Majors only?

ArcanoMáximo

Well, i never do that, i'm with Rachel Pollack here about how all elements are mix in Tarot like in real life...
but perhaps is convenient when trying to know something only about psychology...
Also there are readers that use the Suit of Cups only to ask by relations issues, or the suit of Pentaces to ask for finance aspects ...etc
i 've a book that recommend use only mayor with the Aces and the Court cards...The author find that very accurate !!!!
I've proved all methods, but can do it well at all with out the full deck.

MeeWah

If prompted, I use a Majors only deck though generally prefer the nuances or aspects of a full deck.

Sometimes preface a larger throw with a 'pre-throw' one-card draw of a Majors only deck such as Tarot for Cats or the Caring Psychic Family. It can reveal the 'tone' of the throw & what to look for.

Amhran

I can understand why someone would want to use majors only, but I can't past the feeling that a majors only spread makes everything feel too "big"--too important. Like exclaimation marks after every sentence. And since I often read for everyday type of situations, I prefer the subtlely of using the whole deck.

And if I were reading for a romantic situation, I would never use only cups--too much other good advice would be left out of the reading by doing that. Also, I feel like it would be like "loading the dice" so to speak. I mean, what if the other person is not feeling mutual love-type feelings, then the only recourse the cards would have would be to just turn all those cups cards upside down, I guess.

tarobones

minors are awesome

I would not separate the majors and the minors. I feel they need each other. One can only "hop" around one one leg, but with two legs one can run, and even dance! :)

Annabelle

For most purposes I prefer using a 78 card deck.

However, I have quite a few lovely majors-only decks, and I enjoy using them from time to time. I tend towards smaller spreads (usually 3 to 5 cards) when using a majors-only deck, though.

I also have a few 78 card decks with minors that are so horrible that I simply will not use them - for example, the Merlin tarot. Lovely majors, but the ugliest minors I've ever seen. And so if I took a notion to use the Merlin tarot for a reading, I would definitely take the minors out of the deck and just use the 22 majors.

raeanne

Hi all,
I have a few 'major only' decks. Most of the time when I use one of these decks (or just the majors from any other deck) it is when I am in a situation where I "can't see the forest for the trees". If it is a confusing situation and I am right in the middle of it, the majors will give me great insight. A three card spread is usually all I need in these cases.

Emeraldgirl

I have a few majors only decks as well and I use them but for three card spreads only. The minors to me represent the more mundane and everyday aspects of life. The majors are the bigger more life changing things.

NeXoRiouS

22 Majors (22/4)
56 Minor (11/2)
78 in Total (33/6)

It’s kind of wasted if we don’t fully utilize the wonders an entire deck can present to us. After all, if the creator of the deck had wanted only 22 cards, why bother to draw up the rest of the 56? Plus, isn’t it kind of rude to dismantle someone’s creation and say ‘I prefer this part, I’ll not touch that which I do not like’?

Just wondering…

Sulis

I don't have any Majors only decks and I don't think I've ever done a reading with just the Majors - I like to keep the deck whole.

Love Sulis xx

Quizeen

When I do readings for myself, I rarely ever draw any majors (I'm a homey, practical sort of person). If I ditched the minors, I'd have no readings! :)