marseilles books

franniee

Hi all! :)

I just purchased and received the Noblet and the Tarot de la Rea and these are my first marseilles decks. :D Love the REA immensely - thanks fudugazi for the recommendation!! It is right up my alley! :laugh:

I plan on diving in - as i am known to do - but I would also love a book to refer to if I feel like it.... any recommendations?

thanks! :heart;
f

Abrac

The Authentic Tarot by Thomas Saunders is a pretty decent book. I don't agree with everything in it 100%, but it will definitely give you a lot to think about without being overly complicated. It's illustrated with both black & white and color pictures of the cards.

franniee

Thanks Abrac! I'll check it out! :)

mac22

franniee said:
Hi all! :)

I just purchased and received the Noblet and the Tarot de la Rea and these are my first marseilles decks. :D Love the REA immensely - thanks fudugazi for the recommendation!! It is right up my alley! :laugh:

I plan on diving in - as i am known to do - but I would also love a book to refer to if I feel like it.... any recommendations?

thanks! :heart;
f

I'd suggest _ Meditations on the Tarot_ by Anonymous, Hans Urs von Balthasar, and Robert Powell

Mac22

franniee

thank you mac22!!!!!! :cool3:

Sophie

I second Mac22 - but may I suggest you read it in stages, and when you are not likely to be distracted by the charming gurgles - or raging cries! - of your daughter? It's a dense book - immensely rewarding if you give it your attention.

Sadly there are few books in English on the Marseille. Lee Bursten wrote a good primer, but it comes with the Universal Marseille, you have to purchase the set (it's a good deck). Do you read Spanish? (I know you don't read French ;))

mac22

There is also:_Tarot Revelations_ by Joseph Campbell and Richard Roberts

Campbell's section is on the TdM Roberts section is on the RWS.

Mac22

franniee

Scion recommended the book with the Ls universal Marseilles.... but do I dare buy another deck??? Oh brother! })

Nope I do not read french but I can read spanish ~ it would just take me forever! :) And we know my time is not wholly my own anymore :D

Thank you all ~ I am going to check out all of the recommendations. :heart:
f

Sophie

for when you manage to bag some time

Two books in Spanish:

La Via del Tarot - Alejandro Jodorowski. I have it in French, but the original is in Spanish (he's Chilean). Fabulous book, idiosynchratic - that's Jodo for you. He turns everything he touches into a passionate adventure, but he's also thorough and reads amazingly well. He's very intimate with the Marseille. One of his great virtues is the time he spends on the minors, and the wealth of illustrations and spreads, and combinations, etc. It's worth getting the book for the minors and illustrations alone, even if you don't have time (yet) to read the whole. Here's an article about the book

El Libro de Oro, Encarna Sánchez and Daniel Rodés (the couple also made the wonderful Tarot de Marsella deck). It's a shorter book than Jodo's, and less exciting and imaginative, but a good start with Marseille. Here's the blurb from the editor's website.

Once you are familiar with your decks, Meditations on the Tarot will probably get you further than either these two. When you have the time to read it :D.

MikeTheAltarboy

I just ordered Meditations on the Tarot. :-D

I have to say, I've read Jodorowski's book up as far as the court cards, and it just seems a little whacky. The GD system makes more sense than his. :-D

Is Marteau's book in the public domain yet? Are we likely to see it on google books any time soon? I checked amazon, and it looks like *when* a copy goes through, it's in the vicinity of $150.

I'd like to check out Ombres & Lumieres du Tarot also - I've heard it's good?