My Journey to Pro

Marcia959

I'm working towards becoming a professional reader and thought I would post my experiences getting there here. Getting feedback from the seasoned pros out there is really important to me (don't want to be Miss 10 of Wands!!).

I started in the summer (in the trek from amateur to pro, please see post #31 clarifying my background) by doing some intense study on my own, absorbing some books that feel really helpful, like the Tarot for the Apprentice/Journeyman/Master series, 78 Degrees of Wisdom, 21 Ways, Tarot Card Combinations and Learning Reversals, among many others. I read them straight through and go back to them for refreshers.

I also indulged by expanding my collection of decks, both tarot and other, antique and new, to study the archetypes and feed my subconscious, expand my awareness.

Of course I joined AT and have found the advice and spreads and experiences here extremely valuable. I sought other sources on the web for information.

I do a daily draw and journal it with the focus on my goal. Some of the things I've read for me are, don't leap in before you are ready (sound advice), and also that I've spent a lot of time focusing on the connection between the spiritual and the mundane but it's time to focus on the practical business side of things.

A local bookstore is interested in having me read and gave me some advice on next steps for the license, etc. So now I'm doing the legwork to find out the business license, background check, expenses for those things, timing for those things, etc needed to be a legitimate business instead of the flim-flam scammers who give readers a bad name. And, perhaps most important in my "look before you leap" approach, I haven't quit my day job!!

I welcome your feedback since it's so much easier to learn from the mistakes of others =) and of course any encouragements, warnings or even readings are gratefully accepted!

Moderators, if this is not the right spot to post this, please move this post to the right place. Thanks! And more as I progress.

afrosaxon

Hello Marcia,

Congrats on taking the steps to reading as a professional!

You certainly seem to be very good on the learning end, and taking the practical steps toward setting up a business. That's good.

But perhaps the most pressing question right now is: have you read for others?

This can be divided into two parts:

--have you read for others, period (which includes readings here in the Reading Exchange, perhaps with Freetarotreadings or something like that )

--have you read for others in person/face to face (friends, neighbors, in a cafe)?

Reading for yourself and learning the card meanings are fine, but putting them into practice by actually interpreting the cards for others are a whole 'nother ball game...and reading for people in person (when you don't have the time to sit back and examine the cards at your leisure) is something else again.

Just my $.02.

T.

Baroli

afrosaxon said:

--have you read for others, period (which includes readings here in the Reading Exchange, perhaps with Freetarotreadings or something like that )

--have you read for others in person/face to face (friends, neighbors, in a cafe)?

Reading for yourself and learning the card meanings are fine, but putting them into practice by actually interpreting the cards for others are a whole 'nother ball game...and reading for people in person (when you don't have the time to sit back and examine the cards at your leisure) is something else again.

Amen. :)

Marcia959

afrosaxon said:
Hello Marcia,

T.

I guess I did leave out some of the autobiography! Yes, I have, for years read for friends and also I set up a "free readings" table at Halloween in front of my house for the parents of the trick or treaters. Most always it has been face to face. I've been exercising a little in the AT forum too just a little. I agree, there's a BIG difference between learning and doing.

Umbrae

Since you asked….

First off, put the books down. Think of it this way, you can read books about movies, or actually go see movies. Same same.

The number of books that one can buy, that really deal with making the jump from amateur to professional can be counted on one hand – with three fingers left over.

Reading for strangers is way different than reading for friends & family (folks you know) or reading for trick-or-treat’ers.

Reading professionally carries with it some issues you won’t find in books, with friends, or ‘just for fun’ trick-or-treat’ers.

First off, a stranger comes over, sits down, and pays you.

They give you money.

That changes everything.

Second – you don’t know the backstory (and for gawd’s sake don’t ask – then you’re not reading, you’re giving an opinion), and they may not tell you the backstory; “I want a reading on my career” You have no idea where in the reading cycle they are.

Have you focused on one deck to the point where you know it in your sleep?

Have you journaled your thoughts about the card images or meanings as supplied by ‘expert’ authors?

Are you prepared to read for victims and perpetrators (of horrendous acts) alike? And pass no judgment upon either?

Reading Tarot professionally has traps that other professions do not have. It looks cute and fun on the outside. But sooner or later you’re gonna look up from the cards and see the soul behind the eyes and you’re going to see monsters and angels. Are you really really ready for this?

