My Journey to Pro

Grizabella

In your preparations for going pro, and as an invaluable part of all your studies, I suggest you check out the CD's or MP3 of The Process. That way, you're going to be getting the wisdom Dan Pelletier has to offer and it won't seem the least bit confrontational. If you can afford that investment, you'll be very glad you did and I think it will be something you turn to time and time again for years even after you've gone pro. :)

I don't know where you are in California, but in winter, starting in November and ending in March, if you want an excellent place to go do some readings for a very, very appreciative audience, go to the winter gathering at Quartzsite, AZ if you live close enough to drive over there. I absolutely LOVE that gathering. It's a fantastic place to get spread cloths, crystals, and tons of other stuff at cut rate prices, too. I wish I could go again but probably won't ever get to again. I know you won't need any kind of license there. Just roam around with your cards and I'll bet you find lots of people who'd love a reading and would even barter for it. :D I guess it's about time for the gathering to be over, though. Just a thought if you live down there close enough to drive over.

Logiatrix

Marcia959 said:
...I am still learning. I am. I always will be.
I agree with you. Such a perspective, IMO, is most important. Personally, if I ever stop thinking that way, then that is when I am truly ignorant.;)

What was it like starting out? What did you wish you'd known then that you know now? Do you think there's just one path to getting there or do you think each person has to take their own path? Do you have friends in the professional community?

Tell me more. Thanks again, sincerely.
Starting out, I was obsessively, voraciously hungry to learn everything TAROT. Then I found AT and also caught the collecting bug. It was just me and AT for a while. What I wish I knew then (that I know now) is that there is no such thing as The Perfect Deck. Or, rather, the real "perfect deck" is simply the one (or few:D) into which you have invested tons of time and practice learning inside-and-out.

When I finally figured that out, I started to read for strangers where I worked (a college), and then at a couple of coffee venues, with a tip jar. Then came parties (good money) and psychic faires (good professional experience). Of course, there are as many paths to reading exceptional tarot as there are readers. I say "reading exceptional tarot", as opposed to "reading professionally", because there are many here who read well enough to be paid for their tarot ability, but choose not to for numerous reasons. That choice is simply another path.

As for your last question, I have several friends in the professional community now, since I have chosen to read professionally and networked accordingly. I made friends as I strategized venues in which to offer my readings, and those connections expanded from there.

In my experience, just getting out with your cards is the key. Just go and try.:thumbsup:

firemaiden

Perhaps Marcia, you ought to give us a better idea of exactly what your background is. The impression I got from your opening post, is you just starting learning tarot from a bunch of books, and now you want a business license to read professionally. If indeed, your tarot history dates to this summer, that sounds a bit like reckless endangerment of self and others.
I started in the summer by doing some intense study on my own, absorbing some books that feel really helpful, like the Tarot for the Apprentice/Journeyman/Master series, 78 Degrees of Wisdom, 21 Ways, Tarot Card Combinations and Learning Reversals, among many others. I read them straight through and go back to them for refreshers.
However, perhaps we misread your opening post. Perhaps what you meant was that you have actually been reading for others for many many years, and have quite a bit of experience, but you are only now buckling down to read a pile of books for added input; if that's so, well that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Personally I find it highly bizarre that a reader can get a business license to read tarot. Is tarot a business like selling fish? (since we were on the subject) -- or is it an artform, with 33% knowledge base, and 67% creative wiggle room? And if *The Invisible* participates in the process, aka, The Hand of God, or Divine Inspiration, or Channelling or Psychic Energies, or Visitations from the Undead, a license seems at best derisory, and at worst, fraudulent, I mean what piece of paper could possibly bestow the power of truth on a reader?

And yet, there are naive, troubled, vulnerable people who might see such a piece of paper, and suppose it did guarantee truth, and give reason to the reader.

I would be very surprised if any of the readers on this site had such a license. Not the serious tarot readers.

On the other hand, there are those tarot reading places one sees from the street, always the top floor of some degraded building. Always there is a tarot card in the window, and a sign of a palm. I have never ventured into such a place. Are these the places that brandish licenses, I wonder? It gets me to thinking what must one do to get such a license... perhaps it stipulates they must not charge more than $350 to clean a black aura...

Logiatrix

firemaiden said:
Personally I find it highly bizarre that a reader can get a business license to read tarot. Is tarot a business like selling fish? (since we were on the subject) -- or is it an artform, with 33% knowledge base, and 67% creative wiggle room? And if *The Invisible* participates in the process, aka, The Hand of God, or Divine Inspiration, or Channelling or Psychic Energies, or Visitations from the Undead, a license seems at best derisory, and at worst, fraudulent, I mean what piece of paper could possibly bestow the power of truth on a reader?

