Medieval Scapini arrived today

kabang

TarotGarden!! And here I was fussing with Alibris... I'm slow in this thread...

Debra

The crucial test for whether you have the bad printing:

You pull out a card and your immediate reaction is, "What's wrong with this? Ick!"

It's really that simple.

Abrac

I'm not trying to find out if mine's a dud or not, it's quite nice. It would be good though if some facts could be established for those who are still looking.

There seems to be a consensus that the Switzerland ones are pretty nice and the Italy ones suck. There must be a Belgium version too but I haven't heard anything one way or the other about it.

Morwenna

Abrac said:
Mine's the deck & book set. The outer box says: "Deck Printed in Belgium, Book Printed in Canada." But my deck says "Box Printed in Switzerland" on the back and "Printed in Switzerland by AGMuller" on one end. It's one with the cutout on the front. I'm guessing this is another case of leftover stock (the deck) being used up first. Later sets probably have decks printed in Belgium.

Is the Belgium printing one of the crappy ones? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Actually, the box on mine says Switzerland and the wrapper inside had a label that said AGMuller, made in Belgium. I think the box said the box was printed in Switzerland. Anyway, I declare it the "good" deck! :D

kittiann

It was definitely the good one! Window box, said 'printed in Switzerland' on the top flap, and the colors were a bit metallic though certainly nothing that stands out. But nothing was fuzzy or blurry, and the cards certainly don't look muddy. So if anyone wants one, look on ebay US.. there are a few cheap ones there still even now :)

sapienza

I just got this deck out again. I have the older printing and the artwork is stunning. I really love the details and the slightly surreal feel that it has. I have never really spent much time seriously working with this deck and yet whenever I look through it I can't imagine why I don't use it more. I actually love the fact that it doesn't follow the RWS pattern. It's quite clear that the minors are based on Etteilla's meanings which is a refreshing change. I suppose that might be why it's not that popular. Maybe also because of the disappointing newer printing of the deck. It seems a shame to me.

Anyone out there use this deck a lot? I'd be interested to hear why people do or do not use it.

littlethings

It's funny this thread has been revived....I just got this deck from an amazon marketplace seller for $3......the shipping fee (3.99) was more than the deck! It was sold as used but it's still in the shrinkwrap. I was buying something else from them but checked to see if they had any tarot decks (does everyone else do this, too?! :) )Haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will do that soon. It's the one with the window box that says printed in Switzerland.

quintessence

You got a sweet deal, littlethings. When I use my deck in just the right light the images look 3-D, and the artwork has such class - it speaks in a quiet, cultured tone. It's a rich looking/feeling deck, and a nice deck for medieval faires, wine and cheese tasting parties, classical environments.

Haljadotter

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got my Scapini deck and wanted to share some insight. First of all, dont play with your tarot cards while eating. I had just looked at my deck, but had to get it out again to check what version it was and if the pictures were blurry. They weren't, but I managed to spill some food on the table and put my cards in it, sob. Luckily I just got a little food on the sides of the cards, you can hardly see it.

I got the deck with the "Art and Arcana" book, the card box says that the deck is printed in Italy. The other bigger box says that the deck is printed in Belgium and the book is printed in Canada. The deck is printed by US Games in 2005. The pictures are quite good and sharp and the deck is beautiful. I work at an esoteric bookstore and we have samples of all the decks we sell, I think the sample we have of the Scapini deck is the one printed in Switzerland. There's a different feel to the cards, the back of them is matte and the colors are great. The cards I have are shiny, a bit slippery and have a laminated feel to them. I wish I had gotten the Swiss edition, just for the feel of the cards, but I'm quite happy with the one I have aswell. It's not ugly, at all so I guess it's a new edition.

Morwenna

A tip to all those who love this deck but have trouble reading with it: get the book Art and Arcana. It explains a LOT, probably more than you want to know, but it will show that Scapini knew more about Tarot when he made this deck than most people realize! Decker, the author, is extremely knowledgeable and there is a lot of history and comparison in the book. And the book can be had separately; that's how I got mine, a good half year after getting my deck. There's a thread about this book over in Books & Media.