Ok, how about when they keep coming back with basically the same question(s)??

ArwenNightstar

danubhe said:
There is a REALLY annoying - not to say touchy topic!! Any views out there? I have 1 who keeps coming back wanting to know when her man will be leaving his wife... I ask you!!

Is she from Florida and has very poor English? I am reading for someone that is doing this very same thing.

She has bought another reading from me asking me when her man will call her. And they are both married.

It is extremely hard for me not to be judgmental in situations like this, but I just focus on the question and let the cards do the rest.

blackroseivy

That is EXACTLY how *I* feel!

Right now I have an irate client who didn't get the outcome she desired. Blames it on me, natch. I had to block her.

ArwenNightstar

danubhe said:
That is EXACTLY how *I* feel!

Right now I have an irate client who didn't get the outcome she desired. Blames it on me, natch. I had to block her.

Well this woman at least understood when DEATH showed up for her last one card question "Will he call me soon".

Not unless something changes drastically. Sigh.

Umbrae

Sometimes the Gods bedevil us with that that annoys us most. Little tests…

So do we send them away? Or do we sit and learn what it is we’re supposed to learn?

Perhaps WE are the one who’s supposed to learn the lesson.

Remember…reading for others is all about them. Especially when the lesson is meant for us.

There is an old Turkish saying, "As long as I choose to be a Donkey, there will be someone to ride me."

:smoker:

Grizabella

**There is an old Turkish saying, "As long as I choose to be a Donkey, there will be someone to ride me."**

Actually, this got me to thinking of something else that would apply to this situation, at least for me. The saying "As long as I think what I've always thought, I'll get what I've always got".

Now, thinking of it that way, I guess as long as I think what I've always thought about these clients who come again and again with the same questions, I'm going to get what I've always gotten out of the experience and out of the readings I've done for them. Hmmmm-----I'll bet if I keep that in mind next time they come with the same question, I'm going to get something else out of the reading and maybe it will be the answer they really needed to hear to settle the question for them once and for all. Even if it doesn't settle it for them, it will be good exercise for me and I'll probably get something new I can benefit from out of the experience.

blackroseivy

I'll try to keep that in mind. However, I also think I will be upfront with my clients about keeping their Tarot visits to a minimum, that way more meaningful answers will be much more likely to come. Of course, this may only have the result that they will go off & plague somebody else, at least for a while...

Simone

danubhe said:
However, I also think I will be upfront with my clients about keeping their Tarot visits to a minimum, that way more meaningful answers will be much more likely to come.

How about telling them it will be cheaper too? }) And say if the question repeats itself, the price goes up 50% each time lol

Now seriously:

while not reading professionally - I never have - I had one woman coming to me pestering me with the same question over and over again. This is a long time ago and has not happened again.

I think the lady might have had a problem and a lesson to learn, but I had, too. I analysed my annoyment and found I was obsessing, just like her, over an issue at thet time. I immediately saw the mirror and stopped to do something different.

MY life changed, I don't know about hers, but she never asked for a reading again!

BTW, Umbrae, I love that Turkish saying! I think I will type it up, print it, decorate and frame it and look at it each time I have one of those (rare) poor me crisis... way more useful than cards :D

shelikes2read

tarotbear said:
There is no easy solution to this one. People keep returning waiting for you to give them the answer they want to hear. Eventually, you have no chioce but to tell them that they HAVE TO MOVE ON WITH THEIR LIFE, or get a real one, at the very least! LOL! They need to see a mental health counsellor, and you may have to suggest one to them since they are waiting for a situation which is probably not going to happen.

As I discovered by reading the Public Boards part of Kasamba.com (where I recently registered so I could do readings there), they might not just be coming to YOU repeatedly with the same question.

They might be visiting goodness-knows-how-many readers, psychics, etc with the same question.

