Pages for a website

Carla

Great looking site. Well done. I love the "to go to" page, too :)

Too many photos can make it look cluttered, and also are a pain for anyone on crap dial-up (that was me, not so long ago...) Just a thought.

Thanks, Gregory. The 'Go-To' page is actually my Blog, but since it only has one entry so far, I guess it's hard to tell! :)

Carla

Damn damn damn! I tried with the shrink thingy and it sill won't accept my picture. It's the same dang photo I've got on here and on my webpage. I DON'T UNDERSTAND! :(

gregory

Where ARE you trying to put it ? I have it absolutely tiny now.... (2.36 kb !) (it would work for all the places I have IDs....) In fact it is smaller than the one I use for google (which is 3.something)

Carla

You know when you follow someone's blog, your little avatar goes there? Well, for some reason mine is a 'no photo' one, so I click 'edit photo' but no matter what I try to put in there, it refuses to accept anything. I give up! I'll just have to be the faceless one! :p

Torkie

[This is just a lil' comment about what pages to put on a website, if someone comes around later looking for info]

Torkie's Exciting Web Tutorialz!

• If someone is really looking for info about you, two or three pages won't cut it, even if they cover all the basic information. Many people (myself included) want to thoroughly research a product or service before we purchase it.
• Some people may disagree, but I say as long as each page is clean, relevant, and well put together, you can never have too many. Make sure that your most important & basic pages (welcome, about me, get a reading, etc.) are always the most accessible.

Pages that everyone should have:
• Welcome/introductory home page (if you are building your own site from scratch, this would be your index page)
• About Me/How I Read
• How to order a reading, including appointment times, prices, and so on.
• Contact me (without ordering any service)
• Site map*, an excellent tool for someone looking for a specific page, especially if you have nested menus.

Pages that most people should consider:
• Testimonials. Don't over-do it; you don't need to force something out of every sitter. But you can keep a track record of positive comments stemming from your best readings. [recent testimonials tell people your site is up to date, and not long-abandoned]
• About Tarot. Some people curious about a reading may be very unfamiliar with tarot and all things involved. This is also a good chance to display your personality and take on tarot.
• Separate ordering pages - if you offer a variety of methods for reading, like face-to-face, e-mail, and phone, you may consider splitting them up in to different pages so that they don't get to crowded.
• Other ways to get in touch. This page will probably be pretty short, and can list your Twitter account, blog, other websites, and Facebook if you're so inclined.

Pages that are good to add, if you are so inclined:
• Resources. If you link to other sites, it connects you to the Internet. People will not feel like your site exists in a void (very important if you are building a site by hand and not using a blog service). Consider having a neat page linking to sites that have helped you, like AT, or to the authors of helpful books, deck artists, local metaphysical shops, friends who provide psychic services, etc., are all good ideas.
• Other services - if you also make tarot bags, ritual items, jewelry, cakes, what have you, consider creating a page detailing those services.
• Photo gallery. If you attend a lot of seminars, events, workshops, ren faires, or even have photos of your lovely reading space, a tasteful photo gallery (with RESIZED pictures) is a great personal touch [this corral for all your pics is also a good way to keep the rest of your site from being overrun].
• My Decks; a list of decks you have, including photos if you don't run in to big copyright issues. This may also be a good place to list a crystal collection if it's important to your reading, and other similar doo-dads.
• Availability - if you often read in fairs or for public events, consider an availability page detailing how far you will travel and for what circumstances.
• For-fun pages - if you are building your own site and can somewhat code, consider adding a dynamic page that calculates soul cards, life cards, day cards, etc.
• Learn Tarot. I "teach" tarot (yes, I impart my wisdom of the ages...) to people who are interested. Even if you don't teach or coach new readers, consider linking to helpful sites that got you started, as well as linking starting decks on Amazon.**
• "Site Last Updated..." marker on your footer or somewhere convenient tells people that your site is recent and that someone will be on the receiving end of an e-mail.

As for pages to not include (again, my take on it all):

I don't consider my website to be a teaching tool for young, aspiring readers, so I won't be adding card interpretations or meanings.

I would also not try to double-up my site for two completely different areas of my life, even if they could both use a site ("Torkie's Tarot Readings and DnD Campaign Group!") Even if you come across something you *must* share with the world, I wouldn't put it on my site unless it's specifically related to the site's purpose (selling my tarot skills).

I would be careful embedding videos and tons of photos (unless those photos are in a gallery). Video quality must be very high to look professional, and a grainy and poorly produced video might damage your site's aesthetic image.

*I don't know if blogs can have site maps, so I'm not sure this would be an option for them. I do know that site maps for hand-made websites are VERY important, as they allow search engines to better index your site.

**I realize some people are wary about teaching potential clients to read for themselves, so this one really depends on how you feel about it. I list my services as a "coach" but not online guides and decks, so it's up to you.

gregory

You know when you follow someone's blog, your little avatar goes there? Well, for some reason mine is a 'no photo' one, so I click 'edit photo' but no matter what I try to put in there, it refuses to accept anything. I give up! I'll just have to be the faceless one! :p

I don't admit to following ANYONE's blog - but that seems odd. I went to my google account and I have a pic in there, but... I can't even work out how to change it ! (I have no idea even how it GOT there...)

Carla

Thanks for the tips, Torkie! I'd appreciate any personal advice you can give me about my blog. The link is under my name in the dropdown menu, as you know. :) It's a work in progress!

Torkie

Certainly, although I warn you: I can be a bit of a boor ;)

I'll PM you about it after I take a look.

Carla

Torkie, thanks for your feedback. It's very helpful!