Most Under-rated Decks?

Metafizzypop

The Leonardo Da Vinci Tarot. I don't why this deck hardly gets any discussion. it's quite an elegant work. And the kit comes with a book by Mark McElroy that gives some real thought-provoking descriptions of the cards. One of my faves (but everything I own is one of my faves, lol).

Freddie

I still luv 'Oswald Wirth' by US Games. It is scorned and disliked here, but for some reason I really like it, even more than when I first got it.

All good choices here...Fez is awesome too!!!

Freddie

Dusk Till Dawn

I like the Original Magical Forest, the Chinese Version somehow reads better for me. Also the Ator I use quite often.

Libra8ca

Marina said:
Titania's Star Tarot.
BUT... I like it. I love the colors, I love the look of the cards. I love their small size, and I enjoy handling them. And I did try to read using the meanings of her book ONLY, and found out they are not as poorly conceived as we may believe (they were very accurate in the context I used!). I had lots of fun with this deck!
I agree that Titania's Star Tarot is an interesting and underrated deck. The use of very basic colors and shapes makes it different and stimulates the intuition by having to listen more to your inner voice. I also love the colors in this deck.

WyrdRaven

One of my personal favorites is the Lars Kristian Holmsen Tarot. I love how it reads, and it has a surrealistic quality that reminds me of another one of my favorites, the Tarot of the Witches (Hall). I will chime in and agree with other posters about how cool the Triple Goddess, J.K. Waite, and Etruscan are! I don't have the JKW but it is one I'm seriously craving in the worst way!

greatdane

I'm clicking like crazy!

Checking out all these decks. Some I think I've seen, but others are new to me. I hope others are enjoying visiting or revisiting some forgotten decks too.

Schnee

I know it's not fancy and terribly interesting and all that but, where is the love for the Aquarian Tarot?

I think it may have been overused at some point and caused a sort of instinctive reaction ("not this deck again!") but I really like the contemplative feeling that emanates from it, the soft colours and it's pretty much a RWS clone so it's great for starters like me..

I think another trouble might be that it's Aquarian. If I remember well, the booklet started with something like "In this age of Aquarius..". I guess Tarot enthusiasts might not like this association of 60's hippie-spiritualism-overload with the seriousness of the subject matter..
I'm biased, my mother's a good "Age of Aquarius" woman so I guess it's in the genes, but I digress..

greatdane

Hmmm Schnee

I just checked out the New Palladini, which is I think kind of a brighter colored remake? Thanks for adding the Aquarian, I think I will have to go compare scans between that one and the newer one.

MareSaturni

Schnee said:
I know it's not fancy and terribly interesting and all that but, where is the love for the Aquarian Tarot?

I think it may have been overused at some point and caused a sort of instinctive reaction ("not this deck again!") but I really like the contemplative feeling that emanates from it, the soft colours and it's pretty much a RWS clone so it's great for starters like me..

I agree. Many - and I mean, MANY - readers started with the Aquarian, so I suppose that it's sudden abandonment was due to overusing it. But it's an eternal deck, and will soon find it's place back to the top again ;)

Something similar happens to the Enchanted Tarot (and the Zerner-Farber) - so many people started reading with that is seems most cannot stand it anymore. But it's a great deck - one of my favorites, because it was my first!

Libra8ca said:
I agree that Titania's Star Tarot is an interesting and underrated deck. The use of very basic colors and shapes makes it different and stimulates the intuition by having to listen more to your inner voice. I also love the colors in this deck.

Exactly! I love the colors and the basic shapes! It's a nice deck, you don't have to agree with Titania Hardie to enjoy it!

photokat

Freddie said:
I still luv 'Oswald Wirth' by US Games.

YES! YES! YES!
How could I not add that to my little list?
But thankfully, there's Freddie.
Right?