Need some help clarifying please

Miranda80

Ok, I am a little confused. I have the Rider Waite deck and am interested in purchasing a new deck. Now, I practice with this deck to try and learn the cards meanings, and I tend to remember the meanings by the pictures on the cards (because as most people say...they kind of tell a story). Now, here's the confusing part, I am wondering what kind of deck to use, where I am not going to totally lose all meanings by having completely different pictures than what I have been studying. Does that make sense? I need some advice. Thanks.

silver_rain

Luckily for you, a lot of decks are inspired by the Rider Waite, so allthough the pictures look artistically different, the scenes and people are often more or less the same :) I'd recommend looking through scans of decks online, here on aecletictarot.com, or on other sites like tarotgarden.com. Good luck!

Moonbow

I think you are saying that you are looking for a deck in the WCS ilk and if so I can highly recommend the Spiral. It was my first deck because I didn't take to the artwork of the Waite/Smith deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/spiral/

fferyllt

You might find this web page helpful: http://www.advancenet.net/~jscole/tarotrwsclone.htm

It compares various decks and how close they are to RWS. There are quite a few listed, but there are other decks out there that are not on that page.

Are there any particular themes you'd like to see in a deck? That might help others make suggestions. Some of my favorites are the DruidCraft, the Tarot of Prague, and the World Spirit, all of which are very like RWS.

avalonian

Recommendation for the Spiral seconded. Also worth a look is the Hanson Roberts. I would agree with silver-rain that it's worth looking through the cards section of this site, it usually states in the review if the deck is Rider-Waite inspired.

You can also narrow the search on this site by selecting the sort option, then by deck type, then if you want something similar to the one you already have, scroll down and select Rider Waite clones.

It is interesting to have more than one deck for comparison (said accidental owner of approx 350) one deck can sometimes draw your attention so something that you haven't noticed in another.

Miranda80

Thank you all so far for your suggestions. Another question that comes up is have any of you changed your meanings of the cards from one deck to the next? I will definately look into these suggestions. Thank you so much.

Okay, I've taken a look at the sites and decks suggested. I really liked the Spiral deck and the DruidCraft deck. I think I will be choosing between these two. Thank you for your help.

karen0205

Hey Miranda80, where are you in Illinois? I'm in Lockport. Anyway, there are tons of decks that follow the RWS. What kind of deck are you looking for, are you looking at more feminine decks or do you want something with mythology or fairies or animals? There are a bunch of different themes. Did you have anything in mind?

karen

afrosaxon

Change of card meanings from deck to deck

Miranda80 said:
Another question that comes up is have any of you changed your meanings of the cards from one deck to the next? I will definately look into these suggestions. Thank you so much.

The "traditional" meanings are usually the same, deck to deck...particularly for those based strongly on the RWS (Rider-Waite-Smith). BUt for those decks that take a bit of a departure, there may be a different slant.

I've found this to be true of oracle-based decks (e.g., Gaian Oracle, New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, Osho Zen) and round decks (e.g., Motherpeace, Daughters of the Moon Tarot). Round decks tend to be more feminist-oriented, point blank...then, based on the theme of the deck, the interpretations may be different.

I've also had a card "tell" me that it's meaning, in a particular deck, is different than the traditional meaning. There was this little tarot deck I used to use (got it from B.Dalton) and whenever I pulled the 2 of Disks (which showed an alligator with two pentacles for eyes), that indicated death (as in, not living anymore) moreso than the Death card (which really indicates "change"). I never got that impression with the 2 of Pentacles in any other deck. Go figure. :D

I hope this helps!

T.

Ravenlady

Just to give my two cents I do that with the Legend deck, I'm following much of the mythology and the story of the card there. If I'm doing a deck that I'm unsure of what to think/feel, I go back to some basic meanings that I have for the cards in case of my mind going off somewhere and didn't find it's way back :D

Anna

Miranda80

karen0205 said:
Hey Miranda80, where are you in Illinois? I'm in Lockport. Anyway, there are tons of decks that follow the RWS. What kind of deck are you looking for, are you looking at more feminine decks or do you want something with mythology or fairies or animals? There are a bunch of different themes. Did you have anything in mind?

Hey. I am actually around Peoria, about 40 minutes from there actually. To answer your question, I do like fairies, I want to stay away from the animals for now, though. I edited my last post to say a couple of the decks that I found interesting. Thanks for your help.