Not about you

Gazel

Sometime ago in this forum I devoted myself to do 100 readings before even thinking of going pro.
Therefore this is not a pro post, rather something aboout my way of getting there. If the moderators think this is posted in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.
Anyway, yesterday afternoon I read for a friend's friend, and for the very first time I did not feel the urge to perform or achieve. And the "fear" that comes from this "I" thinking was not present. Instead I gave what I had, and was honest in the process.
I think it is because I did the "it is not about you"-thinking that the Dan guy advocates. And I could just be insteadof thinking of me during the reading.
And for the first time I really feel I can help another person (that I do not know beforehand) by reading the cards for him/her.
I felt some kind of flow and relief and happiness afterwards.
Just needed to share this experience.
Love, Gazel

Marcia959

For the "you" part of "it's not about you", that wonderful feeling after a reading is just the best, isn't it?

Baroli

I think it is because I did the "it is not about you"-thinking that the Dan guy advocates.

I think the "it is not about you," thing is really what any good reader will come to realize and understand. It takes a great reader however after understanding that, to experience the feeling of the greater good being done. There's a lot of us out there,...welcome to the club.

It looks good on ya.

"The Dude abides,..."

Gazel

Thank you both, Marcia959 and Baroli.
It feels wonderful yes, and I'll try sticking to this path. Actually it felt like some weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

Gazel

The strange thing is that after this experience, today I had someone asking me by mail via my homepage for a reading. She's coming to my home tomorrow afternoon.

Baroli

And the Universe smiles down and says "there ya go."

nisaba

While we are self-conscious for any reason, we don't read as well as we could. We can be self-conscious for many reasons, ranging from "I am the greatest, I want people to acknowledge that!" all the way through to "What if I get it wrong, or they figure out I'm only a normal person, or they hate me, or I draw a blank?" If you go into a reading-situation being aware of any thoughts along those lines, the self will not sit down and shut up and just let the intuition do its stuff, there'll be too great a pressure from the self to "perform".

It happens to everyone, no matter how good, that they look across at the client's face and, for some reason, get self-conscious, and it's very hard to put aside. It still occasionally happens to me now, years after I first started reading publicly, and after being used to just sitting down and letting everything happen, it's amazing how difficult a reading is when you have to make it happen in the face of your self-consciousness.

Congratulations. Now that you've found out what it feels like to let go and allow it to happen, it will happen more and more often. And don't get anxious if you go backwards and the self intrudes in some readings later on - don't beat yourself up. It'll intrude, probably, for the rest of your life. But in between those occasions will be the glowing readings, the numinous readings, the readings where yow sat down and said a whole bunch of stuff you didn't understand, but which the the client directly between the eyes.

There is nothing better than to have a client arrive looking a bit tense, and have them leave covered in smiles and immensely relieved.

Great work!

Umbrae

Gazel said:
I think it is because I did the "it is not about you"-thinking that the Dan guy advocates. And I could just be insteadof thinking of me during the reading.
I was chatting today on the farspeaker with that Dan guy, and mentioned this. He laughed hysterically a long time and said, "Shit...it ain't 'bout me..." He sure is one funny cat. Me? I'd like to congratulate you! All kinda doors open when you take that step...

IMO your mileage may vary

MareSaturni

I wonder...how does that happen?

Is it something that simply happens after a long time reading for others or is it a conscious exercise of tellin' yourself every time you read "it's not about me".

I know that it's not a about me, but i can't say it feels natural. I still get nervous and anxious. Just haven't managed to kick that annoying ego out of the room while reading (and that's kinda embarrassing to admit)...

...yet, i hope. Yet.