Natural and Synthetic Stones

Ruby7

Razordance said:
You can get raw, non-gem quality stones for very reasonable prices, and if you're looking for energy rather that something that looks good in a ring, it shouldn't make a difference

Exactly. To me the energy is actually stronger in a raw uncut crystal no matter what the quality is.

Ruby7

memries

I have a similar wondering except my created opal was cheap and looks great. I do not think the ring at $675 was inexpensive so Jas should try to take it back.
I know that real Rubies are grown and they are so good they have to put a mark in them to let dealers know that they have been grown. They would be excellent and not expensive. I think they grow sapphires the same way as they are in the Corundum family of mineral or crystal ?.. the same as topaz.
I tried to find out if Opals were the same in the created category and have had some success. I would like a real stone verus some form of "plastic" for want of a better word.
Mineral Collecting is a great site and free access and have just not had a chance to look there but I do belong. It is a long haul to learn about them all and to remember it !

Briar Rose

One place that I find uncut or rough cut gems and minerals is

gem, mineral and fossil shows

type in that phrase, but type in where you live with it and see what comes up for shows.

Usually you'll find them in a exposition type center, or theater, or sometimes The Holiday Inns will host these (with about 25 vendors).

Usually about 200 vendors will be at a big arena, and about 4 will just carry rough cut crystals, the rest is beads and jewelry (then inquire about Brazilian vendors(best prices).

I am sorry, all the jewelers that I work with don't want to tell who they buy their gems from. I find that selffish as I like to share everything I know.

If you want you can type in your state/gov and them apply for your wholesale license (it's free ) and buy at wholesale prices.

Best wishes.

Rough cut, or polished, it's okay. You can cleanse your crystals and bring them back to life.

If you're not digging them up, who knows who handled them? Don't worry about that, just stay present and focus on your good energy going into the stone(s).

I think that any mineral that comes my way is meant for me. Some threads have stated that crystals seems to either find their way to you, or leave when their time is done. Either way it's a blessing to find them.

Heckta

Check out the site below on raw minerals, if only for viewing. Interesting site, these raw minerals are of course on the pricey side. But, some are around the $19-28 range, depending on what you are looking for. He has his own store and, he does offer field trips to obtain your own natural minerals. Of course if you have the right tools for excavating. But, either way I've had my eye on this store for some time thought I would share this site with others interested in minerals. Also, great pic of an Azurite and Malachite mineral!

http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/index.htm

chrisam-crystals

and don't forget of cpourse that the vast majority of citrine that is knocking about is actually heat treated amethyst......but most crystal workers can tell the difference when handling them by the energy that comes from it.

also smokey quartz id more often than not irradiated to make the colour really dark, which is actually a turn off for me personally as i prefer the light smokey look that the natural crystals offer. :)

dr. farr

re: smoky quartz: true most of the really dark to almost completely black available from retail sources is radiated (which greatly alters the energy field of the stone), there is in fact an almost black variety which occurs naturally, which is called "morion"; this natural form is, however, pretty difficult to come by; best bet is to look for the very light to moderately brown but still largely transparent specimens of smoky quartz in order to be more certain to avoid radiation treated stones.

chrisam-crystals

most of the smokey quartz that i have looks more like clear quartz on a bad day! lol

and i have to say something about the synthetic opalite that is becoming more and more available of late................IT IS HORRID!

i have seen it being marketed as sea opal and moonstone, and for some reason i just abhor the stuff. :(

sharpchick

Jascrystal said:
My astrologer recommended natural stones to me
she also said synthetic stones also have bad notion to them because u dont know what kind of energy the shiner of the stone had at the time the person was shining it

She's not telling you that tumbled (polished) stones aren't natural, is she?