One Question, Two Decks

Kuma

I wondered if anyone had every asked the same question of two decks at the same time.

I'm new to AT and I was intrigued by the idea of 'Deck Interviews' and the idea that different decks have particular strengths and weaknesses.

Assuming that I would use a small spread - is this likely to be helpful or confusing?

Kuma :)

gregory

If I did, I would do a new draw from the second deck. I would NOT use the same cards that I had drawn with the first - when I have read for the same question with more than one deck as an exercise, I found that a different deck will give the same message - but through different cards !

Wendywu

I don't think I'd do that to the deck I am studying - I'd be likely to get gobbledygook from it if I insulted it by asking the same question of a second deck. And it would know I planned to do that .....

I could ask next day maybe - but why would you? No matter how many decks you ask, you're gonna get the same answer - you might get different cards but like gregory said, the message would be the same intrinsically.

Umbrae

Content of this post should not be construed as fact, as it is based on opinion.

Interview a deck? That would place the 'power' onto the deck. It denigrates our wisdom and intelligence and places into a bit of paper and ink.

Images trigger thoughts which spark across neurons and bump into other thoughts and words fall from our mouths and sitters gasp in amazement.

Different images trigger different thoughts.

So why not interview our brains...interview our souls...

Why give power to that which is inanimate?

But listen instead to the voice that lives between the cards...

The voice that originates from our own souls...

Kuma

Hello All,

Thanks for replying.

I agree Gregory, that I wouldn't compare the same three cards in one deck with the same three in another. I would draw a new set of cards from the second deck.

Wendywu the idea that a tarot deck could become moody totally freaks me out :/ lol. Seriously though, although the answer may be similar, could it be more in-depth? Provide more information? Put the flesh on the bones, so to speak.

I sortof agree with you Umbrae, it's not the cards themselves but whoever reads them. But surely if one reads a spread based upon the pictures then different decks, different images will 'fire different neurons'?

So while I agree that the abilty lies with the reader, I also believe that different decks can stimulate that ability, make it more vivid, practical, understanding, insightful, meditative and so on depending upon how a card is depicted.

Your thoughts?
Sincerley

theora

this is all very interesting! I do compare cards across decks, particularly for study purposes, and also when reading with a RWS based deck I will sometimes refer to the original RWS card. people change or leave off the strangest things! sometimes it offers some insight.

I do not think of my decks as animate beings with feelings and moods. I have however seen repeated readings on the same question (not "how can I improve that" but the same question over again) go wonky and dark. that just doesn't seem to work.

I like to read on many kinds of questions. I do not think this kind of thing offends the tarot, and it can stretch me. last week, I read cards about the development of condos that is supposedly going in across the street, much to the detriment of our parking, sanity etc (and I live in a converted warehouse right by the freeway and in between two sets of train tracks - hardly a desirable area!) it was a very clear reading, informative and concise.

anyway, my bottom line is this: the tarot doesn't *care* it just *does*. this is why it pulls no punches. if it did, it wouldn't be useful. it's easy to find someone to tell you what you want to hear. we *are* interviewing our souls, in a way. it isn't the cards themselves.

IMHO of course.

DaisyDragonfly

Yes. I frequently do readings with multiple decks. The most intense and probing reading I did for myself was done using the Victorian Romantic, the Bohemian Gothic and the Deviant Moon - all at once.

I don't interview the different decks at the same time, though. Rather, I choose a spread (one where multiple cards are used to clarify a positional meaning) and then, instead of using multiple cards from one deck in one position, I use one card from multiple decks.

The result? An infinitely more satisfying reading. As I've said before on a different thread, it becomes the equivalent of asking a number of friends for their advice instead of just speaking to one. There's a range of perspectives, but it gives a far more rounded view to a situation: especially useful, I think, when reading for oneself.

And when the same card comes up with different decks in the same position? That definitely gives you food for thought. It's definitely an exercise to try at least once :)

Kuma

Yup - I'm sold on it. :)

Maybe not for every read but for some issues that need a more rounded out perspective, like you said DaisyDragonfly. The same card in two seperate decks/one reading has happened with me and it does power up the interpretation. I don't think I'm advanced enough to mix up the decks into a single spread but I'll give it a shot one of these days. :)

I found the same thing with the repeated readings gig theora, a definite clouding over. "Wonky & dark" pretty much puts the puppy in the basket. lol. :D

firemaiden

Umbrae said:
Images trigger thoughts which spark across neurons and bump into other thoughts and words fall from our mouths and sitters gasp in amazement.

But listen instead to the voice that lives between the cards...

The voice that originates from our own souls...

The voice that lives between the cardds ... Yummie. Thanks for this, my friend.

Ronia

I've never interviewed my decks, so I don't know which one is better in this or that, but I've asked the same question and read with different decks, not close in time though. Just don't feel like reading the same deck all the time, they have specific purposes for me - one is best at giving me the harsh truth but very challenging to read with; the second is very gentle and usually easiest to read; the third is a bit magical and I read with it when I think I need a bit of magic to solve a problem. All three are usually giving pretty much the same answer, very often I keep seeing the same cards too.