Majors Only?

Mallah

@ LeFanu....see, I'm thinking of marketing this myself, with the "pimp your own deck" strategy....yes, the minors are coming later, but SOLD SEPERATELY; and there will be TWO sets of them (at least...)

And then, other "Booster Paks" at regular intervals. Maybe someone wants a more Traditional Hierophant than i offered? No problem, he's coming in a month! People can order alternate cards seperately; and when they become available, they can order whichever version they want....a "pizza toppings" scenario...Tarot Ala Carte...

Maybe you prefer the "Adam & Eve" Lovers instead of "The Choice"...or you like the version that's in there now...maybe you want all 3!

Maybe you want illustrated minors that are basically RWS inspired...maybe the "moody minors" or pips.

And I'm thinking of having a set of court cards that are like what you see in playing cards...with heads at both ends, all stylized like the playing cards courts....but are "character" based and show something of that court card's character....But maybe you don't like that...no problem, here are the more traditional courts. Maybe you want princesses instead of pages. No problem, they are coming in the August booster pak!

Since I am self publishing I'll be able to do all this craziness.

So those people who say "I'll wait for the minors" won't have to, because when the minors come, they will be available as a seperate package. And in the style they prefer: illustrated or non.

@ tarotbear. yeah, I'm working on the book too; but this will be self published too, and I'm not sure it will be ready at the same time. I go back and forth about whether this is a book FOR THIS DECK or a more general offering...so I'm keeping the stuff about these particular designs in seperate paragraphs so i can include/exclude them easily based on what i decide later.

Am I trying to make everybody happy? No. One should create the deck one wishes to see. One of the things i remember about myself was that I was never satisfied, there was always that ONE CARD...that threw the whole thing off...so I'm coming up with a deck that will allow people to have the mix they want! The backs will match, and the art will be in the same style... they'll be the same size and weight (easier said than done, I bet...I'll deal with that when I get there!).

(Heck, maybe I should paks of 5 cards and sell them with little sheets of old dried up bubble gum! LOL)

My goal, right NOW is to finish 2 minor arcanas to go with these majors. There will be one set of Courts (later other offerings). One set of minors will be illustrated and one will be non illustrated. I'll be done with the majors in about a week I think, then on to the minors. I want to do the two minor arcanas side by side. Who knows? Maybe this will sway me to actually read with illustrated minors again myself!

I want the illustrateds to be different in the art than RWS....in other words, I don't want somebody juggling for the 2 of coins....but I want something that makes sense for some of the OTHER meanings for that card (and there are plenty).

But then, after that, some people might not want the OTHER MEANING...they might want a juggler there...no problem, he's coming out in the March booster pak...along with....

THey can buy them seperate too...

They will be free to change out that one, or those FIVE that they don't resonate with; if I'm offering one they DO resonate with.

AND they will be free to contact me and request a card that shows xyz, and I'll hook them up, and make that card available to the public as well, as a further release!

Teheuti

In general, I prefer to purchase 78-card decks if they are planned that way. I occasionally will purchase Majors-only of a 78-card deck-in-progress, but I consider it more of a way of supporting the project, and getting to see and play with cards I love without having to wait an extra year or two. A few exceptions are like Cathy McClelland's amazing set of oversized Majors and other Trump decks that are meant for primarily for meditation. I also appreciate several decks that were only ever intended as majors.

I have a few Majors-only spreads that I like. I also have a couple of 22 card spreads where the position meanings are based on the trumps. I'll use a Majors-only deck as position markers and then shuffle and layout a 78-card deck on top of them.

So, if I know a deck is going to come out in 78 cards eventually, I'll usually wait for the whole thing (with the exception noted above). I absolutely hate it when I'm told there will only be 22 cards, and then find out that a 78-card deck comes out soon after - like happened with a couple of early USGames decks.

I might not mind ordering the Majors and Minors-only separately, especially if given a choice of two Minors. I'm not sure how I like the idea of "booster packs" - the card stock and ink would have to be an exact match.

Sinduction

My partner wants to release a majors only deck as a preview to our deck. I'm still debating it. I know the collector's will want it and it might be a good way to pump up interest for the real release.

I'm still on the fence. He wants to do special packaging and really do it up, making the cards larger than the finished deck will be.

I'm just not sure I want to do that.

It really comes down to what you want to do and how you feel you should proceed.

I do read with majors only decks, that's how I do predictive readings. Any other reading gets a full deck.

Mallah

@Teheuti

you have a point there about the ink; I'll have to ponder that one...not to mention, buying a new card and placing it in a worn deck. (AND I KNOW THAT THIS DECK WILL BE EVERYONE'S FAVORITE AND THEY WILL BE GETTING LOTS OF WEAR!)

So maybe I'll have to offer (I'm joking here) an upgrade option...sort of like the service plan you get with your phone...if something goes wrong and you have the service plan, you get a free replacement with cards that all match! LOL.

Yeah, i'ts getting way to complex.

Guess I'll have to go with my two different minor arcanas and pakage them with my majors, and let people pick which deck they want when they purchase one.

(Or just offer the non-illustrated minors, as that's where my heart lies. And there are so few decks out in this vein these days! )