And yet, there are naive, troubled, vulnerable people who might see such a piece of paper, and suppose it did guarantee truth, and give reason to the reader.

I would be very surprised if any of the readers on this site had such a license. Not the serious tarot readers.

On the other hand, there are those tarot reading places one sees from the street, always the top floor of some degraded building. Always there is a tarot card in the window, and a sign of a palm. I have never ventured into such a place. Are these the places that brandish licenses, I wonder? It gets me to thinking what must one do to get such a license... perhaps it stipulates they must not charge more than $350 to clean a black aura...
There are a couple of cities here in the Valley of the Sun (Metro Phoenix) that require readers to be licensed if they want to take money in exchange for their service. It is also required if one is to advertise fortunetelling-type services for demonstration or fundraising and so on. In other words, I found out I couldn't even hand out business cards offering FREE readings.:neutral:

I don't know about other locations, but here it just depends on the city as to whether a "fortunetelling" license/ordinance is strongly enforced. Mesa (where I live), for example, is pretty strict; it's an historically Mormon community with a church on almost every corner. I've nothing at all against lots of churches or Mormons, but I'm not exactly doing readings at the local diner, either. I prefer to cross city lines with my tarot cards.:)

firemaiden

I wonder what the licensing process is like. I mean... is it just a non-specific business license... or does it regulate something?

Logiatrix

firemaiden said:
I wonder what the licensing process is like. I mean... is it just a non-specific business license... or does it regulate something?
Basically (for Mesa, AZ), you'd need $300 and the application. It asks for references, residential history, employment info, arrests/convictions, citizenship...I think that's it. Very similar to a vendor license (like a friend filed for running an ice cream truck), if I recall correctly. Oh, and there's a background check. But not much to do with "Are you another Miss Cleo?" or "Do you actually care about your clients?":(

Nevermind about that, just give us $300.:rolleyes:

EDITED TO ADD: To answer your question, though, FM - it is called a fortunetelling license application. So, it's not a general business license...but I don't know what it is intended to regulate.*shrug*

And, in keeping with the original topic, I think such a thing is very premature for someone just getting started. That would definitely be putting the Chariot before the horse, if one hasn't yet put much time in face-to-face public readings with "strangers" and such.:)

Alissa

Reading this thread, honestly... there's no advice we can give you. Experience must teach you the lessons you wish to gain, and maybe that's why some of the experienced readers have nothing more to offer than, "Go read for people."

It really is a qualitative difference when you are reading for a client, versus reading for friends/family/self. It is a major responsibility, and one that unfortunately some readers never consider. That may be why you are hearing so much here about it instead of more practical advice like, "Have your business licence in place prior to practicing."

My words, in a reading, have lead people to get divorced, to sell their business, to change careers, to do many very drastic changes in their lives. I was contacted about restraining orders, I've had some scary and some thrilling adventures along the way. It is a lot to consider when you really realize how deeply we effect those we read for. They can change their life by the words you tell them... even the ones who claim not to believe in "this kinda stuff." They listen, and they remember what we've said... long after we ourselves have forgotten the reading.

That onus will be yours to bear, as it is for each and every reader in the public eye. The best way to get used to it is to begin reading for strangers. It can be incredibly rewarding as well, but it is humbling.

I wish you much luck on your Tarot path, and thank you for sharing your Light with others and with us....

Umbrae

At no time has anybody punched you in the nose, tried to dissuade you, called you an idiot, or made fun of you…none of this. At no time have you been denigrated, insulted, or told that you could not read.

You’ve been advised:

1) Take it slow.

2) Read for free for many strangers to get experience before taking money.

3) You do not need a license anywhere in the State of California to read for free

4) Paying the ‘Man’ (government) to read for free is a waste of money.

afrosaxon

Marcia959 said:
I do have some experience, just not professional experience. I know I need more experience. Why else would I post this? Why else would I say, I am still learning. I am. I always will be.

Your learning is not the issue. We're all still learning, whether we've been reading for one year or 50 years, whether we rake in hundreds of dollars a week or we read in exchange for a new deck or some crystals. And we understand that.

Marcia959 said:
If every apprentice were met with a punch in the snoot when they tried to take their first steps, think you'd ever have done this?

If they really wanted it, they would--and they wouldn't feel the need to justify themselves. And that's the purpose of being an apprentice: starting out at the lowest level, to see if you have the fortitude to make it to the top (or as close to it as possible), and gaining the skills necessary to rise.

Marcia959 said:
Or is it a good thing that I'm pushing back, saying that I really do want this? And that I really want input?

Only you can determine if a pushback is good for you or now.

