Not about you

Gazel

Thanks Nisaba and Umbrae.

Mariana, I have no idea.
I don't know how it happens. I think it is tough to maintain this attitude. One way could be to ask the higher powers or whatever you believe in for help being a channel to help the querent. I don't think you have to do much more. Because then you let the Not being about me-thought take to much power. Like when saying "Don't think about an elephant". Hope you get the meaning.

I think Nisaba is right. I guess the self/ego has a tendency to lurk on your readings, trying to whisper things in you ear that has nothing to do with the querent or the question or the cards. Even after a lot of readings, it still will come snirking (is that a word) back in, if it can. And it is not helpful at all, it is only there for it's own purposes.

As for this reading I just had, I find it difficult to maintain, but I did my best. I just talked, and now I don't really remember what I said, but I think it went quite well, anyway.

Love from CPH, and thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Umbrae

Marina said:
I know that it's not a about me, but i can't say it feels natural. I still get nervous and anxious. Just haven't managed to kick that annoying ego out of the room while reading (and that's kinda embarrassing to admit)...

...yet, i hope. Yet.
Keep reading F2F for strangers. It goes away. May take 5 readings more, may take 500 readings more. But one day the ego goes in the back pocket...and when the 800 lbs gorilla is out of the room...
Gazel said:
...I just talked, and now I don't really remember what I said, but I think it went quite well, anyway.
...tellls me everything I need to know. I KNOW your reading rocked, because you don't really remember. You remember the cards and the layout. But as to what you said? That's when it's 'on'.

Just takes practice...

MareSaturni

Umbrae said:
Keep reading F2F for strangers. It goes away. May take 5 readings more, may take 500 readings more. But one day the ego goes in the back pocket...and when the 800 lbs gorilla is out of the room...

Yeah, i've been trying to kick him out but he's kinda heavy, that gorilla...

Will keep practicing reading F2F to strangers, sir! *clicks heels and salutes*

Gazel

Umbrae said:
...tellls me everything I need to know. I KNOW your reading rocked, because you don't really remember. You remember the cards and the layout. But as to what you said? That's when it's 'on'.

Just takes practice...

Thanks, Umbrae.
I will. Practise. As for the reading the other day. Forty minutes after she'd gone her friend call and we scheduled a reading for tomorrow.

Gazel

Btw. It occured to me yesterday, that it is the same thing that goes for reading tarot and writing, my other interest. It is about being at disposal for whatever that works through me (Call it God, The Universe, Wisdom, Inspiration) and for which I'm a channel.
Not to make it sound easy, because it is definitively not, but it is somehow the same attitude that is needed (or no attitude at all). Just being. There. And listen.

Umbrae

Gazel said:
...It is about being ... a channel.

Exactly. But that alone makes it difficult. If one TRIES to be a channel, one ends up a clogged conduit. It's difficult to 'not do'. We cannot explain to folks how to 'not do'. One spends years learning Tarot, then we tell them, "okay, now don't read...be a channel" and the howls begin...

3crows

who is this dan guy?

I could use some of that. Who is this Dan guy? I tend to forget that I don't have to be frightened of "getting it wrong"...just do it with an open heart and the cards will speak for themselves.

Umbrae

3crows said:
I could use some of that. Who is this Dan guy?
A few years back, "That Dan Guy" was the handle awarded to Dan Pelletier of The Tarot Garden by AT member Satori (Elf at the time). He's just a guy, nothin' special (he'd be the first to agree).

starrystarrynight

^^^^^^ (that Dan Guy) ^^^^^^
|||||||||........................|||||||||

(in case you really didn't know)

nisaba

Um, let's not make Umbrae talk about That Dan Guy behind his back ...