Pagan tarot - uusi

decan

I will probably receive my book in a few days, well I try to dampen my optimism :)

Le Fanu

Does the book explain any of the Shamanic symbolism of some of the courts? Those courts with animal heads and horns and antlers are quite compelling. I have the book on the way. Just impatient.

martykens

As you point out the Nine of Swords, I would also point out the Five of Cups, where Hamlet's "To be, or not to be" monologue is quoted; this gave me an aha! moment about the skull on the ground, so now that skull doesn't seem so random (ooh, tarot is spooky, throw in a skull!) anymore.

I'll have to check out the 5 of Cups as well, I was wondering if there might be a deeper association there. Thanks for sharing this :)

Does the book explain any of the Shamanic symbolism of some of the courts? Those courts with animal heads and horns and antlers are quite compelling. I have the book on the way. Just impatient.

Le Fanu- While I've not read the book in it's entirety, here's an excerpt from the Queen of Pentacles:
"Walking barefoot through her realm, The Queen of Pentacles wears a gown of soft, pink silk covered with an elaborately woven woodland corset, and a commanding ram's head as her crown, a symbol of strength and leadership. A charitable beauty who governs with a protective and generous spirit."
And from the King of Wands:
"This King does not perch on a throne, but stands instead like a mountain, one with nature and himself. At his side rests a male lion, a king of the animal world. They share an unforced bond shown in the simple, grass cord that connects them together. He wears a lion's pelt as a cape, further inhabiting the powerful spirit of that animal."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tibor

I received the book. Whilst I like it overall I do have some first impressions:

It's a small or pocket sized book which I was not expecting although I'm not saying it in a negative way. At first glance it does seem to contain decent description of all the cards although some cards seem to have more detailed descriptions than others.

However, there are no spreads at all or anything about 'Reading the cards' (not that I don't know how to read tarot cards) but I was hoping for at least one unique spread specifically designed for this deck and the fact that there was none was kind of disappointing.

All in all this book is exactly what it says on the tin which is simply the artists' notes on each card. In terms of the physical characteristics of the book: it's about 15 cm all around as it's a square paperback and if I'm to compare it to the outstanding quality of the deck itself than I must say that it's way overpriced at least for what I had to pay for it (ordered from the UK for £32.51).

PS: Since it is also in black and white I think it would have been sufficient to just sell it as an ebook.......

Le Fanu

Le Fanu- While I've not read the book in it's entirety, here's an excerpt from the Queen of Pentacles:
"Walking barefoot through her realm, The Queen of Pentacles wears a gown of soft, pink silk covered with an elaborately woven woodland corset, and a commanding ram's head as her crown, a symbol of strength and leadership. A charitable beauty who governs with a protective and generous spirit."
"This King does not perch on a throne, but stands instead like a mountain, one with nature and himself. At his side rests a male lion, a king of the animal world. They share an unforced bond shown in the simple, grass cord that connects them together. He wears a lion's pelt as a cape, further inhabiting the powerful spirit of that animal."
Thanks, martykens. That gives me an idea. The text doesn't look so extensive, but something to ponder...

decan

(...) here's an excerpt from the Queen of Pentacles:

Is it an excerpt from the Queen of Pentacles and the King of Wands, I mean there is more than 2 or 3 sentences about each of these cards? Do I understand properly?

Apart from this I sent an email yesterday to Uusi to ask some informations because I received my shipping notice one week ago but there are no tracking informations concerning my booklet: "USPS awaiting item" is the only information that I still have until today.
Well, it is maybe a mistake but I am a bit disappointed by what I read lately, I am sorry to say it. :(

donnalee

I REALLY LIKE THE BOOK! ahaha! I find it sturdy, attractively-printed, on heavy good paper, and I love that the cards are there, larger than the deck size, in black and white. Some of the card details of the majors are printed large enough to take up a full page each, which I appreciate--it adds to the insights possible int he cards, i think, to see some part of them so very large. I was also glad to get the little bookmark and postcard of the queen of swords with it in a strong clear plastic bag.

I find each page of notes just fine--there is a little something new and subtle on each page so far, and I have been using it as a sort of oracle itself: I either open it at random and see what the page tells me, or I draw a card and look it up, and I keep learning new things all the time. *shrug* I love the deck and was very happy with it without any book, and I will continue to be happy with it without checking every page for every card I draw, but of course everyone has different tastes and desires, so it is unlikely to suit everyone. Still, it is the nicest book I have seen of any tarot companion guide, and it is so clearly in the same energy as the deck, so I am very happy with it. It's an art book in many ways, which would account for the cost as well.

starlightexp

I'm still waiting on the book but I do know that neither of them were truly 'tarot readers' and because of such I was not thinking it was going to be a greatly involved, in depth look at the cards. I was thinking it would be more like an art notebook from the perspective on what influenced the deck. I can't wait for it. All in all the quality of the goods that they have put out have given me such confidence in what they make that I'll like it.

decan

Yes, I think that I will consider this book-booklet more like an artist's notebook on heavy good paper (good to know this), rather than a book more intellectual in some way.
Actually at first I ordered the book to know what inspired the artist-creators in order to understand why they chose to depict a card this or that way.

decan

I received today my book; it is a small quality book, not a booklet. I received it with a post card of the Queen of Swords and a very nice little bookmark. It was a neat package!

Actually I am not disappointed (I was a bit anxious about this) and I found the book fine. :)
There are explanations and descriptions for each of the cards, some commentaries are a bit more detailed than others and they tend to go to the point, that's right.
I didn't read all of course but the explanations are inspiring, there is a spiritual touch in the way things are explained, and we can understand with the book what remains a bit mysterious without it; for example what tool holds the Hierophant or what the Page of Wands has on his face etc.
For me it's okay!