn't that describe the process of "one step forward, two backwards"?

I don't disagree with you M-Press, but all the Marseilles pattern renditions I could find depicted The Wheel in the same fashion as I have used. :)

There are certainly, older depictions and I believe this includes the Visconti, that show Fortuna turning the Wheel. ;)

How about Major Tom's Marseilles Style Tarot as a name? I seem to be calling it that anyway. :rolleyes:

Imagemaker

Or a donkey...

Oh, what I thought was a long tail wrapped around the wheel IS actually back legs. And those ears . . . sorry! That long snout had me completely mesmerized :)

But then water-based animal life isn't represented . . . I like the idea of a gator.