Pushing back, as you put it, is coming off to me as extreme defense that is a bit irritating, as if you know it all and we can't possibly know you or your circumstances, therefore implying that we are speaking on things that we do not know; especially since you came to us so-called professionals for advice and input that you, in your relatively limited experience, do not have.

Yes, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, or how you came to tarot. I haven't lived in California for years and when I did read in San Diego, it was in a store. So I don't know what the laws are there. However, there are people here who have lived (and still do live) in California, and are professional readers there for money; they may know some things that you don't. And the advice that you ask for can go across the board, regardless of life experiences, backgrounds, and geographic location.

Marcia959 said:
I do want it. I honestly didn't expect to outrage the professional community or at least a few. In fact, I'm really kind of amazed, especially since I think of myself as a well-meaning reasonable human being.

Who's outraged? The written word (especially on a message board) doesn't always translate correctly. And while I can't speak for everyone in this thread, I will simply say that I'm not outraged. Concerned, yes. Outraged? Nope. Don't have the time or energy for it; it's your life and profession.

"Constructive criticism" is in the eye of the beholder, it seems--and it's not always pleasant. But the point of constructive criticism is to point out specific areas from which you can grow--if you want to grow. Not everyone can handle it.

Yes, people (myself included) will applaud your decision to go pro and encourage you to go out there and do that, to the best of your ability and for the greater good (first, do no harm and all that). But there are also other professionals--those who read for money and those who don't--who are going to warn you about the potential pitfalls of reading professionally. It's not all 10 of Cups and The Sun (well, it is, but in a different way). :D And this is not to insinuate that you are a poodle, a cat, or any other domesticated animal who relies on an external hand to house and feed them, with little effort on their part except to sit and look cute; feedback is what you allegedly wanted but, like a lot of newbies on here, you start crying when it's given to you real.

Marcia959 said:
What do you think other newbies (to PROFESSIONAL reading) would think after reading this? Hey, don't say anything because they will tell you you're an idiot? They'll make fun of you in front of the rest of the professional community? You guys treat your clients this way? Or do you, as Nisaba noted, think of a way to communicate it so that the message is heard and understood with choice still at the center?

I'm usually known for ripping newbies a new one on AT, so most of them won't ask me anything. :laugh: I don't do it to get a thrill (well...maybe a small one ;)); I do it because I want to see what they're made of, and how badly they want to be a tarot reader (and not someone who just reads the cards--there is a difference). Even though I am usually blunt, sometimes I'm extra blunt (and borderline rude) on purpose. And when they get up in arms and start whining as the smallest whiff of censure--kind of like you're doing--it makes me wonder if they have the backbone to take their reading skills beyond the entertainment/fun level and/or Reading Exchange, into the professional realm. What are you going to do when a client is in your face, running an emotional gamut because of what you saw or didn't see? It can be scary, and worse than any slight you've received on a message board.

Ah, clients...those that treat clients "this way" :rolleyes: don't usually last long. But those who are honest with their clients (and clients can sense this, even when they don't want to hear what the reader is seeing in the cards) and have a viewpoint similar to Nisaba's, go the distance.

Marcia959 said:
What was it like starting out? What did you wish you'd known then that you know now? Do you think there's just one path to getting there or do you think each person has to take their own path? Do you have friends in the professional community?

Starting out was filled with apprehension, doubt, and gladness when a client told you you hit it on the head, or when the cards started clicking in combinations, or when you had that intuitive leap that may have been contrary to what the card(s)'s traditional meaning was, but which was more relevant to the querent's life. I wish I'd known that everyone doesn't have to read with RWS and that it didn't make me any less of a reader if I didn't use it. And titles of Grandmaster, etc. were sometimes just that--titles, and they weren't any better a person or reader than me because of that. Give them the respect due their accomplishments, and keep it moving.

There's never just one path in tarot, which is why we all have uniquely personalized experiences and outlooks. It will take some time, but yours is there if you let it find you.

And yes, I have friends and acquaintances in the professional community; we tend to stick together overall, especially in places where tarot or any divination is not as accepted (like the deep South). We exchange ideas, processes (ha!), and usually just like each other as people.

Just my $.02.

T.

Marcia959

Thanks for your $.02! Those pennies add up. How about I won't mind if a couple of you are the resident meanies if you don't mind if I stick around and be optimistic? I'm rather relentlessly optimistic and it's utterly true, I've made up my mind to try, to explore, to seek and even to ask for feedback that isn't welcoming in its delivery but obviously well meant in its message.

Don't mean to sound like I'm whining here. My apologies for irritating anyone, certainly not my intent. This post was to make the process "out loud" so you get what I'm thinking as well as what you're thinking. I think that's part of the journey too.

Please don't stop with the advice, even if I bug the snot out of you.