Marseille 3-card combinations

Teheuti

Chariot (moving into the situation/future) - a will to get more education. Sees it as meeting a challenge. The degree or certificate as proof of victory or mastery

8 Wands - At first it is full steam ahead; admittance probable and even the money seems available. Where there's a will there's a way.

8 Swords - Something opposes or stalemates the plan and so there are more problems than first encountered. (In old card meanings there is opposition from friends or family or an illness.)

Added - This person may be able to strongly meet the difficulties of the 8 of Swords and not let these deter him/her.

Yurikome

Can I give this a shot? I'm more of a lurker but do this kind of exercise in my journal from time to time...

Just by looking at the cards and using the scheme:
1. Querent's
2. relationship with
3. the Quesited

I would say that the sitter has a very flexible mind where ideas flourish all the time. Their choice of studies is purely logical - an area that is "on top", rapidly evolving and promising employment and good income. Except for some reason there doesn't seem to be an honest involvement in it. What cool analysis regarded as the best choice turned out to be repellent in its nature. Maybe it's the way the subject is taught? I don't know, but putting these two together makes them bounce off each other. The sitter might feel internal pressure to push through nevertheless, for fear of being judged as a quitter.
If they get a degree, I'd say they'll be looking back at the time of studying with a kind of "what was I thinking?!" attitude.

(interesting fact: I am Polish yet I did all of my tarot learning in English. Thus reading tarot swimmingly in English yet stuttering a lot in Polish. Here it was quite different than with the RWS type of decks - I was actually trying to translate from Polish as I was writing. Could the Marseilles be the solution to my Polish-block? :) I'll have to try reading it face to face for people and see.)

Bernice

Teheuti There are dozens of sets of playing card meanings so it's important to determine which ones (or which systems) you are going to use and stick to them (or simply work intuitively with the cards).
I agree there are many ways to interpret cards :). But as there is no necessity in this thread to stick with one particular method/system, I chose to use the ones I found. The similarity in final interpretations, although not quite the same as other methods, is surprising.

A new set!

Subject:Education/Studies: 8 Swords + 8 Batons + Chariot

Hmm..... I'll come back to this.

Bee :)

alec

Subject: Education/Studies
Method: Mel's Pips and Courts

Card 1: Querent
The querent may have lost their job or undergone some kind of earthshaking personal event in the past, and is now trying valiantly to pick up the pieces. So far they may not be feeling that they are making much progress, and could feel sensitive and quick to react to any perceived criticism.

Card 3: Education/Studies
This represents an excellent and real opportunity for the querent to receive positive recognition. The school or opportunity this represents would welcome the querent and is seeking them.

Card 2: Interaction
Another 8 -Things are in motion and continuing along the path that has been set. The querent should keep moving and doing whatever is needed to keep things going.

Overall assessment: -2 +5 +0 = +3 Good.

Explanation
Eight of Swords
Swords indicate struggles and challenges. The 8 continues on in the direction started by the 7, which in this case was an explosion of some kind. The card has poor dignity.

The Chariot
Positively dignified, and active, it has a +5 dignity.

Teheuti

Bernice said:
I agree there are many ways to interpret cards :). But as there is no necessity in this thread to stick with one particular method/system, I chose to use the ones I found.
Bee - I agree. I simply wanted to make sure that everyone understands this, so I presented some examples.

Rasa

my system: my own. I associate the suits with the elements/different parts of self, and the numbers each have their own meaning. I also interpret visually ("eye rhymes")
I'm looking at the cards as a progressing timeline from left to right.

The number 8 to me is about intensity, the energy of the suit at its fullest, perhaps to an excess. As there are two 8's next to each other, there may be a warning there for stress or burnout.. too much in a short period of time.
The eight of swords shows first an intensity in the mind-- learning, thinking; jumping full force into the intellect.
This intellectual stimulation causes an explosion of passion and ambition. The mind is on fire, and this also fires up the person's goals.
Their studies excite them about future career possibilities, and as they're given new insight into the subjects which interest them, they become more and more passionate.
As these cards are air and fire, they work harmoniously together... I think of that either as a well oxygenated flame that grows bigger, or a wildfire spread by wind, or of the metal of the sword itself being made fluid by the fire. Either way, the swords and wands are functioning togther to create something bigger.

