NPR says psychics are the new psychologists. Are we?

alec

Have you seen this NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91166053

As a trained therapist (not currently practicing) and tarot reader, I've struggled a lot in the past with the "psychic" label. Clients/querents seem to want and need to think of us as psychics. What we are doing is helping them connect to the divine, and to make sense of their lives in an efficient and cost-effective way.

Now, I'm starting to think that I should stop trying to "push the river" and just embrace it.

Anyone else struggling with this?
Thanks!
Alec

P.S. Sorry if this NPR article been posted previously - couldn't find it in the search.

DaughterOfDanu

I, too, struggle with whether to use the word "Psychic" in my ads and as how I address my readings. I wonder if "Psychics" get more clients because psychics are associated with the supernatural- thus they /must/ be more powerful and accurate than any 'ol non-psychic tarot reader.

I would consider a psychic to be someone who doesn't use the cards someone who is clairvoyant, clairsentenent, clairaudient, etc. Although I /think/ I have clairaudience, I don't use it in my readings.

Not everyone can be a psychic (Or at least that's how I was taught), everyone can read tarot cards with the right ammount of work.

I'm really borderline with putting the word psychic in my ads and on my site as well as calling myself one in front of my clients. I want to, I mean it'd feel great to be something special- but am I really? And is it really ethical to call myself one if indeed I am not?

alec

Hi treeleafe,

Yes, you and I are facing similar concerns. Clearly we don't want to use false advertising. Hopefully others will weigh in with some thoughts.

alec

RexMalaki

I liked the NPR story...Tarot vs. psychic? not sure...but

if someone is a good reader why aren't they psychic?

psychic/fortuneteller there are certain connotations too...

MagsStardustBlack

I think 'you' are psychic. I know what you meen though. But can being psychic also meen having a strong intuition that we can use to guide ourselves and others, or is intuition something different altogether.

I have had some precognitive dreams and visions, but its not a regular thing, comes in waves, also have seen some spirits through scrying in the past, i would say i have psychic tendencies, not that i was psychic 100% at this time in my life anyway.

I think doing the tarot cards does open up and develope psychic abilitie's for sure though.

I have not done any readings for strangers so i can't really comment but in my opinion, you are special 'genuine tarot readers' and i would class you as psychic as i feel the term psychic can cover a wide range of gifts and levels of strength of that gift.

I think we are all SPECIAL and PSYCHIC xxMags.

ps. With regards to the artical, didn't read it but the just of it sounds to my that i don't feel psychics are the new psychologists as these people are highly trained in the workings of the mind, where as 'us', we are giving guidance and hope maybe to people who are looking for it. Maybe Psychics are more like a reasuring friend who can help people on their paths in life and give hope through tuff times.

moderndayruth

alec said:
Have you seen this NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91166053

As a trained therapist (not currently practicing) and tarot reader, I've struggled a lot in the past with the "psychic" label. Clients/querents seem to want and need to think of us as psychics. What we are doing is helping them connect to the divine, and to make sense of their lives in an efficient and cost-effective way.

Now, I'm starting to think that I should stop trying to "push the river" and just embrace it.

Alec, does it really matter what is it labeled? I think its important what you do for your clients ( "helping them connect to the divine, and to make sense of their lives in an efficient and cost-effective way"), no?
We don't even have these words in our language, you can't say someone is a "reader" in Montenegrin or Serbian because it means nothing, there aren't psychics either - just one derogatory term that denotes a fortune-teller and that noun sums everyone: coffee cup readers, palm readers, cold readers, frauds... everyone - go explain that Tarot reading is different. :rolleyes:
We have a long way to go, but my point is - i agree that most people see us as psychologists and that's the reason i mostly stopped reading for others because i am not trained in counseling; i don't know where to draw the line and i don't know how to (or can't) NOT empathize because these are all friends or friends of friends...
I am not saying that a reader sans counseling part can be uncompassionate or something, but when someone approaches me with serious behavioral or other problems their kids have etc., i really don't want to get involved into that - i am not trained for that and it would be highly unprofessional of me to give any kind of advice there.
Anyway, given that you can handle that - and more so are trained for that, you are both - a Diviner and a psychologist, and its absolutely wonderful, whatever its called! ;)

ETA: based on the article, i think another appropriate term would be life-coaching...
"A. W. says a psychic helped her friend look to the future, not dwell on the past."
That's what life-coaches do for what i know.

