Newbie To Tarot confused with meanings help

Theta Choir

Though I bought my first tarot deck some years ago, I only buckled down and started really working to learn the meanings of the cards within the last six months.

The first thing I did -- and mind you, it was a DISASTER! -- was to gather a stack of tarot books together at the same table, find the meaning of The Fool in one book, and then compare that to every other book I had with me at the table. Then I did the same for The Magician, then The Empress, and so on. My thought was that I would notice the overlapping areas where all the books agreed, and there would be the "real" meaning. I say it was a disaster because in reality it was more like standing in a crowded room with everyone talking to me at the same time telling me conflicting stories. My eyes glazed over and I quickly became frustrated and confused.

What helped me was making the decision to pick a book -- ONE BOOK -- that I felt I connected with, and go from there. I learned ONE author's meanings for all 78 cards. Yes, there were a few card meanings that, although I memorized, didn't seem *quite* right to me, but I set those feelings aside to examine later. As an aside, the one book I chose was Barbara Moore's "Tarot for Beginners: A Practical Guide to Reading the Cards", which had very simple, short "core" meanings for the cards.

Once I had the core meanings memorized, I then returned to the cards that had core meanings I didn't feel I fully connected with, and picked a different book (which just so happened to be Joan Bunning's "Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners") and checked the meanings I had memorized against my *new* book. Basically, now that I had a base of knowledge to work with, I could tweak and adjust my understanding of a card in response to new sources of information without overloading my brain with trying to figure out what I should even bother remembering in the first place!

I'm not saying that my method of learning the card meanings is superior to any other way or system, but my decision to *temporarily* eliminate all other sources of information really helped alleviate my confusion and frustration. I stopped worrying "...but what if the book I chose has the "wrong" meanings?" when, after reading these forums, I realized that no one source is ever completely right or wrong, and that we will always adjust our understanding of the meaning of a card depending on our situation, level of experience, or just plain ol' gut feelings.

Now if only those dang court cards would start making some sense... :p

HOLMES

Though I bought my first tarot deck some years ago, I only buckled down and started really working to learn the meanings of the cards within the last six months.

The first thing I did -- and mind you, it was a DISASTER! -- was to gather a stack of tarot books together at the same table, find the meaning of The Fool in one book, and then compare that to every other book I had with me at the table. Then I did the same for The Magician, then The Empress, and so on. My thought was that I would notice the overlapping areas where all the books agreed, and there would be the "real" meaning. I say it was a disaster because in reality it was more like standing in a crowded room with everyone talking to me at the same time telling me conflicting stories. My eyes glazed over and I quickly became frustrated and confused.

Now if only those dang court cards would start making some sense... :p

that worked for me, but i picked 4 books and looked for a universal meaning behind them ,, to pick a key word for each major arcana. so that techique can work but it needs focus.

did you try the two respective books on court cards ?.
those are harder that is for sure,, do you want to see them as people or forces, it is hard to divine what it is when it is in a reading and you got both meanings underneath your belt.
but it takes time :)

Theta Choir

did you try the two respective books on court cards ?.
those are harder that is for sure,, do you want to see them as people or forces, it is hard to divine what it is when it is in a reading and you got both meanings underneath your belt.
but it takes time :)

Yes, I'm using Joan Bunning's book for the court cards at the moment. I am still trying to decide exactly how I see the court cards. At the moment, I tend to see them as "personality types" or energies...in other words, facets of our personalities that either need to be expressed, or -- on the flip side of that coin-- are perhaps being overindulged.

But of course, it depends on the position, situation, and the question being asked.

Still, I admit to being mildly irked when I get a card with a position like "recommended action to take" and it's, say, the Page of Pentacles. I can interpret this as a message that the action I should take is to express (or repress) the personality traits that relate to the Page of Pentacles, but for the newbie tarot reader that I am, that answer isn't very satisfying, lol.

Sigh. This grasshopper needs some more patience. ;-)

P.S. I hope I'm not threadjacking here, Gracie2K. Hopefully this is regarded as an extension of the discussion generated by your O.P., and not as me trying to turn the discussion to my "issues", lol.

Grizabella

With regard to the Page of Pentacles as "recommended action to take", I'd say it would mean to become childlike in a Page of Pentacles way. The Page of Pentacles is young and inexperienced and doesn't know much about whatever it is that's at issue, so it would mean approaching it with an open mind, not an attitude of "know it all already". You'd want to approach it in a thoughtful, studious, open-minded way instead.

Gracie2k

With regards to the higher self I came across a cd I had watched some of with my mother and my mother thought it was useful and handy it does work on core meanings and sticking them into the higher self. It is quite trippy to watch it's monte farber one, I might have to check it out sometime to see if anything sticks into my subconscious. This will be at a later date. i don't want to muddle it with what i am reading now.

TarotMania book is calling to me singing it's praises pick me.
I too sat with lots of books and wrote keywords down from each. I am finding the fool very contradictory. One place says they are not an innocent but someone setting out into the world wanting to learn things. the other states them as a complete fool someone with no knowledge and really is not bright or sparky. This confliction confuses me.

it's ok the learntarot course I hope to get to in time.

Eeviee

I am focusing on the major arcana right now studying them closely and taking it slowly.

That's exactly where I'm (re)starting... how's it working out for you thus far?

Gracie2k

I will leave it for the moment just paid for shopping which is taking ages to be delivered lol and house bills but, it looks interesting.
Oh I am starting from scratch again and finding the messages exercises help on this thread really moving me forwards. I am not cramming info inside my head too quickly.
Tarot is going ok so far and found interesting keywords I came up with to help me along. I am study study study right now. I am taking breaks but, i find music with the cards lessons helps me to get the messages into my head.
I'm comparing things I read till I come up with a solution to each card that i feel is right for me for the NOW. I believe it will change in time with readings but, I want a concept I feel is good for me. I like drawing small sketches on my tarot words to extend my thinking processes and using colors as I'm more visual. I want to add small sketches beside each card sometime in my notes.
Eevie just take it at your pace and enjoy it. My tutors let me use my morgan greer instead of the RWS and I am feeling much happier!