All this energy and thought invested in the educational endeavor bears fruit in the Chariot; but also that is only the beginning. To me, these cards show an education that is really a stepping stone to much more. There is forward motion in the Chariot, as well as victory. This is someone with a great deal of momentum, eager not only to succeed in their studies, but to put what they learn to use; and to continue being challenged.

Flaxen

Just stumbled across this thread, hope you don't mind if I chip in. This is the first time I've tried this with a TDM deck, please be gentle. :)

8 of swords, 8 of batons, chariot

method: My own, using a combination of numerology (Chaldean table which runs 1-8) and visual.

The 8 of swords is the culmination and brings to mind intellect and communication. The swords are bending which makes me think the querent is bending their intellect/intelligence in a certain direction. The communication aspect makes me wonder if they have been writing applications or conversely are at the end of their studies having just written a thesis.

The 8 of Batons makes me think of the culmination of a great creative endeavour. Again, it makes me wonder if this person it actually at the end of cycle with something.

The combination of air/fire here also makes me wonder if this person could be suffering from 'burn-out'. There is such intensity here - it seems all their energy has gone into this.

The Chariot also suggest drive and ambition. This person has put their all into this and will no doubt have successful outcome even if it leaves them a bit frazzled.

Moonbow

Visual method

So we have two eights in this reading and though the Chariot is there it seems the 8 Batons is the card getting all the attention from the Charioteer and horses. Success will depend on determination and steady progression. This person will have to push him/herself to stick at the educational course they are doing as they may find the course can be boring. There is a calm peacefulness about the eights so this could be mature education.

I intend trying some playing card methods when I can find a complete one which gels with me. Still waiting for the C Thorpe book Card Fortune Telling but I believe its snowed in at the Post Office, or in their backlog.

Kwaw has some very interesting playing card correspondences here (post 9):

What are your individual approaches to the four suits

Bernice

8 Swords + 8 Batons + Chariot:

Life Area: Education/Studies:
System: Math properties of numbers. (Still dickering with this approach....)

I'm coming at this from a slightly different angle, attempting to discover the subject of the studies.

The 8s = these have the properties of being both Deficient and Square.
Deficiency = aware of being less than complete. Wanting to reach completion.
Square = Able to make adjustments/alterations, but only within given parameters.

So the 8s act to enhance or extend issues within basic guidelines in the following manner;
8 Swords = Disiplined, orderly, strict.
8 Batons = To maintain, administer, reform.

With the Chariot, this appears to indicate studies in engineering. The Chariot as a trump card (Public display & acknowledgement of victory) probably makes for some 'top of the range' vehicle. Fiddling with a 'basic' engine to create something very special, a 'formula one' car?

Bee :)

Lumen

Going back to school?

I really don't see swords as negative, in fact I don't see any of the TdM cards as purely negative or purely positive, as I've had the good old Ace of Cups come up for depression, anger, and sadness... To me, the cards change their meaning according to the cards next to them, that is, if you don't use reversed cards. I also see swords+wands as supportive of each other.

Anyway...

8 of swords indicates that there will be an abundance of mental activity, perhaps it will be balanced, but it depends on the card that precedes it - which actually color the 8 of swords as negative or positive. It seems that this educational endeavor will give you a lot to work with, perhaps lots of reading, studying, and also trying to balance other mental aspects.

8 of wands, a good card to follow 8 of swords, shows that a lot of activity in whatever project this person is working on. Both 8s are speaking of a lot of mental work towards a project and balancing other activities. It will be all-consuming project.

Chariot indicates an active pursuit, and a drive to triumph in whatever is the project the person is working.

I see these three cards as a positive indication that your education endeavor will be successful. But, to be certain, the card that precedes 8 of sword and the card the follows Chariot will give a better picture of the situation. As is, it reads very positive to me, and you will be transformed and fulfilled through this educational pursuit.

Good luck, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!