Others touching my cards

Theworld98

I don't personally mind whether or not they touch my cards IN the reading. What I do is I shuffle the cards first, cut them, then let my client shuffle and cut the deck, then read the cards. I believe that this lets both of our energies bond with the cards and because I am so close to my cards, shuffling first seems to feel like i'm giving them the "OK" to give insight to my client. This might sound odd but it's what I feel guided to do.

Padma

I cleanse my cards with shuffling and crystals, so unless the people have really bad sanitary habits, I don't mind. When reading publicly, I offer a hand sanitizer or hand wipes first. :)

I also find people are so intimidated by the cards, that they handle them gently. There is only the odd one that handles them roughly, and are quickly verbally checked. Lay out the boundaries before you begin, and people generally comply.

PattyMc

Great tip about the hand sanitizer Lotus! :)

Patty

Scibility

I perfer not to have people handle them. Though, sometimes I will let people look through the cards afterwards so they can enjoy the images or see what a Tarot deck really looks like.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone else does readings where they do not have the subject touch the cards.

-Jade-
Sort of on-topic/off topic: Oneday I purchased a demo deck from a store. I didn't have any preconceived ideas other than wondering about a deck that had been handled probably by hundreds of people. The deck was pretty well broken in too.

Well, that deck has by far been the one I feel gives the most accurate readings. Funny thing is it was a deck I was never really interested in ever having. Maybe touching them up adds a special spice to the mix :) Do you buy used decks?

Scibility

Yup! :)

Usually from people I know or trust or like, though!

Hi Lotus Padma :) so that would rule out Ebay I guess. Aside from touched up cards I guess there would be other things to consider buying decks from strangers (missing cards, stolen decks etc.) Good Advice. Have a good one Lotus.

sorry for digressing moderators :)

Padma

I buy my used cards here, from long-time members. No regrets, ever! :D

nisaba

Oneday I purchased a demo deck from a store. I didn't have any preconceived ideas other than wondering about a deck that had been handled probably by hundreds of people.
People that get all precious about not allowing others to handle their decks, forget about the creators, the publishers, the printers and all their staff, the warehousers, the wholesalers, the mailmen, the retailers etc.

Hundreds of people touch a mint-condition deck.

And if the defence against that argument is "but they were wrapped", then obviously if the energy from someone else's touch is so weak it can't get through wrapping, then it is far too weak to affect your continuous relationship with a deck. People fret about a momentary contact of only a few seconds when they've owned a deck for years - I find that amusing and annoying, both at once. :)

Do you buy used decks?
Yep. Why wouldn't I?

Holly doll

I laminated a few decks - not because I don't like others touching them - far from it; it's more about others sanitary habits, spilled candle wax, tea or coffee stains, as well as past rough handling by one particular client (who has since found another reader - *claps hands gleefully...*). After a long week of use I wipe them over with a sanitising tissue & they're good to go!

greatdane

Some decks I don't mind, others I do. Depends on my deck. It's not that I don't think I can read with a deck someone has touched, it's just a preference. If someone has clean hands and wants to look through a deck, most I'm fine with. But I am the one who reads and shuffles and cuts the way I wish to, so no I don't have them do that just because that's not my style of reading. But I don't see anything wrong with it if someone else reads for sitters that way, allowing them to shuffle, cut, whatever. I do have a couple decks that are mine, I do my own readings with them, so I got one for me, one for querents. Basically I think it's we're the readers, our rules, our preferences, whatever they are.