on NOT buying decks

nisaba

But one thing is that most of us posting in this thread have been buying decks for awhile. People new to tarot still have the delight of buying a number of decks just for getting the feel for the range available and to discover their personal taste.

<contrite> This is true, too. I kinda forget that everyone is not where I am. :(

violetdaisy

I actually don't usually buy tarot decks that often. I have a very small collection and have a self imposed limit of 10 decks. I have to be able to read with them and I have to feel connected to them. If I want # 11 I retire my least favorite. I just gave one to someone starting on their journey yesterday so now I can get another.

nisaba

I just don't want to be stuck, 10 or 15 or 20 years down the line divesting myself of decks and wondering why I bought them in the first place.

But that is a dangerous pleasure in-and-of itself. There are some decks I keep just because there'll be a trade train along some day. I don't like the said deck much, but it will to as something to trade off. :)

nord_drache

This is an amazing thread. I have only one but want more and could afford a handful :)
But I find myself not buying as I am in a geographical position that limits this, I'm just not really feeling mail order purchases. Though I have funded the steampunk tarot - as I love steampunk and I think the idea of crowd funding allows us to help others achieve dreams.
Maybe its part of the change in life occurring now for me, which speaks restraint. Though next week I intend on changing this as my wife and I are planning on heading out for a bit of shopping.
The thing I know about myself is that I can be a very driven collector if I don't watch out - in a manual focus photography (large amount vintage and film) forum I belong to we discussed GAS - gear acquisition syndrome - where we just have to acquire this film camera or this lens. Maybe this is DAS - deck acquisition syndrome :D
Though I do have a batch of Tarot reference books on the way . . . oops another topic right :)

Jim

nisaba

This is an amazing thread. I have only one but want more and could afford a handful :)
But I find myself not buying as I am in a geographical position that limits this, I'm just not really feeling mail order purchases.
Never considered the internet? Geography is no problem.

<seductively> Let me point you towards two of my favourite dealers of my drug of choice.

FLizarraga

This is a thread I should be in, but, sadly, I'm not... :rolleyes:

SunChariot

Is anyone else *not* buying decks at the moment?

Buying decks can be an addiction, I think. When I was buying, a week without a parcel was a dark, cold week, and I craved parcels and trawled ebay and all sorts of other unlikely places.

Then for a raft of reasons, I consciously didn't buy for a year. To start with, it was awful. It felt like coming off cigarettes or coffee: I really, really wanted to do whatever it was, and felt slightly ill and very flat without it. I think I really did have mild withdrawal symptoms, not that it felt mild at the time.

After some time, I realised I wasn't distressed by it any more. Not buying Tarot decks had become normal (I was buying something else to flesh out one of my other collections, for a while). I wasn't just resigned to it, I was quite content. Not ecstatic, but content.

Over the last however-many months, instead of buying new decks I've been trawling my collection for decks I haven't used in a while. Each week or so I'm pulling out another deck I haven't used in a year or two and spending quality time with it. And honestly, it's almost as good as buying new decks! Better, in a way, because I can look through a deck and think "wow. I already own this, I don't have to pay for it. And I already have fond memories of using it ..."

I *will* buy decks again - 160ish decks isn't even a skeleton crew or a scaffolding for a decent collection. But while I am still content with reviewing decks I already have, I'll continue to do it rather than buying new ones.

The last deck I bought was about a year ago. It wasn't a Tarot but a LeNormand.

I never had that kind of feeling when I slowed down and stopped though. I was excited when a deck was coming in the mail. But not much more than if anything I enjoyed was coming in the mail. A new makeup gave me that feeling just as much as a deck did.

I was never a collector in the sense that I only get decks I intend to use. I like to have A LOT because each does talk differently. But by the time I realized I had over 110 (I do still use them all) it dawned on me that there was nothing much more a new deck could add in and my decks I had had enough variety to tell me anything I needed. I may still buy one if it is really unique and fun but I may just as well not. Whatever calls to me down the line.

I get that "new" feeling each time I do a reading even now. As I have so many decks and try to use them fairly evenly, that each time I pull up a deck I barely remember it. LOL

Babs

nord_drache

Never considered the internet? Geography is no problem.

<seductively> Let me point you towards two of my favourite dealers of my drug of choice.

Thanks for the referrals to good dealers :)
Yes I have considered the internet but for some reason my instinct is saying that since what I want is in a physical location I can and will access - physical choice and acquisition is the current preferred choice. :)
Which may be just a way of keeping acquisitions special and not just because . . .

Who knows if I get really hooked with really bad craving I may purchase mail order via the internet.

Jim

Morwenna

<temptingly> It means you have more disposable cash to buy daggers and swords ...

Now, about ten or fifteen years ago that would have been a big point for me! :D But I've gotten fussy about those now too...

Morwenna

I actually don't usually buy tarot decks that often. I have a very small collection and have a self imposed limit of 10 decks. I have to be able to read with them and I have to feel connected to them. If I want # 11 I retire my least favorite. I just gave one to someone starting on their journey yesterday so now I can get another.

I admire your restraint!