"Negative" Cards in Outcome

Kelly-Ann

I would have seen it more as "this is what is likely to happen if you carry on in your current path and all things remain equal. Now - what are you going to do about that ?"

- and look to the advice cards for suggestions.
Definitely. It's all probabilistic in my readings. I can only speculate on what is likely to happen if none of the variables are changed and no action is taken to right what might be wrong. The real point of the reading is to empower the querent to realise that they don't need to go down that route but can instead forge another.

nisaba

Hello all,

I'm curious about the different ways of thinking in regards to the outcome card.

- Interpret the card in the best possible manner
- Interpret the card as normal, with the understanding that taking the action prevents something worse
- Interpret the card as normal, view it as "fate" - in that the tarot already "knows" you won't take the action and thus the outcome is going to happen
- Interpret the card as normal - consider that outcome is limited to the time duration of the spread, but the action can set up for a better future, another outcome that is beyond the scope of the current spread
- Other possibilities?

When I'm with clients, a so-called negative card in an outcome or future-time position tells me what is most likely to happen in a person's life if they don't take action to change their circumstances or their behaviour. Most so-called negative cards have the seeds of their own cure within them: the Devil suggests a greater control over their baser instincts will improve things, the Five Cups suggests that focussing on the possibilities of the future insdtead of the losses of the past will help, etc etc.

I often explain to clients that a reading shows you PROBABILITIES and LIKELIHOODS, but you don't have to sit around passively waiting for them to come about if you don't like them. A reading is like a fast-running river: if you jump in and do nothing, you will float downstream (towards those negative cards), but if you turn around and make some effort you will be able to swim upstream against the flow of the river.