Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

Diana

Tom, I suggest a small change to the Conjuror. You know that little round thingy he's holding in his hand? You should put it dead centre. Not dead centre of his body. Dead centre of the card.

Also, I would suggest that the Pope is a little more attentive to the two guys in front of him. He is after all supposed to be blessing them. He doesn't need to look at them directly, but he is aware of their presence.....

In the Lovers card, the guy is holding his left hand in the wrong position - he shouldn't be touching the woman on his left. (His arm is not visible) (The woman actually has her arm in the most curious position.....)

Ideally, the two horses in the Chariot should not be the same colour. (They represent two different things.)

You know that little bit of yellow on the Hermit's robe? Well, if you could draw a little rabbit there, that would be cool. :) (But it's not essential.)

The little creature on the right on the Wheel of Fortune - one can't see well enough that his ears are bound. (He can't hear.)

Diana

I think you should call this deck Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles. That's what it is, no?

Major Tom

Diana said:
I think you should call this deck Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles. That's what it is, no?

Diana, Thank you so very much! :D

So it is Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles. I might just edit this thread's title. ;)

Can we talk here about your suggestions?

I can understand why the coin should be dead centre on The Conjuror.

I have to admit that while studying the Pope card, before drawing it, I experienced an audience with him. He was on a huge platform stage and I was but a member of a throng. This experience definitely affected how I drew the card. The Pope is aware of the two in front of him on the card as a part of a large group. Those two in front are appaulading the person of The Pope, but not The Pope's message.

I was able to examine a large number of different versions of the Lovers (and I think I need to change my card title to The Lover) and thus became aware of the many and various ways the arms of the characters are portrayed. I came to believe that we are witnessing the moment a man leaves his mother to live with his wife and thus drew it the way you see.

For The Chariot I admit undue influence from a particular version of the card (was it the Camoin or the Hadar?) I think I will make this change.

I wasn't able to find many different versions of The Hermit on-line. A bunny? Really? Can you show me a version that has the bunny?

On The Wheel, if we're talking about the right of the card, I decided this was a jackass. The creature on the left of the card, I decided was a monkey. The creature on top in my mind is a sphinx. So we should see the jackass has his ears tied back? Or should the monkey have a bandage around his head?

The originals of these cards are drawn on a A4 Goldline drawing pad in pencil then inked with a broadpoint rollerball and the pencil erased. The images on my website are scanned and coloured in PaintShop and Photoshop and seriously reduced in resolution. I love going through the drawings on paper. ;) Someone would have to break into my house to steal this from me. :laugh:

Lady Eclipse

Hi Tom,

I've returned to look at your latest additions and they are superb! I love the way the Hermit stands so tall and straight. His expression is that of seeking, yet, interested in contemplating his desire to seek out the hidden mysteries. The way he's dressed is so compelling and I like how his walking staff/cane stands out.

The Wheel is a delight for my eyes. The drawing is well done and so colorful, but it's their expressions that make this card for me. Each has such an expressive face and I'm very pleased you captured it so well.

I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you with a name (had to finish editing one of my books and I cannot seem to get much work done if I'm hanging out here) but the one picked couldn't be more perfect. And to answer your question, no, I'm not only telling you what you want to hear. I think this deck is great and I look forward to when you will have it available for purchase. :) I may even want to use your deck to give to students if I decide to get back into teaching tarot classes again.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Diana

Major Tom: You will find the bunny in this attachment. (Grimaud version of the Hermite). (I'll get back to your other comments later.)

Attachments

• 09-hermite.jpg
    09-hermite.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 113

Diana

And here is a picture of the "jackass" (What is a jackass? I have seen the movie Jackass - it was a very unusual experience to watch :D , but I suppose you are talking about something else.)

With a stretch of imagination, one can find the three monkeys: Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil. (The sphinx at the top is possibly blind, and the "monkey" on the left is dumb.)

Attachments

• 10-roue_fortune.jpg
    10-roue_fortune.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 120

Diana

Major Tom said:
I have to admit that while studying the Pope card, before drawing it, I experienced an audience with him. He was on a huge platform stage and I was but a member of a throng. This experience definitely affected how I drew the card. The Pope is aware of the two in front of him on the card as a part of a large group. Those two in front are appaulading the person of The Pope, but not The Pope's message.

Well, if you experienced this, then I suppose this is in order. :)

I was able to examine a large number of different versions of the Lovers (and I think I need to change my card title to The Lover) and thus became aware of the many and various ways the arms of the characters are portrayed. I came to believe that we are witnessing the moment a man leaves his mother to live with his wife and thus drew it the way you see.

Yes, please change the title to The Lover. As to the hands position - I will seek more information and let you know if they are important or not. :)

For The Chariot I admit undue influence from a particular version of the card (was it the Camoin or the Hadar?) I think I will make this change.

The horses relate to our emotions, our instincts. These are very fierce passions that can destroy us if we do not keep them under control. Georges Colleuil, for instance, speaks of "desire" (the red horse) and "anger" (the blue horse.) Or maybe I'm making a mistake here - I would think that the red would be more the anger :confused: . I will ask him when I see him in a couple of weeks time.

Jewel-ry

Major Tom,

I have only just found this thread (doh!). I love your deck. Its really growing on me. I think its improving as you go along. I absolutely loved the Hermit and the WOF and cant wait for the next addition.

J :)

Major Tom

Diana said:
" (What is a jackass? )

From Webster's New World Dictionary jackass (jak'as') n. {Jack + ass} 1. a male donkey 2. a stupid or foolish person.

Diana thanks so much for all of this. :)

Give me a bit of time to work these changes. :eek: I am however convinced that they are necessary. I make the chages at high resolution but some changes require scanning the originals again. I think I'll scan the Conjuror again to get it centred - it needs other work as well to better translate to such low resolution as displayed.

The Chariot won't take long after I figure out which horse should remain blue and which should be another colour and what that colour is.

The binding for the jackass' ears is just a couple of lines and a flood.

The Lover is just the title.

The bunny is easy. Think I'll do that first.

I have a confession to make to you Diana. I wasn't completely convinced that I was making an authentic Marseilles until you told me I am. Thank you. :*

Major Tom

Lady Eclipse said:
And to answer your question, no, I'm not only telling you what you want to hear. I think this deck is great and I look forward to when you will have it available for purchase. :) I may even want to use your deck to give to students if I decide to get back into teaching tarot classes again.

Maralee,

Ok, I believe you are not trying to tell me what I want to hear, but please let me assure you, you are telling me precisely what I want to hear - especially that bit about giving it to students. :laugh: