Marseille 3-card combinations

Lumen

Oh, yes, my method:

I don't follow one prescribed method; I use a hybridization of methodology. Some of you will call it a hodgepodge, but it works very well for me, as I don't assign a doomsday or a joyful happiness interpretation to any of the cards.

First, I use Camoin 'regard' methodology, which implies that the card cannot and will not have a fixed meaning as it will be affected by the preceding card, and affects the following card.

Second, I use the 'minors follow majors', method (8 = Justice), and only the 10 first cards, as they are the earthly types.

Third, each suit has a property - air, fire, earth, and water and they are either harmonious or detrimental in combination.

Lastly, I use some of the Pythagorean method, which I place in the background, and use this method just slightly.

In my method, TdM cards are affected by the cards next to them, they possess flexible and changeable meanings. But mostly, with all these four elements listed above, I read intuitively, focusing on metaphors shown in the cards, and my first look and feel for the cards are usually the correct ones. As such, I tend to avoid complicated and complex interpretations based on Eastern esoteric concepts, as they have a tendency to muddle the meanings and interpretation.

My deck? Grimaud.

Moonbow

Anyone want to draw some more cards?

Herzog

Beautiful cards

This person seems to have drive and ambition but they're stuck in the mud, so to speak. They display confidence in their actions but on the inside they doubt themselves. In order to move forward, this person needs to go back and reevaluate all the reasons they were drawn to schooling in the first place

Teheuti

Deck: Jean Dodal
Subject: State of Finances
No spread positions (integrated meaning)

Eight of Coins - 7 of Cups - 3 of Wands

Teheuti

I realize when looking at these cards that I can't totally get away from my Golden Dawn/RWS concepts—they are far too ingrained within me. However, rather than try to superimpose the RWS images, I try to focus on the "weight" and impressions I get from these cards as they work together.

My interpretation is:
Wondering whether or not to invest a moderate amount of money (perhaps from a windfall) in an unstable market or in an alluring-but-unproven commodity. The will, desire and money is there but the situation is iffy.

Explanation:
3 Wands: Committing to action or enterprise. But, as a Yang card to the side of two Yin cards, it makes me think that it is considering whether to act on their proposal.
8 Coins: Strongest allusion to the financial situation. Suggests that finances are moderately stable but final adjustments need to be made to arrive at completion or satisfaction.
7 Cups: Unstable emotions, risky situation, unclear direction. A test or trial involving pleasures and desires. As the central card and linked to the Coins elementally, it makes me uneasy about what are the real (rather than fantasized) circumstances.

Herzog

The seven cups resembles the three wands in "form" -the top three cups and the top three wand handles, the bottom three cups and the bottom three wand handle, the center cup and knotted center of the wands- To me this suggests a group of people who may have had high hopes with an investment but are far too stiff and rigid in their dealings with each other.

What's at stake are those eight coins and in order to earn this the people need to loosen up and cooperate

Teheuti

Herzog said:
The seven cups resembles the three wands in "form" -the top three cups and the top three wand handles, the bottom three cups and the bottom three wand handle, the center cup and knotted center of the wands
How cool! I can totally see the connection you are making. I'm curious - what makes you advise loosening up as opposed to being stiff and rigid? Are you saying it's better to be the 7 of Cups than the 3 of Wands??

I'm not trying to argue this. I just want to understand what suggests that one approach is better than the other—given your understanding of the three.

Elendil

No formal system, just using the images and what I may have picked up from reading Herzog and Le Fanu's discussions recently...

To me, this array of cards suggests someone who has carefully saved or invested money and has made some return (The six carefully guarded and placed coins with two seemingly less tightly constricted 'extra' coins on top).
There is an instinctual (Cups) urge to 'do something' with the extra money - but the three of wands suggests that this is ill -considered. (As Herzog points out, the 7 Cups and 3 Wands resemble each other in form - and for me 'overlaid' the Wands cancel out each of the cups, with an emphatic X over the emotional response represented by the central cup).

Though money is not tight at the moment, best advice is to keep hold of it and let it generate more. Squandering (even the surplus) is an unwise course of action at this time...

Elendil

Teheuti

Elendil said:
To me, this array of cards suggests someone who has carefully saved or invested money and has made some return (The six carefully guarded and placed coins with two seemingly less tightly constricted 'extra' coins on top).
What a fabulous way of seeing this arrangement! Wow! I'm learning so much.

Rasa

I, too, had been enjoying Herzog and Le Fanu's thread, and have been working with wonky visual interpretations of pips lately.

Today, the first thing I saw in that 8 of coins was what looks like people.
In the centre of the card, on the edges, there are yellow dots, attatched to blue and red stems. Imagine that the yellow dots are the faces, and the figures are leaning in towards each other.
If you look above and below, you can see 4 more of these 'people' (in yellow), one solitary in each corner.

The 8's are about intensity to me, and the coins about money or work.. So today this looked like a very complex and busy workplace, with everything running as it should.
(there is also a 4-pointed star in the centre of the card, like a compass, showing that things are well balanced in many directions).
I imagine healthy relationships between coworkers, as the pairs in the centre; effective partnerships. For the ones in the corners, I'm thinking of self-sufficient folk in their cubicles.

In the second card, there are 'people' again, but these aren't quite as tidy looking. The two on the bottom are hunched over like they are sad, the two above seem to be leaning backwards, like they are recoiling away from something, and the two on top look more like snakes!

I think of the 7's as choice and paradox, or expansiveness. In the cups (emotions or relationships), it shows people perhaps not settled in what they feel, flitting from one emotion to another, or else people caught up in emotional lala land, not well grounded in reality.
Perhaps that central cup shows a toxic (because of the reactions of the 'people' around it), in the workplace, threatening to mess up the well-oiled machine shown in the first card.

I also noticed what Herzog did, about the cups and wands in the last two cards mirroring each other; and the leaves mirror each other as well.
When I look from the 7 of cups to the 3 of wands, and back again, I can imagine the centre of that card opening and closing. In the 7, the branches open wide to reaveal the cup. In the 3, they snap shut to keep it concealed or controlled (the crossing wands like a barrier), and as they do so, the leaves (people!) open up more and now look very ornate, and perhaps even a little electric (all those strange jagged lines on the leaves are like lightning on the people's backs).
3's to me are about expansion, and wands about goals and enthusiasm, so these are people who are excited about what they can accomplish, when no one is complicating things for them.

So...... my overall interpretation is that this person's finances are tied into the success of their business (or perhaps a business they have invested in), where the people involved will affect their financial success. It's important that anyone who is causing disharmony in that workplace be dealt with swiftly, so as not to interfere with what other people are doing, or try to take things in their own direction which stifles the flow of things for more productive folks that may be there.