MagsStardustBlack

alec said:
Hi treeleafe,

Yes, you and I are facing similar concerns. Clearly we don't want to use false advertising. Hopefully others will weigh in with some thoughts.

alec

Hi Alec,
here's a thought for you to mull over, it is just one definition of the meaning of 'psychic',

'The term psychic describes someone with the ability to aquire information through extrasensory perception (ESP), and other paranormal abilities such as telepathy, pregognition and clairvoyance etc.'

I have an encyclopedia 850 pages strong of the psycic world, its a broad term. But i would bet that most tarot readers tap into ESP while reading thier cards. xxMags

RexMalaki

alec said:

Anyone else struggling with this?
Thanks!
Alec

P.S. Sorry if this NPR article been posted previously - couldn't find it in the search.

Now that I re-read the OP I am thinking about "The Process"

Dan asks us, "Why do they come to us?"

Hmmm...it's called divination...it's a mystery...It is the hope for something magical in a plastic world...What do we give them? Objectivity? Clarity? Insight?

But I still don't know about the word psychic...sounds commercial almost fraudulent...I mean the connotation of it.

I like Student, Seer, Prophet or Sage...

chrissydogz

moderndayruth said:
Alec, does it really matter what is it labeled? I think its important what you do for your clients ( "helping them connect to the divine, and to make sense of their lives in an efficient and cost-effective way"), no?
We don't even have these words in our language, you can't say someone is a "reader" in Montenegrin or Serbian because it means nothing, there aren't psychics either - just one derogatory term that denotes a fortune-teller and that noun sums everyone: coffee cup readers, palm readers, cold readers, frauds... everyone - go explain that Tarot reading is different. :rolleyes:
We have a long way to go, but my point is - i agree that most people see us as psychologists and that's the reason i mostly stopped reading for others because i am not trained in counseling; i don't know where to draw the line and i don't know how to (or can't) NOT empathize because these are all friends or friends of friends...
I am not saying that a reader sans counseling part can be uncompassionate or something, but when someone approaches me with serious behavioral or other problems their kids have etc., i really don't want to get involved into that - i am not trained for that and it would be highly unprofessional of me to give any kind of advice there.
Anyway, given that you can handle that - and more so are trained for that, you are both - a Diviner and a psychologist, and its absolutely wonderful, whatever its called! ;)

ETA: based on the article, i think another appropriate term would be life-coaching...
"A. W. says a psychic helped her friend look to the future, not dwell on the past."
That's what life-coaches do for what i know.
i know the feeling. i sometimes get clients who happen to be young girls with issues at school,thinking about suicide or concerned parents at the end of his/her rope.

when this happens i have to explain that as a reader it is my duty to tell people whatever i see in the reading and leave it at that. if i really am concerned i"ll ask the client for permission to "stop doing my job" so to speak because ofcoarse i sympathize with some of these people and i want to let them know that i do care. i dont believe psychics,spiritualists,readers,ect should replace psychologists and medical practitioners however. if one is truly concerned about health or mental health i would reccomend them to see a doctor or somebody specializing in psychology.

Le Fanu

I'm not psychic so I don't tell anyone I am. If anything, people come to me with their own notion of what tarot and a tarot reader are. They come positively brimming with preconceived notions, and psychic, for some reason, isn't one of them. No-one has ever asked me if I am psychic.

They are intrigued, they think the cards are mysterious, they think the cards are slightly magical, they think the RWS deck is older than it really is, they think tarot has been used for centuries to tell fortunes (which I don't believe it has), they have no end of beliefs. I just let them hang onto their beliefs and read the cards.

If they ask my opinion - which they rarely do - they might be quite surprised that I have my sceptical moments. I'd probably shatter all their illusions if they pressed me on the matter!