Marseilles decks for study purposes

lark

HI Moonbow*
I've been reading your thread about Marseille decks for study.
Sounds like you have a nice collection.
If you EVER come across any Dodal reproduction decks anywhere on your side of the ocean PLEASE. PLEASE grab one for me too.
I'll be happy to pay double the price and any shipping!!!!!!
Kenji had some but I got in to late to get one.
I like the photo reproductions best.
A Dodal added to my Heron Conver would be perfect.
I have;
Heron Conver
Thunderbay deck-surprisingly nice deck for the money.
Fournier- this one is very nice and it's inexpensive
Hadar
Lo Scarbeo Marseille repo.~the only thing wrong with this one is the 6 of batons is missing so they made one up.
Some people get all out of joint about it but it's a beautiful deck and great card stock.

I would like to get a Grimaud too.
But not the one with the dark, dark blue color on the cards.
You can't make out any of the drawing underneath the dark blue.

The Carta Mundi with the Cupid on the box NOT the FOOL is a faithful redrawing of the 1701 Dodal but hard to find because USGames now goes with a different deck.
The one with the Fool on the box.
Amazon had the Cupid box pictured and I got all excited and ordered it and the Fool came instead so I sent it right back.
Guess I will print out on card stock the Majors of the Dodal from the site you came up with.
At least I'll have that.
Thanks!
I love Jean-Claud Flornay's majors Decks
If they don't cost a fortune I might go that route.
Majot Tom does he have a whole Dodal deck done now????
Well talked your ear off long enough, good luck with your search and think of me if you come across a dusty shelf full of 1701 Dodal repos.

Fulgour

Moonbow* said:
... getting back to my original question, do you have any advice or recommendation?
Marseille decks, the older ones, strike people as crude.
How is it that almost all other woodcarvings were done
so well, so intricately beautiful, but Tarot cards so badly?

I think it was to keep down the taxes, and to make the
cards look fanciful, less threatening to the establishment.

Alas, it is often either "love at first sight" or a long, long wait
before many people find a connection with these images...

A very good deck, clean and fresh, very well detailed:
Grimaud ~ Made in France
Ancien Tarot de Marseille
France Cartes
(French titles only ~ a plus!)

Moonbow

Thankyou Major Tom, Lark and Fulgour.. :D

This information and opinion is just what I have been looking for. I was originally going for decks that I liked but as you say, Tom, for study purposes that is really not relevant. At this stage I am more interested in the comparisons between the decks.

If I find a Duserre Dodal you can be sure I will be dancing around the streets naked.... :) and if I do... you must too Lark!

I didn't realise that Flornoy had a full 78 card deck out there yet, I can't see mention of it on his site, so any further information would be very helpful.

I may just get the Piatnik... one day, in order to have another deck to compare, although I agree that the colours seems even more limited.

Fulgour, I have been using mainly the Grimaud since getting it... even as preferance over the Hadar (which I still love) I like it for it's clear depictions and it seems to work well for me at the moment. The Heron Conver is very new to me so I haven't had much chance to read with it but it's a very nice size for me and I like the feel of it, like it's a 'gentle' deck, perhaps it's the colouring.

Fulgour

Moonbow* said:
I didn't realise that Flornoy had a full 78 card deck out there yet, I can't see mention of it on his site, so any further information would be very helpful.
I think this is still just "in the works" as yet...
Dodal, Conver, Grimaud: these are the ones.
Vieville is an odd duck, but worth having. :)

Moonbow

Has anyone seen the Thunder Bay deck here in the UK?

PS... I'm thinking about the odd duck as well now Fulgour. :)

ihcoyc

Fulgour said:
Marseille decks, the older ones, strike people as crude.
How is it that almost all other woodcarvings were done
so well, so intricately beautiful, but Tarot cards so badly?

I think it was to keep down the taxes, and to make the
cards look fanciful, less threatening to the establishment.

Compared to the makers of old French suited playing cards, the Marseilles woodcuts were works of art. These are really blocky and ugly.

I suspect it would be safer to say that the Marseilles deck was stylized and conventional.

Moonbow

That's an interesting site ihcoyc, but it doesn't look to me as though the design on playing cards has come a long way, in fact the ones designed by De la Rue are alot preferable to the modern ones around today - just my opinion.

Rusty Neon

Moonbow* said:
Has anyone seen the Thunder Bay deck here in the UK?

You can get the Thunder Bay deck through www.amazon.co.uk for 6 pounds 11 pence. It's called "The Tarot Set".

You can access that item on amazon by entering the following as search criteria:

TAROT SET LYLE

Moonbow

Thankyou Rusty

I think Amazon UK with be doing quite well out of me very soon.

(glad to see you are back in rusty armour too)