New to Tarot... Reading for Others

djdaz

Hi guys,

I am quite new to Tarot. Only been learning Tarot for around a year. I have often read for myself and been confident in the readings and they have been quite accurate. But now some of my friends are getting interested in it and want me to do readings for them and I am really nervous about it because of what they will think, their pre-conceived ideas and whether it is accurate for them. Is this normal and how do I over-come it?

Darren

Moonbow

Hi Darren, welcome to Aeclectic.

For experience of reading, there is nothing to compare with reading face to face. It does bring out the nerves even if you know the sitter, and in some cases knowing them is more difficult then reading for strangers. But if you feel ready to do this, and your friends are asking, then its a good way to get into personal readings. In fact many readers want just this opportunity.

You will soon get to realise that reading face to face is not just about reading the cards themselves but also involves allot of listening and interaction, while trying to stay focused on the reading. Then later you will read for people who say nothing, and then those who you can't stop. Its all part of reading Tarot.

Try to prepare yourself first, in whichever way calms you down. I like to do some Reiki first, I know some people say a prayer and some do nothing. Choose a spread which is simple to remember but will give you plenty to talk about, or one where you can add cards to it if you need to.

After that you just have to bite the bullet and go for it. It's very satisfying to get the first one over with, and the more you do, the more confident you will get.

Grizabella

You're going to get people who just sit there and won't interact. Those made me sweat. :( And then you'll get people who say that none of it applies to them. (I'll bet it does, though, and they'll be back for another reading. :p ) And then you'll get people who want to know when they'll get married and who he is and how many kids they'll have and what their sexes, hair and eye color will be. :p And then you'll get really nice ones who interact and are very polite and say "oh yeah, that's right on!". :D

In short, you'll get all kinds. Don't let any of the difficult ones shake your faith in yourself and the cards. Just consider them necessary obstacles you need to overcome along the road to becoming a successful reader. :)

djdaz

Thanks for your replies guys. It seems I will have to "bite the "bullet" at some point and now seems as gooder time as any! I just have to hope that I get some kind of interaction! (Although they are my friends so chances are they will interact to a degree)

Moonbow:
Do you have any suggestions regarding a simple spread that I should use? I know it will vary a bit with the question the sitter poses but I was thinking about a standard 3 x 3 square? I find the Celtic Cross difficult to get on with... Dont know why!
I like the idea of relaxing first... that sounds like a good idea.

Moonbow

I agree that the CC is not a good spread to start off with, I think it takes allot of practice to be comfortable and familiar with it. If you like the 3x3 idea then that is fine. You don't even need to have positions, you could just lay the cards out and read them.

I have an idea for a spread, but I don't take credit for it. I started off by using Lark's spread:

Past Present Obstacle Advice Outcome.

Its just 5 cards and will cover most questions, and I sometimes add cards to it downwards. If the conversation is such that the sitter wants more information than I have given on one card, say the card in the Present position, then I will put another card underneath that one and expand the reading. But be sure to get the most out of one card before you move on to the next. In a ideal reading I only need these five cards.

I also use the Pyramid Spread sometimes:

First row = The issue
Second row = The choices about the issue
Third row = Underlying forces
Fourth row = Advice from the cards

djdaz

Thanks Moonbow, I like the idea of the pyramid one... It seems simple yet able to give much detail.
A little off subject I know, I have just noticed that you are from Southampton!! Although i'm from Bangor on my profile as I am at Uni there, I am originally from Gosport (Born in Portsmouth) where my parents live! Who'd have thought it!
This may seem a strange question but how would you "do" a reading for another person? What steps would you follow? I have done it for myself but the way I do it is based on the fact that I know what i'm doing!

elvenstar

Hi Darren, welcome to AT. :) My story is very similar to yours and i've only recently started doing readings for others, so I thought I'd share some experience. How you 'do' a reading for someone else depends a lot on who that someone is. Ideally you want to start reading with both parties involved in a good frame of mind.

If you feel nervous it may help you to say so, it's amazing how much better and more confident I've felt once I've said 'You know, I'm pretty new at reading for others and feel a bit nervous'. By saying it, you banish it in a way. If they're positively inclined, they won't take it the wrong way. If they're not, you don't have to read for them!

As for the querent, it may help to discuss their previous tarot experience, if any, find out what they expect and give them to understand your take on it. Or you could jump right in! In this, as with all things tarot, trust your intuition above all.

Finally, the most important thing I've learned I think, is not to rush. Take your time looking at the cards, don't feel forced to open your mouth immediately and start revealing infinite wisdom! Deep breaths have done wonders for me. ;) If you feel the seconds ticking away and the other person looking at you expectantly, ignore it. Pretend you're on your own looking at a spread and let it speak to you. Also, if random insights come to you, don't be afraid to let them out. It can be in question form, you don't have to say, 'that's how it is'.

Sophie

I read for others from the first evening I got my cards...but from AT I see it's not the norm. The only advice I can give you is - go for it. Throw yourself into a reading with someone you trust, and give it your best shot. You can explain to the other that you've been been studying tarot for a year and are still learning (we all are!) but don't sabotage yourself by saying you might be wrong, etc.

Take it a step at a time. Ground and centre yourself, still the busy mind. Speak clearly.

Above all - listen to the other. Look at their reactions to the cards, feel them. Listen to what they are saying about themselves and the cards. Ask questions. You are not God giving Moses the 10 Commandments on Mount Sinai, you are simply trying to help someone make sense of a situation in their life, and help them see their future options. They will actually have to do a lot of the work!

The only way to learn how to read tarot for others is - to read tarot for others.

djdaz

Thanks for all your help guys. I have been reading the posts on this forum for ages now, but this is the first thread I have posted myself. When I do my first reading for someone else , I will have to let you know how it goes!!

Regards to all

Darren

Umbrae

Both Rachel Pollack and Mary Greer (during a panel discussion) both explained why they dislike ‘accurate’ readings.

One: The sitter stops listening and misses what’s important for them to hear.

Two: If the first half is accurate – they forget about free-will and lock themselves into the ‘Prediction’.

I really distrust folks that say they are 99% accurate. Weathermen and stock market analysts never even get 99% accuracy ratings.