Marseilles Oracle (LoS)

MareSaturni

Le Fanu said:
:bugeyed: 70 Oracle decks! Blimey, that really disturbs the completist in me. Why did you have to show me that? I had no idea there were 70. When I said the complete set, I thought there were about 20 of them...

I know that Le Fanu, we suffer from the same problem :(
I wish i hadn't found this ebay page either, but i can't help it, i have to dig, dig, dig until i discover more than i can handle (or buy) and disappoint myself. :O

Le Fanu said:
Call me obsessive, but every day I pass the news stands here and scan all the papers and magazines hoping that the set is reissued! They first came out here in 2001. I missed them, and it's quite probable you got them from Argentina as the ones I have in this series - such as this Marseilles one - only have the titles in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. No English. There is, however, a LoS version of the Marseilles Oracle which has titles in these three languages plus English & German.

They really should reissue it! It's a great collection!

The funny thing is that the booklet for both decks are in English o_O. Go figure...

I think that there in Europe there are greater chances of these decks being released together with magazines again. I remember when i was in Italy, i bought my Sibilla della Zingara in a news stand! There were many decks that came with magazines, but since i only stayed there for a couple of weeks, i didn't manage to get many (they were always the same decks).

In Italy, selling decks in news stand seems to be an everyday thing...

heron

Can I join your gang, please?
Having just treated myself to the Scarabeo Gypsy Oracle Cards and the Mystical Lenormand (I'm sure I had a Blue Owl deck years ago, but seem to have got rid of it, and I know I sold on my Lenormand Tarot), I started chasing all over the internet for more info and pix and found the Art Deco Fortune Telling Cards from Piatnik, reviewed by Seaqueen on her blog - so cute! and then I stumbled across the Leidiger version of Kipper cards, so am really in dire need of oracle disenabling. Amazon.co.uk are offering the Oracle de Marseille, but I'm sure I saw a deck in the Labyrinth bookshop in Glastonbury & can't wait to get down there and check that it's as cheap as I remember it being.
Am I making sense?

heron

The Labyrinth bookshop minder wouldn't take my Mystic Dreamer Tarot & book as a swap for the "pre-owned" Marseille Oracle, so I had to part with £4 for it, then I popped into the Speaking Tree & found I could have bought it new there for £3!

Hey ho. They also tempted me for £2 with a very pretty Circus playing card deck, but I resisted (I already have a Pinocchio, which I love but never actually use for anything).

2dogs

It's just as well, the Mystic Dreamer is a very good Oracle deck and you should keep it.

heron

Just demonstrates the point made in the "Beautiful but unsatisfying(?) decks" thread, that cards one person can happily work with leave another person completely cold, I suppose.

I found the Mystic Dreamer Tarot to be quite pretty but irritating to the point where I can't read with it - the details are too small for my aged eyes to pick out, and I hate the way elements of the images are (to my mind lazily) re-used unchanged in other parts of a card or on other cards, most blatantly the couple from the 4 of Wands reappearing on the 10 of Pentacles, and that flock of birds!

2dogs

Yes, the cards have been printed very small and yellowish and details covered up by the border compared to the images on the artist's website, and I too had to check to see that couple was totally identical, but I find quite a few small details to work with and the ones that are too small to be made out do have the option of being seen as whatever I like at the time.

La Force

Marseille oracle cards

I didn't even know this deck existed, until yesterday when I walked into my metaphysical store, and there it was on the shelf, so I grabbed it. Then to my disappointment, there is very little info, and no reviews that I could find on this deck. all I found was 3 thread here on AT about. I sure would be interested in learning more about it.

Does anyone still use this deck, what methods have you been using with it. Do you read it like a lenormand style, or as typical oracle style??????

La Force

heron

I don't think I have ever seriously tried to read with the Marseille Oracle - yet! In fact, I couldn't at first when I read your post remember where in this house I had secreted my deck. Had to check the chests in the bottom of the wardrobe before I remembered the shelves in the guest bedroom where they live with a couple of other Oracle decks. Leafing through the cards, I noticed (I think for the first time) that the pictures on card 19 "Well-being" and card 32 "The Confirmation" are identical. Odd.

There's a little LWB, though, with two spreads and a meaning and a suggestion (to help memorize them) for each card. I shall leave them out on the table now, to await the next reading request that comes my way & see how they work. My normal procedure would be to read intuitively first, using 3 or 5 cards, and then check out the "list" meanings for anything I missed.

Thanks for the nudge.

La Force

Your welcome :)

Padma

I didn't even know this deck existed, until yesterday when I walked into my metaphysical store, and there it was on the shelf, so I grabbed it. Then to my disappointment, there is very little info, and no reviews that I could find on this deck. all I found was 3 thread here on AT about. I sure would be interested in learning more about it.

Does anyone still use this deck, what methods have you been using with it. Do you read it like a lenormand style, or as typical oracle style??????

La Force

La Force, can you grab one of those decks (Marseilles fortune teller) for me from your meta store next time you go, and mail it to me here in Edmonton? I can send you money via paypal - can you PM me, if that is doable...? I was just wondering how the heck I could get this deck!

:)