There is a question on the Kasamba boards right now that asks for a reading on the person's love life. Fair enough. But then the person goes on to say that all the psychics they've gone to have told them conflicting things, they've spent hundreds of dollars looking for answers and they are going broke!

I read that and thought, "AAAARGH!" on that person's behalf. What that person REALLY needs is a psychic or a reader to tell them "Get off your tail, stop going to get readings on this question, and make whatever changes IN YOUR LIFE that you need to make in order to nurture your love life and make it grow".

But that's not an easy or instant answer. It requires effort on the person's part... more effort than plunking down some money and asking for a reading of some sort. So even if they got told that, chances are that this poor person won't actually TAKE that advice unitl they're good and ready to. Meaning more $ out of their pocket and more readings with more conflicting information are probably in their immediate future. And I don't even need to use my cards to make THAT prediction. :(

Poor person. I hope they reach the point where they're ready to move on with life soon, so they can break this cycle and get down to the business of living.

blackroseivy

*sigh* She's still at it, I'm afraid...

She keeps wanting to know "if he's any closer to that divorce". What can I tell her? Last session was like 5 minutes & maybe 2 1/2 cards out of 7 long. She left, not sure if she ran out of money or what, but she didn't come back... I had been telling her that things were going to be slow going. Well, it said so plain as day! My wonderful "Golden" never lies to me! Or hasn't yet, at any rate! :p

So... I will keep telling her the truth. & hope that either that guy you-know-whats or gets off of the you-know-what, OR he leaves her & she grows to be wiser.

Poor person, like you said, SL2R...

Sophie

Umbrae said:
But for them? What is it like for them? Perhaps they are waiting for us to have that one day the cards come up a tad different and something strange and beautiful floats out from between our lips…
That is why I read tarot. Why I read books and poems. Why I listen to Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, why I travel or go skinny-dipping at midnight among the jasmine blooms (not in this season ;)) . It's why I write - to find "something strange and beautiful" floating out from the world.

And tarot does give that. In the most mundane and repetitive of all readings we might see a flower growing in the middle of the pile of manure that has accumulated in front of the querent.

They come circling back with the same question, again and again, because the manure stinks and they can't see a way round it. But what if we plucked that flower for them?

What if, for these querents who can't seem to see the magic in their lives anymore, so close are they to their obsessions ("will he get his divorce?" "will we make up?", "will my sister do her share of looking after Mum?")

...the 6 of Swords meant a boating trip?
...the 2 of Swords meant taking up historical fencing?
...Strength meant going to the circus?
...the Four of Cups meant a picnic under a tree?
...the 5 of Cups means gatecrashing a Greek wedding?
...The Hanged Man meant a bungie jump off the Golden Gate?
...The High Priestess meant curling up with a good book on the steps of a Thai temple?
...The Tower meant a trip to Italy to watch the late summer storms from the leaning tower of Pisa?
...The 8 of Swords meant entertaining children at a party with blind man's buff?
...the 8 of Cups meant going for a long hike in the mountains?
...the 5 of Pentacles meant volunteering for the homeless?

What if we gave them something different than the "get a life" lecture? A glimpse of magic, a yearning for the light that shines between the floor-boards?

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to yearn for the endless immensity of the sea. Saint-Exupéry.

If someone yearns for long enough, they do something about it, or die.

Edited to add: I've just sat in on an hour-long meeting. Like most UN meetings, a lot of it was terminally dull. Then suddenly the head of the department - my boss's boss - started to talk. He is a Malian, from a long line of storytellers. He spoke of vision and opening factories making essential AIDS medicines in Africa and bringing in teenagers and prostitutes to get to know their experience and their needs. This initiative I am working on is new, but the questions it is attempting to answer are not. The initiative is like the 20th psychic consulted. The world has been asking the same questions for 25 years now. But he did two things as he spoke: he opened the horizon and switched the focus. He gave breadth and detail. You could feel the energy in the room change dramatically. That's what a good tarot reading must deliver - especially when the question has been asked again and again.