Are you really prepared?

I suggest reading for strangers for free for a time, before you commit too much money and time into it.

Marcia959

Umbrae said:
Since you asked….

First off, put the books down. Think of it this way, you can read books about movies, or actually go see movies. Same same.

The number of books that one can buy, that really deal with making the jump from amateur to professional can be counted on one hand – with three fingers left over.

Reading for strangers is way different than reading for friends & family (folks you know) or reading for trick-or-treat’ers.

Reading professionally carries with it some issues you won’t find in books, with friends, or ‘just for fun’ trick-or-treat’ers.

First off, a stranger comes over, sits down, and pays you.

They give you money.

That changes everything.

Second – you don’t know the backstory (and for gawd’s sake don’t ask – then you’re not reading, you’re giving an opinion), and they may not tell you the backstory; “I want a reading on my career” You have no idea where in the reading cycle they are.

Have you focused on one deck to the point where you know it in your sleep?

Have you journaled your thoughts about the card images or meanings as supplied by ‘expert’ authors?

Are you prepared to read for victims and perpetrators (of horrendous acts) alike? And pass no judgment upon either?

Reading Tarot professionally has traps that other professions do not have. It looks cute and fun on the outside. But sooner or later you’re gonna look up from the cards and see the soul behind the eyes and you’re going to see monsters and angels. Are you really really ready for this?

Are you really prepared?

I suggest reading for strangers for free for a time, before you commit too much money and time into it.

That's why I say, I am still learning! I think I always will be. I don't think of it as a party trick or just for fun (so thank goodness for that at least). And I do realize that behind politeness and civilization is the animal. I'm willing to take the next step, willing to become ready, and ready to do the work that it takes. Your advice is so valuable.

At some point, I have to take a step beyond friends and family, beyond freebies at Halloween, beyond "book-larnin'" and see if it's right. I may sound younger and more foolish than I am, simply because I'm an optimist and an extravert, but I'm also an intuitive. I'm serious about this, no matter how upbeat I sound. I know I need experience and the only way to get it is to do it. Part of the issue is that in my jurisdiction, I can't read for free from strangers without the business license and background check; so I'm going to go ahead with that part to get just the experience you suggest.

Thank you and please don't stop with the frank advice. That's why I posted this.

Sheri

I think it's great that you have a local venue interested in having you read there! Sometimes that's half the battle.

Volunteer for community/charity functions as an "activity" for people to do while they are there and read for free (or accept donations for the charity you are there for). Hand out certificates for discounts on subsequent readings and/or business cards if you think this is something you want to do professionally. Don't hand anything out if you don't know. Reading at charity events for free is a great way to read for strangers and figure out if it's really something you want to do or not.

I think it's pretty cool you read for trick-or-treaters for Halloween! We don't get them anymore, or I would do that too!

:love: Sheri

Lysh

Good Luck

I cannot say I have any advice, since I have not broached reading on a professional level yet, but I wanted to say good luck! I feel it takes A LOT of inner confidence and trust in your intuitive self to read for strangers. (Which I need to work on!) But I am enjoying this thread thus far, from someone who may go down this path one day. I hope you continue to share your journey as you progress.

Marcia959

Starting The Paperwork

This week I'm going to start the paperwork process so I can follow Umbrae's and everyone else's advice to get out there and read. Even to do freebies where I am I have to get a background check and since I'm going to that trouble, I will get the business license, too.

I'm going to take a vacation day this week to run to the various officials to get paperwork, etc. I have gobs of vacation this year since I didn't take it all last year. (Most important, not quitting that day job!! The new adventure is fine and I've been bitten by the critter once or twice, but stepping off that cliff or ignoring the croc with the big teeth is not where I want to go with this.)

I was a little nervous when I made my initial phonecalls to find out what steps I needed to take locally. I was afraid I might get a bad reaction (and rehearsed a little for that just in case). Everyone was helpful and one municipal policy department representative sounded pleased that I was interested in taking the right steps.

The best news is that these initial necessities don't seem to be breaking the bank. I knew there was something else good about that day job! The background check can be anywhere from the $50-$150 USD range; the business license itself is in the $35-$60 USD range. Obviously, those are my local prices and they must vary widely across jurisdictions.