Most Under-rated Decks?

greatdane

Anyone read a luke warm or bad review of a deck, just to take a look anyway and decide it was really under-rated, at least in your opinion (which is the only one we ultimately have!)?

photokat

One of my favorite topics - hopefully my reply is not OT since you asked :

greatdane said:
Anyone read a luke warm or bad review of a deck, just to take a look anyway and decide it was really under-rated, at least in your opinion (which is the only one we ultimately have!)?

and my list includes decks that not many people know of so I don't know if this response is appropriate.

My personal list of underrated decks or decks that haven't received much attention or appreciation:

#1: J.K. Waite by Seigan Nakajima
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/w-decks/waitejkcards.gif

#2: Keishobou Tarot by Gaichi Muramatsu
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/s-decks/secretcards.gif (comes up under "Secret Tarot")

#3: Royal Fez
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/r-decks/royalfezcards.gif

#4: Tarocchi di Mariaelisa Leboroni
http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique...+Tarot+-+I+Tarocchi+di+Mariaelisa&pageenter=0

#5 : Light and Shadow (Brilliant Mass Market Deck ... $10 well spent!)
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/l-decks/lightshadowcards.gif

#6: Ancient Prophecy (Whacky RWS Clone)
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/a-decks/ancientprophesycards.gif

These come to mind at first thought!

greatdane

Thank you, Photokat!

I know about the collection you have and it seems fitting you would be the first to post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Maybe this thread will help many of us see decks we may not have taken a second look at.

Namaste,
GD

canid

Moon Garden. It's really not all about butterflies, flowers & dragonflies.

rachelcat

I second the Light and Shadow. It's amazing!

I really like the Universal Fantasy, which you don't hear much about around here. I've been tempted to recommend it to beginners, but it's SO not RWS.

And, I was just in Borders, and I noticed illustrations from the Triple Goddess Tarot are on the covers of current issues of both Sage Woman and Mountain Astrologer (Sun)! So SOMEONE likes it!

ETA: The one on Sage Woman is "Infinite Bliss," extra card number 22 in the Triple Goddess deck.

photokat

greatdane said:
Maybe this thread will help many of us see decks we may not have taken a second look at.

Namaste,
GD

I think the general issue my reply to this topic is that some of the decks I listed are not much known outside of the (what I would call) "obsessive" collector circles.

Le Fanu

Not via reviews or anything (and I know this subject has come up before) but I never trust reviews and I don't trust tarot reviews either. I might trust an AT tarot review if I know I share the same tastes as the writer. But generally the reviews here on AT are positive. I cannot think of a review here that slates a deck, simply because people write these things in their spare time and they're hardly going to waste time on a deck they don't like.

Some of the tarot pasages ones are more negative, between the lines, but quite often a negatively reviewed deck is; "not what I understand by tarot", i.e RWS, therefore = unreadable.

So, pinch of salt and all that.

However, I'm with photokat; Light & Shadow :thumbsup:

Etruscan (definitely)

and one I was reflecting on today; the Russian Tarot of St Petersburg. In print for almost 20 years and it is hardly ever mentioned as a workhorse, go-to deck. It really is beautiful.

There are others.

greatdane

Even better, Photokat!

For those of us who are not collectors, it's nice to read about decks that aren't as widely touted as some of the more popular ones. That's where beginners like me really enjoy reading about the thoughts of experienced collectors like you and others! Broadens one's horizons!

GD

MareSaturni

Pfft.... MANY!

In fact, I seem to have a thing for underrated decks!

One of my favorite decks for a loooong time was the 007 Tarot of the Witches, which is considered by many ATers "the ugliest deck EVER!". But I love this deck - the colors, the surrealistic art... the way the characters of the Major Arcana always seem to be smiling, and hiding a secret... frankly, it totally kicks the @$$ of some beloved monstrositi--- I mean, decks like the Deviant Moon Tarot.

Yes, I do find the Deviant Moon horrible, but this is my opinion combined with a joke, and not an attack against the fans of this deck.

Another deck I adore but hardly ever see any fans is The Grail Tarot. First, because the copy I own was given to me by a very special someone. Second - it's such an awesome deck, and the frieze-like art was a great idea. And it comes with a very nice book. I love using this deck to read for myself, and it always gives me insightful readings.

The Oracle Tarot is a fairly nice deck, specially to use in one of those girls-only sleep overs, lol! It's underrated, probably because it doesn't have the court cards, but still a very nice and colorful deck. I have used it to read for some friends and found out that, while the tarot community has contempt for it, the people (specially women, as this is a very girly deck) who are not into tarot but feel curious usually like it. They find the message easy to understand and not so new-agey, which can be appealing.

Now let me prepare for the rotten tomatoes... *clears throat*... the last underrated deck I remember is the Titania's Star Tarot. Please folks, do control your retching, lol! I know that many people can barely stand the name "Titania Hardie", and while I'm no huge fan of hers, I do enjoy both her decks (the other is the Titania's Fortune Cards). Her tarot deck looks boring, and the book has those fortune-tellerish meanings that annoy many people.
BUT... I like it. I love the colors, I love the look of the cards. I love their small size, and I enjoy handling them. And I did try to read using the meanings of her book ONLY, and found out they are not as poorly conceived as we may believe (they were very accurate in the context I used!). I had lots of fun with this deck!
Not everything that stinks is cr*p, sometimes it's an interesting thing hidden in an unpleasant package...

greatdane

Thank you, Le Fanu

You're very right about reviews and, besides, tarot is SO subjective that what might be heinous to one could be heaven to another. That's why reading about under-mentioned, but often, great decks is such a plus. There are sooo many decks out there and, when one is new, it can be hard to zero in on some of the lesser known decks.

Keep the suggestions coming please!

GD