Mystic Faerie Tarot

Sophie

Wouldn't want you to feel ill reading tarot, Em - that's not what it's for ;)

I like it on scans, but I was also surprised at the depth Gregory found in there.

I must say - the more I go, the lighter I like my decks - I don't see lightness and depth as being mutually exclusive...but then my masters have been Taoists and Rabbis, so that's hardly surprising.

It's a different kind of fairy energy to the one I am used to - to me, growing up in a French-speaking culture, fairies are grand and rather impressive beings, they can be frightening, or they can be kind. The word "Fée" in French - which translates as fairy - was originally an adjective meaning fey, in the sense of magical and powerful. I feel that kind of energy in your Sidhe deck, though more playful, Em - one reason I love it so much.

The fairies in this deck are more the small English-style bottom-of-the garden fairies, so I find their energy more nervous, playful and mischievous, but there is a lot more going on there, as Gregory found out. The style of art reminds me of Rackham and the other great 19th Century illustrators, and I like Rackham.

Sidhe-Ra

You know, I was just thinking the same thing- GARDEN faeries. The french Fee are very similar, indeed part of the Celtic tradition, and those are the beings I am used to dealing with. the smaller kind are still abou though- generally nicking shiny things.

Well, I'm not much of a gardener- I'm a wilderness sort of gal. Yes, there is a place for these, just not with me! (I don't think my lot approve...)

Blessings,

Em xxx

gregory

Oh yes - I'm with Fudugazi. NASTY little buggers, they can be. I was absolutely amazed, I really was. It still LOOKS pretty just to look at - but when you use it to read - OUCH !

I suppose when I read with it again (I shall, now !) I might get a nicer answer though.....

Poor old Fudu :love:

6 Haunted Days

Fudugazi said:
Maybe they heave themselves around with their flippers, like seals. Ok :laugh: on that one

The 6 of Wands is actually one of the most interesting 6 of Wands I've ever seen. Sure, one little fairy is happy and proud...but what's the other doing? He's staring at the first one and looks like he's swallowed a lemon and some very hot chili. Definitely not a comfortable card.
:eek:

Yes some of the cards do have a different take on the usual RWS images. 5 of Swords I thought was interesting, I get a feel it's more about talking or discussing with the other person (or conflict within yourself) than the usual bullying or rudeness. I usually get the feel that 5 of Swords is about power over another, either someone else or an aspect of yourself your repressing or "squishing". But I get something completely different in this deck.

I completely agree with your comments about faeries. This deck is a more "victorian sentiment" type faery. Small, playful, fun but of course with a dark side (just not that dark.) I am used to working with the more larger, powerful and traditional faeries within the Earth in the Underworld Faery tradition and this deck is a light, playful more easier way to connect to the little garden faeries.

Sidhe-Ra

gregory said:
Oh yes - I'm with Fudugazi. NASTY little buggers, they can be. I was absolutely amazed, I really was. It still LOOKS pretty just to look at - but when you use it to read - OUCH !

I suppose when I read with it again (I shall, now !) I might get a nicer answer though.....

Poor old Fudu :love:

Ah...reminds me of the faeries in labyrinth!

"It bit me!"
"Well, what do you expect Faeries to do?"
" I thought they did NICE things, like granting wishes..."
" Ha! Shows what YOU know, don't it?"

:)

Em xxx

gregory

6 Haunted Days said:
Yes some of the cards do have a different take on the usual RWS images. 5 of Swords I thought was interesting, I get a feel it's more about talking or discussing with the other person (or conflict within yourself) than the usual bullying or rudeness. I usually get the feel that 5 of Swords is about power over another, either someone else or an aspect of yourself your repressing or "squishing". But I get something completely different in this deck.
Look at the sun. The elf on her lap is bloody MISERABLE ! and even the book says it is a happy card. NO WAY !

