Need a shoulder to cry on, and an ear to listen

Stark Raven

I have been offering some readings on eBay, I don't do them for a fee, I only cover the listing money, so this is not professional talk, I do it for the experience alone. I don't do lot of these readings because I am too busy to dedicate that much time. In the last month I have done between 30 and 40 readings. A couple of weeks ago I received my first neutral feedback. I didn't deliver a wrong reading though; still the incident and the surrounding situation taught me to be very aware when choosing wording for a reading. In that case 'coming back physically' was what they were asking about, and 'coming back to a relationship' was what I was talking about. Two totally different things as a person can be there physically and be gone again days later as that reading had said would happen. That aside, I got the second neutral feedback today. I felt it was totally out of line, and done because that individual was suffering in their life.

This person was asking if they would pass a course. The reading said that even though it was possible, the person would have a very hard time creating the circumstance under which to succeed, and that they would therefore most likely fail. To me, this is neither yes or no, it's a 'you need to do this...' sort of a thing. That's what I said too. The person said that I didn't answer their 'yes or no question' with a 'yes or no' and checked neutral. So what I am asking here is this - is it possible to get past this sort of thing and be successful despite malicious feedback? What advice can you give me? It's not Tarot reading inexperience or failure, so what am I missing? Anyone else had this? Do people still ask for readings on feedback based platforms from those who have had 2 neutral feedbacks within 3 weeks?

Grizabella

I'm not that familiar with eBay listings but neutral doesn't say "malicious" to me. It just says, "Meh---so, so." It means they weren't overly ecstatic with the reading, but that's about it.

We're never always right. There's no such thing as 100% accuracy. The public who get readings know this, so I don't think it's going to negatively impact you much. You win some, you lose some, as they say. :) There will be plenty of others who do like your readings in the future and from the sound of it, you've had lots of satisfied customers to outweigh the two people who were less than impressed. The public does take note of that balance. :)

Stark Raven

I'm not that familiar with eBay listings but neutral doesn't say "malicious" to me. It just says, "Meh---so, so." It means they weren't overly ecstatic with the reading, but that's about it.

We're never always right. There's no such thing as 100% accuracy. The public who get readings know this, so I don't think it's going to negatively impact you much. You win some, you lose some, as they say. :) There will be plenty of others who do like your readings in the future and from the sound of it, you've had lots of satisfied customers to outweigh the two people who were less than impressed. The public does take note of that balance. :)

You always know what to say Grizabella, thanks, you're a doll!

Btw, yes I am aware that no one is 100% accurate, but I still feel pressured to try to manage my feedback to as close to that as I can; so many expect perfection despite knowing it's not possible. But then again, that sounds like life in general, lol.

Debra

Charge more. People are casual and thoughtless with free gifts. Something they've invested in they're more likely to take seriously :heart: No kidding.

GryffinSong

Charge more. People are casual and thoughtless with free gifts. Something they've invested in they're more likely to take seriously :heart: No kidding.

I was thinking the same thing. And if you're open to feedback, you should definately be getting something out of it other than just practice.

Also, look into whether you can add a comment under the feedback. I'm sure you can do that with negative feedback, because I've seen the comments when checking out a seller, so it might be available for neutral as well. That way you can give your side. When I see a seller who's comment is reasonable and polite, I often overlook the negative, and certainly would overlook a neutral.

Hugs and good luck!!!

Stark Raven

This makes lots of sense, plus I have heard this theory before and am believing it now!

I was thinking the same thing. And if you're open to feedback, you should definately be getting something out of it other than just practice.

Also, look into whether you can add a comment under the feedback. I'm sure you can do that with negative feedback, because I've seen the comments when checking out a seller, so it might be available for neutral as well. That way you can give your side. When I see a seller who's comment is reasonable and polite, I often overlook the negative, and certainly would overlook a neutral.

Thank you too GryffinSong, both of you have opened my eyes considerably on this matter. I think I'll survive now, and will make some changes on my approach. Thanks both of you - very much!

Gia

Debra took the words right out of my mouth! There is something called "perceived value"...by offering your services at...what basically amounts to nothing, you're letting the recipient know that you don't value your self...which...I hope isn't true because you sound as though you are giving good readings!
Serious sitters will seek out good readers. People who seek readings 'for a lark' will seek out cheap and easy...and will sometimes respond with less than glowing praise...it goes with the territory.
I believe strongly in a fair exchange of energy...if they're not paying what you're worth, they're not receiving your best energy, and you're not receiving fair payment or feedback of your work.
Finally...if you're selling your services on eBay, feedback that is public goes with the territory.

Stark Raven

Debra took the words right out of my mouth! There is something called "perceived value"...by offering your services at...what basically amounts to nothing, you're letting the recipient know that you don't value your self...which...I hope isn't true because you sound as though you are giving good readings!
Serious sitters will seek out good readers. People who seek readings 'for a lark' will seek out cheap and easy...and will sometimes respond with less than glowing praise...it goes with the territory.
I believe strongly in a fair exchange of energy...if they're not paying what you're worth, they're not receiving your best energy, and you're not receiving fair payment or feedback of your work.
Finally...if you're selling your services on eBay, feedback that is public goes with the territory.

Thank you for the insight on how this theory applies here.

I am thinking out new pricing now. When I wrote to ask this person why she gave such feedback, her explanation was such that she didn't understand that it wasn't just text on a page, that it actually has a value that affects my eBay stuff. So to her it was expressing irritation that she didn't get a yes or no, and that now she has to actually work on something.

Chiriku

wiccanfaeriefey,

On your ebay listings, do you provide a concise overview of your approach to tarot reading and what you "do" and "don't do?"

If you don't want to answer Yes or No questions because for instance, in your philosophy, tarot is not ideally suited to them, you can put that information in your listing, the same way some sellers list their guidelines such as "Returns accepted within 7 days only," or "PayPal only--no credit card."

You can also add any ethical guidelines you've set for yourself and your readings. "I do not provide detailed medical or legal advice; please seek the advice of a healthcare or legal professional for such questions."

nicky

So what I am asking here is this - is it possible to get past this sort of thing and be successful despite malicious feedback? What advice can you give me? It's not Tarot reading inexperience or failure, so what am I missing? Anyone else had this? Do people still ask for readings on feedback based platforms from those who have had 2 neutral feedbacks within 3 weeks?

Your feedback wasn't malicious - more like disappointing; and I am certain you will get more requests for readings.

You did not mention why you don't do this in person - thus avoiding the feedback issue - by that I do NOT mean there is no feedback - it is just not printed out there in cyberspace.

In my experience being in person will give you way more experience than ebay online etc...