Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Moonbow

I think it helped to be moving along with him at the time, I felt as though we were evolving together. I can see how reading the whole thread in retrospect would involve a whole new commitment in staying with him. Still, I think it's worth putting in the hours, you're right though, it's pretty cerebral.

Richard

I admire and respect Mel's method and his presentation of it. But it's too complicated for me. I am a bear of little brain. :) I need simpler methods.
Mel's approach appears to be very slick, self-consistent, and elegant. It has a certain amount of "WOW!" appeal, at least superficially, but that doesn't make it the only way to go.

Richard

Pips-as-trumps requires little more than memorizing the first 10 trumps and the properties of the 4 suits. It not only works, but it works beautifully, and without any brain-strain. I'm not even remotely tempted to try any other method.

prudence

I used Mel's method for at least a year and a half if not two years in a very focused way....and I must say yes, it is a bit complex. But I did not even use every minute aspect of his system and still managed to get some of the most amazing and unbelievably predictive readings I have ever had. Ever. I picked and chose what parts I would use, here and there, and tried very hard to just let it flow, some cards in a spread I would use more of his system and some cards I used only the "nickname" as he called it.

And seriously, it was so amazing and so intricate and so perfect. I think Mel is one of those "genius in our midst" type's of people, he is generally very jovial and jokester-ish most of the time, but he has such a sense of numbers, of history, of symbolism and myth....he is such an incredible teacher.

I have since gone back to RWS these last few years, but only because his system freaked me out just a bit, in how it could truly hit the nail on the head....but also because yes, it is a lot of work. It is. It is not just looking at scenic images and guessing what is being conveyed, it does take some extra mental exertion.

I do plan on going back to it because never in my life have I found a system that works so well.... I am just kind of having a bit of a break from that level of mental stretching. I love knowing that it is still there waiting for me to come back and delve into its breathtaking depths.

Thank you, Mel!!!!!!

Melanchollic

It is amazing to see how many views this thread has gotten over the past few years. And how it still pops up now and again. I'm happy to have contributed a little something to the diverse and intriguing blueberry landscape that is Aeclectic Tarot Forum. There does however, seem to be some SERIOUS misunderstandings and misconceptions about what the "Ol' Fashioned" is really all about…

It isn't about precision,

or complexity…

It isn't about historical relevancy,

or rational systems…

It isn't about tradition,

or innovation...

It isn't about being anti-Waite,

or anti-Crowley…

It isn't about detractors,

or admirers...

It isn't about being cerebral,

or not...

It isn't about proving myself,

or giving to others...

It isn't about "this method",

or "that method"...

It isn't about Numbers,

Humours,

Temperaments,

or Dignities…

It isn't about Pips,

Courts,

or Trumps…

Heck, it isn't even about TAROT!!!

[size=+1]IT'S[/size]

[size=+2]ALL[/size]

[size=+3]ABOUT[/size]

[size=+4]THE BAKED GOODS!!!!! [/size]

pecan_pie.jpg

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :love:

prudence

I :heart: you, Mel.

eta~ I should have mentioned why I heart Mel, other than the Pips and Baked goods deal, this last post from Mel is interesting and funny and makes sense whether you read it forward or backward, start at the "Heck it isn't even about tarot!!" part. (and yes, I did read it both ways)

frelkins

Mel!!!

OMG are you back? I still often use this method with the astro spread & passing with the Minkie. Everyone loves it!

Where have you been? We have missed you so & hope you'll be around more. Are you still in Japan? How's the novel? Quite a few of the old thread peeps have left AT and are now on Facebook.

Hope to see you back there too.

Best wishes. :) Have some macaroons filled with raspberry & dark chocolate ganache. ;)

Melanchollic

?Prudence, backwards posts read always you do

:heart:

frelkins

I admire and respect Mel's method and his presentation of it. But it's too complicated for me. I am a bear of little brain. :) I need simpler methods.

I see how it looks really complex if you have to follow it through the thread, but in fact the practice is not difficult at all. You just have to have it organized better and it helps to have someone who knows how to do it walk you through your first one. :D

Best wishes.