Jewel

Fudugazi said:
They can't have spent much time with fairies or with real children if they think that :eek:
I must admit, I avoid small humans when possible ~giggles~.

I still have not read with the deck so I will retract all "fluffy" comments until such time as I have done several readings with the deck. On the surface it does look gentle, but from what those of you have said once you have read wtih it it sounds like that is not the case. Which is good to hear.

Skydancer ... nope not Jewel of the Nile ~giggles~, simply "Jewel" or during the Ren Fest that would be "Lady Jewel" the pirate ~chuckles~

gregory

Jewel said:
I still have not read with the deck so I will retract all "fluffy" comments until such time as I have done several readings with the deck. On the surface it does look gentle, but from what those of you have said once you have read wtih it it sounds like that is not the case. Which is good to hear.
Retract all fluffies, ye who open this box. })

I would say I can't remember the last time I was this wrong about anything, except I do.... :|

Jewel

gregory said:
Retract all fluffies, ye who open this box. })

I would say I can't remember the last time I was this wrong about anything, except I do.... :|
My favorite reading decks have all been decks I was REALLY wrong about *LOL*. Guess that means this one will probably join the favorite reading deck category too *LOL*. I personally find it hillarious that I end up liking decks that I originally was not overly excited about, to be the true loves of my tarot decks (Cosmic Tribe, Fey, Victorian Romantic, Fantastic Menagerie) Go figure!

WaterSong

MarkMcElroy said:
I love this post -- hurray for Gregory for being brave and honest enough to make it.

I really despair, lately, when I see harshly critical off-the-cuff posts (and even full-fledged "reviews") of decks based on casual glances, first impressions, or (occasionally) nothing more than a peek at online scans.

While some decks deserve nothing more than a superficial examination (Caring Psychic Family cards, anyone?), many decks can and do reward those who take the time to:

- attempt more than one reading with the cards

- make an effort to hear each deck's unique voice

- understand the deck in the context of the creator's work and vision.

So: kudos to Gregory for being willing to take the Faeries for a spin ... and for being willing to share the impact this reading had on his opinion of the deck.

Mark, you said it all so well...I find your post comforting, full of sensitivity and intelligence...I cringe sometimes when I read certain comments, obviously written in a hurry, based on impression and with no further though put into them... and sadly, with no consideration for the artist feelings.I think we forget they are real people and not names on a screen.

I am glad I found your post, I find it refreshing...I too dismay when reading certain comments that are harsh , rushed and dismissive....without further research of information....I just recovered from having the audacity to find many positive factors in the Mystic Faery , starting from being able to do readings with it....one thing the faeries are here to remind us of is to play...we forget that as children we learn playing and even as adults we do better, we create and function better in a playful, humorous enviroment( have you heard of Emotional Intelligence?)....who has ever being productive in a gloomy, oppressive, dry enviroment?
( oh, suddleny some examples just come to my mind, just about all the politicians....the Queen of England???)

This deck is anything but fluffy, when you start doing readings with it: I have gotten some truly OUCHY messages from it ...I think we falsely beleive that the more complex something the better and deeper it is and what I actually have found, in my experience, is that spiritual truths are simple and clear...

When I was in school, two years ago, I had to study anatomy and physiology for a whole year.....the only way we made it through such a dry topic was by playing...we will come up with games and the teacher knew that making us laugh, during such stressful time, was the best way to get us through it and to actually remember the information.
There is lots of wisdom behind a playful, positive attitude( some confuse being playful with being infantile or frivolous, but that is not the case, ask Paris Hilton)

Now, it is one thing to just dismiss a deck and another is to truly not to be able to relate to the art, imagery or else.....that is personal preference but you can always state that in a way that is constructive.

Yes, many kudos for Gregory, she is a very fine lady, she has shown some prime fiber quality there, with her statements ...:D

Anyways, Mark, sorry the bla bla, just wanted to say how much I related to what you so very well said ....

best wishes
magenta